Andyr's Subrace Musings...

Andyr

Caedwyr has made quite a list here, and NiGHTMARE has done some stuff in the workrooms too. I thought I'd share my thoughts. Mostly I want variety but not billions of redundant choices. :D

Good Ideas

Human:

Standard

Tiefling (Baatezu) - 5% fire resist, +1 INT.

Tiefling (Tanar'ri) - 5% electricity resist, +1 INT.

Aasimar - 5% electricity resist, +1 WIS.

Genasi (Air) - 10% electricity resist.

Genasi (Water) - 10% cold resist.

Genasi (Earth) - 10% acid resist.

Genasi (Fire) - 10% fire resist.

Nymph blood - +1 CHR.

Yuan-ti blood - 5% magic resist, +1 INT.

Half-elf:

Standard

Aquatic

Fey'ri (Note I put this in here not in Elf) - 5% electricity resist, +1 INT, +1 CHR, -1 CON.

Elf:

Moon

Sun

Sylvan

Dwarf:

Hill (gold)

Mountain (shield)

Gnome:

Rock

Halfling:

Hairfoot

Stout

Tallfolk

Half-breed:

Half-orc

Tanarukk - 5% electricity resist, +1 STR, +1 CON, -1 INT, -1 CHR

Half-ogre

Half-orog

Ogrillion

Unless they've changed it for 3E, minotaurs can only produce other minotaurs, mating exclusively with human females. Like were-creatures, they are the subject of a curse and are not a race as such.

I know that Krynnish minotaurs are different and I don't have any info on them, so maybe you're talking about them, but I just thought I'd point it out. :D

Tiefling: First we need to find out if Yugoloth actually can reproduce with Humans.

Yuan-ti: yes, while a human and Pureblood Yuan-ti admittedly do produce another Pureblood Yuan-ti, the race was created by their god gradually (over the course of several generations) corrupting humans into something like his own form. It seems to me that there will probably be a relatively large number of people who are descended from the earlier generations (whose children were never fully corrupted for one reason or other, e.g. they stopped worshipping the god). Of course, most of them will never even realise it. Plus "Snakeblood" is valid in 3rd Edition, so there is a precedent :D

Aquatic Elves: Half-Aquatic only methinks.

Wild Elves vs. Wood Elves: even half-Elves have significantly different abilities (e.g. +1 DEX & -1 INT for half-Wild, +1 STR & -1 CON for half-Wood) so I don't see why they should be lumped in together. BTW calling either of these subraces "Sylvan" is apparently an insult :D

Half-Orogs: You didn't mention them, but I'd definitely like to include these... if only because they're one of the few races that (believe it or not) actually has a bonus to their Charisma.

Half-Dragons: I agree they shouldn't be allowed, but I would still like to have humans with Dragon ancestors (i.e. 1/16th Dragons, or whatever :D). They would not be anywhere near as powerful as Half-Dragons, but still provide some interesting abilities.

Half-Troll: no more unusual than many of the others! :D They're apparently detailed in one of the 3E books - Fearsome Foes - which I'm currently downloading.

BTW I found (in Dragon Magazine #300) another species who can have offspring with Humans: the Kuo-Toa!

Rob: That's why I put them in the Not Worth It section. :D

NiGHTMARE: I assume Yugoloths can, if Tanar'ri and Baatezu can. But some official source would be useful.

Half-orogs could be good, too. I guess there is no harm with another half-breed race or two.

Kuo-Toa: Uh, maybe not... :D

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

From what I looked at, the Yugoloths focus too much on the animalistic side to be able to interbreed with humans. They tend to like to get souls and rebuild a new demon rather than give birth to a demon.

@Bigrob: I did come across an entry for a Manotaur (human/minotaur cross) in a 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms monstrous manual, but since they are far too Minotaurish I also included them in the not worth it section.

I've checked up some info on Yuan-ti and the human subrace version would be refered to as a Pureblood Yuan-ti. There are three types of Yuant-ti within the general term for Yuan-ti. Purebloods (lowest rank), Half-breeds, and Abominations.

Purebloods can pass for humans 80% of the time. They may have slit eyes, a forked tongue, or even small fangs. Otherwise they appear as normal humans. They have 20% magic resistance, a +2 bonus to their intelligence, and they can cast as an innate ability once per day each: cause fear, darkness 15' radius, snake charm, sticks to snakes, neutralize poison, suggestion, and polymorph other.

I'd put this race as a human subrace like you have done. The description of them lists Yuan-ti as Chaotic Evil, but given the PC's upbringing I'd say that as with every other race, all Alignments should be possible.

I like the subrace options available that you mentioned although I think the Aasimar should get +10% COLD resistance and a +1 WIS and CHA bonus. Just a thought. Anyway, lets keep the ideas flowing. I also noticed that you did not include drow in your elf subrace section. I think this would be a good idea, though you would have to balance their not having many of the drow powers by saying that the PC spent most of his life on the surface world and perhaps give him/her some of the drow powers back as he adventures and gains levels particularly when spending time in the Underdark. Magic resistances etc. should definitely be held closely in check.

Half-Dragons: I agree they shouldn't be allowed, but I would still like to have humans with Dragon ancestors (i.e. 1/16th Dragons, or whatever :)).  They would not be anywhere near as powerful as Half-Dragons, but still provide some interesting abilities.

isn't that what sorceres are, or is that just in 3e.

I had been looking at the nwn manual and it only said dragon so i got confused. srry.

Half-Orogs: You didn't mention them, but I'd definitely like to include these... if only because they're one of the few races that (believe it or not) actually has a bonus to their Charisma.

maybe i'm confusing orogs with ogors, but hows that possible

Archived