Bard Song and Silence

Silence, however, should effectively negate musical instruments (it's a silenced zone, not jinxed vocal chords), poetry, and nearly all forms of bardic expression. I'd say having Silence block bard song, while perhaps unfair to bardic mimes, is likely to accurately reflect the effects of silence more than not having Silence block any bard song.

Looking into this, it's a lot more complicated than I thought. There's no way to disable the bard song button--it's possible to do some hacky workaround that sets the effects of bard song to nothing when silenced. In addition, all of the items and spells which protect/dispel silence would also have to restore bard song.

I'm open for implementation suggestions.

Looking into this, it's a lot more complicated than I thought. There's no way to disable the bard song button--it's possible to do some hacky workaround that sets the effects of bard song to nothing when silenced.
That's odd that opcode 144 can disable just about every button apart from bard song (though I'm not sure I see Find Traps either). Since Silence has a duration, could you use opcode 251 to change the bard song effect to nothing (as you seem to be suggesting) for the same duration? After it expires, wouldn't it revert to whatever it was before? Would you have to invent a spell that does nothing for the resource, or could you just leave it blank to indicate a null value?

But change it back to what? We'd need to know if we're changing it back to default bard song, or a jester's (or Random Kit Mod X). That catch--spells can not target by kit, so we'd need to add a layer of script wonk. All sorts of fun ways we can get this to break irreversibly.

Raises an interesting question about what "developer intent" means, doesn't it? - I can easily imagine just this same conversation taking place in Bioware a few weeks before the shipping date, and them deciding not to change it precisely because of how damn complex it was going to be...

Archived