If strength bonus for slings was a bug, then why..

Unlike most other slings, the Sling of Seeking is capable of throwing stones and allowing a strength bonus to be applied to the damage it inflicts.

From the description of the Sling of Seeking. I'd say that's pretty clear that other slings are not supposed to have a Strength bonus.

From the description of the Sling of Seeking.  I'd say that's pretty clear that other slings are not supposed to have a Strength bonus.

It wouldn't be the first time the game text was wrong now would it?

And why do all the BG1 slings have a strength bonus?

To me it seems natural that slings would add a strength bonus. The harder you can swing a sling the more damage it would do.

The same could be said of bows--the further you can draw the bowstring, the more damage it should do. However, bows also lack strength bonuses in damage.

Magical bullets also add a strength bonus, but I don't think they should........ :)
From the description of the Sling of Seeking.  I'd say that's pretty clear that other slings are not supposed to have a Strength bonus.

Agreed on both.

And why do all the BG1 slings have a strength bonus?

I interpret this as more evidence that slings should not have strength bonuses, as it means the devs consciously removed the flag when updating the files for BG2.

The same could be said of bows--the further you can draw the bowstring, the more damage it should do. However, bows also lack strength bonuses in damage.

No sorry, as someone who used to shoot bows, an archer proficient with a bow should be able to draw the bow back as far as possible. It doesn't matter how strong you are the bow will only be able to pull back so far.

With slings ( overhead slings ) there is no limitation to the speed you can reach, except your own ability to swing it.

But what was the condition of slings before you guys changed it? Didn't most slings give a strength bonus or was it just Everard and the Sling of Seeking?

Everard (in the unbalderdashed game), and the sling of seeking were the only slings that applied a strength bonus in BG2. Any sling, however, will currently grant a strength bonus if you are using magical bullets. Judging by Cam's statement I would assume that this won't be the case in the next Alpha.

Magical bullets no longer provide strength bonuses. Included in alpha 6.

// disallows str bonus for magic bullets
COPY_EXISTING ~bull02.itm~ ~override~
             ~bull03.itm~ ~override~
             ~bull04.itm~ ~override~
             ~bull05.itm~ ~override~
             ~bull06.itm~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) THEN BEGIN // protects against invalid files
   READ_LONG   0x64 "abil_off"
   READ_SHORT  0x68 "abil_num"
   WHILE ("%abil_num%" > 0) BEGIN // looks for ranged ability header
     SET "abil_num" = ("%abil_num%" - 1)
     READ_BYTE   ("%abil_off%" +        ("%abil_num%" * 0x38)) "type"
     PATCH_IF ("%type%" = 2) BEGIN // ranged ability check
       WRITE_BYTE  ("%abil_off%" + 0x26 + ("%abil_num%" * 0x38)) 0 // disallow strength bonus
     END
   END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Archived