Serenity: Grim's Official Review

Grim Squeaker

The dialogue wasn't too bad, though the 'rousing speech' moment was very very cheesy.  I kept hoping that a shark would jump out and eat one of them, but no.  :p

Joss got really good at writing cheesy "rousing speeches" in the last season of Buffy. :) I'm still hoping to go see this in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'll just have to content myself with watching the series on Sci-Fi Channel. The last 2 unaired episodes are this week and next.

I also think the hippy girl was supposed to be really good at kung fu because her mind was honed by the Alliance. Like Pai Mei, the old sensei from Kill Bill. Mind over matter.

Mind is all right and good, but if you a not strong enough, if you don't have stamina, you won't do much of every-day's activities, let alone the fights. And well, strength is in muscules, and stamina is not something a chronically starved person develops. If you are as severely underweight because you eat every other day, not because you exercise 8 hours a day, you just won't be strong. If they used an athletically lean woman, whose body speaks of strength and endurance developped over years of hard regimen, I would not mind.

You don't need to be all that strong to be a good fighter. After all, most martial arts teach you that you should use your opponent's own strength against them, and indeed many black belts I've seen pictures of look relatively weedy :p. And of course, martial arts practice often consists far more of meditation than physical work out.

Again, lean and athletic does not equate the skinny, exhausted body produced by starvation. Martial artists are strong and spend hours upon hours a day in training and toning their body since very young age, as well as meditating. It is a pleasent dream to think that a girl like I can be like totally kick ass, if I just like focus enough, but it is simply untrue.

Who said it did? River doesn't look particularly starved to me :p. If you knew how to move your body with the minimum of energy expenditure, could predict your opponent's moves, and understand how to use said moves against him, you wouldn't be especially reliant on strength. If you could compound these abilities with psychic powers, you'd be able to beat anyone who relied solely on their own strength.

A person who fights always rely on strength. There is just no alternative. If you can't lift a cat off the ground without strain, I am sorry, I don't see a person like that being able to kick. Your own body has weight that you have to push around to fight. Contractile strength is very important for the quickness of motions. In my absolutely non-existant experience, something termed 'the strength in motion' seems to be something ma's would not mind having. Some martial artists advocate modified weight training even, while some do not like it. Independently of the way the musculs are honed, I think it will be visible in the body. I do not know how this Rivers looks like, but that girl in Van Helsen (?) made me roll my eyes.

Well in her fight scenes she is fighting brutish thuglike creatures who aren't at all at all coordinated in their fighting. She is an agile dancer (both actress and character), who has been trained for combat and can read the intentions from her foes' minds. It makes her pretty efficient at being able to avoid their attacks and kick them in the face.

PS: Please don't compare anything to Van Helsing. That film was just too bad for words.

PS: Please don't compare anything to Van Helsing. That film was just too bad for words.

'Twas, but all the time I was watching it, I had a nugging feeling that it *could* have been good because there were certain interesting ideas in it. It was a painful experience.

Tae Yun Kim is one of the highest ranking female martial artists on the entire planet, and she doesn't exactly look all that physically strong: http://www.completemartialarts.com/whoswho...s/taeyunkim.gif

She does not look thin and wobbly either. And has a frightening haircut.

Have not seen it in full yet, but definitely will do so, based on the good ratings, quite lavish praise of critics and advice of friends who have similar tastes to mine. The trailers also look very, very exciting.

Based on the photos and the trailer, I can say that I've no doubts whatsoever about Summer Glau having a body athletic enough to kick some serious ass. Also, wouldn't call her bad looking, not at all.

I had similar problem to what Kulyok complains about when watching Kill Bill. Uma Thurman appeared far too scrawny and starved for that role, some of her hits that floored a huge man didn't appear to have any power behind them at all. In that aspect, River already looks far, far more convincing in the trailer. :p

Archived