Grim Squeaker

Serenity: Grim's Official Review

Ewwww.... no, I should not have opened the picture. *looks sick* No, to me, (and those I've been to the cinema with) she was ugly, flat and frail, and I fear I won't change my opinion.

Damn you, Joss Whedon with your stupid Cordy-being-taken-over-by-demon plot!

If it makes you feel better, it's since been revealed that Jasmine was actually a renegade "angel" (or rather, one of the Powers That Be), rather than a demon :).

I don't think anything can ever make me feel better about those blasted last two seasons of Angel. Stupid Jasmine. Why couldn't she have come out of Fred? Or maybe even Wesley. GRRRRRRRR. :p

What did people think of Inara then in the movie? Frail, pretty?

From the series you would know that she is perhaps one of the more well trained in various fighting arts and though she isn't psychic has been known to use those femine wiles from time to time.

To be honest the fact that the series didn't have any superstars and Whedon kept them all for the movie was pretty good. And considering what it cost to make, (40 million or so?) if good movies could be produced this cheaply on a regular basis I'd be willing to put up with the odd "suspend your disbelief while this waif kicks some ass" scenes.

We might see a lot more decent movies then. Waterworld or 6 Serenity quality movies...anyone?

Waterworld had a great concept. Damn Costner. He fucks everything up. Rrgh.

And re: River being the heroine, she seemed more like "the powerful artifact that could unleash untold destruction upon the world, so the heroes have to keep out of the evil dudes clutches" than anything. Gina Torres and the horny mechanic girl were more heroic than her, although that's just me.

Animal Mother was cool, too. He's like the space version of The Man With No Name.

Edited by Ghreyfain

My impression of Inara, having not watched the series, is that she was eye candy and the love interest... and not much else besides. The fight scene where she kept running in and getting smacked into the wall didn't really help - though I'm glad she had the smarts to set off a bomb (I thought it was actually a long incense-shaped needle with which she could have stabbed the bad guy to death. That would have been great.) She also wore highly inappropriate clothing for space travel but she looked so utterly gorgeous, I can't really blame her.

I loved the stilted conversation between her and Mal - that was pure Angel flashback. :p

Her SPACE LONGBOW was pretty dumb. And yeah, her attempts at wrestling with the space assassin reminded me a lot of the scene in The Princess Bride where Wesley's attacked by an ROUS and Buttercup whacks--not even whacks, pokes--it feebly with a log a few times.

Damn fine movie! Any inconsistancies on physical appearances, etc... just don't add up the pure entertainment value of the flick itself. Besides the great storyline, which kept you guessing, entertained, and without cheesy tactics to do it - the cast has been given some of the best lines in modern film. :p

Edit: Oh, and Kostner should be strapped to a chair and forced to watch his own movies back-to-back for an entire weekend. It'd be a violation of human rights according to the Geneva Convention, but it'd stop the horror the future movies of his may bring.

Edited by hlidskialf

So, um, does that mean that for female character to be interesting and the film to be good she has to be *hawt*? For that's more annoying than having fragile girls kick-ass could ever be. That way we would could only have movies with Keira Knightly and Scarlet Johansson or whoever the hawt flavour of the month currently happened to be. A rather boring thought really (in my opinion of course).

I haven't seen this particular movie (in fact, I've never heard of the series or the movie before, but that's just me), but are you suggesting this is any different from the current situation? I can't think of any movies I've seen lately (and I do see most of them) which features a somewhat subpar, let alone decidedly ugly main heroine. Of course, this could be just the movies I watch, but I doubt it. "Hawtness" is undeniably a big factor in determining the main heroine's actress.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, really. I don't mind having a cute rather than an ugly main actress, if only because I've got to look at the screen for one and a half hour. On the other hand, looks shouldn't rule over acting talent, either.

... That way we would could only have movies with Keira Knightly ...

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

I suppose that if we would have Ms. Knightly work day and night acting on every single movie coming out she would not be able to maintain that hawtness for very long. :p A girl needs her beauty nap, you know. :)

So, um, does that mean that for female character to be interesting and the film to be good she has to be *hawt*? For that's more annoying than having fragile girls kick-ass could ever be. That way we would could only have movies with Keira Knightly and Scarlet Johansson or whoever the hawt flavour of the month currently happened to be. A rather boring thought really (in my opinion of course).

I haven't seen this particular movie (in fact, I've never heard of the series or the movie before, but that's just me), but are you suggesting this is any different from the current situation? I can't think of any movies I've seen lately (and I do see most of them) which features a somewhat subpar, let alone decidedly ugly main heroine. Of course, this could be just the movies I watch, but I doubt it. "Hawtness" is undeniably a big factor in determining the main heroine's actress.

Well, while I wouldn't call Summer Glau ugly or even unpretty (though that's matter of opinion of course) I honestly don't think that she was chosen for the role because she was drop dead gorgeous. On the other hand I would not call her 'the main heroine' either - the series were very clearly an ensemble without obvious main characters. Of couse I don't know how much this has been sacrificed for the movie.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, really. I don't mind having a cute rather than an ugly main actress, if only because I've got to look at the screen for one and a half hour. On the other hand, looks shouldn't rule over acting talent, either.

I'd say that Whedon definitely provides a variety of gorgeousness in other actresses of Firefly crew that everyone should be able to choose their favourite. :)

I'm not saying that they should rather choose non-pretty actress instead of pretty just for sake of being somehow politically correct, but rather that (in my opinion again) that the chosen actress should not be judged outright bad just because she was not hollywood beautiful.

Summer Glau - unattractive apparently...

Well everyone has their own tastes, and we have to respect that.

(Even though it's blatantly obvious that everyone who doesn't like Firefly/Serenity just has bad taste :p )

That said, the day acting ability is measured as some kind of beauty contest rather than talent contest is a sad day indeed.

She has strong legs, and good torso. The actor girl looked much worse.

The "actor girl"'s legs don't look much worse to me: http://www.fireflyfans.net/bluesunimages/3...86D36E94505.jpg

Ugh. UGH. GAG. GROSS. GAAAAH.

Appropriate Halloween picture -- scary stick-lady. She'd make a great Forsaken (Undead) character in WoW, I'm sure you can see every bone in her spine anyway. I could snap that little thing in two with one hand, and I'm not exactly a martial artist myself.

Dancers are thin. However, they are MUSCLED. No way could that anorexic twig keep up with a ballerina in any way. She's not wiry, she's just skinny, skeletal, and disturbing. If she gained about 30 pounds and worked out for strength and health, she might be attractive.

And the martial arts woman's body is nothing, nothing like hers. The martial arts lady looks incredibly sturdy. Those legs are strong, and I don't see how anyone could not see it. She also looks like anyone who tried to knock her over would fall over himself while she stood there grinning. The Firefly girl? A gentle breeze could take her.

"Glau, a native of San Antonio, Texas, was classically trained as a ballerina and also studied tango and flamenco. A professional dancer from the age of 12, Glau relocated to Los Angeles in 2002. She appeared in a few television commercials, but Glau's first television credit was a guest role on the 2002 episode "Waiting in the Wings" (episode 3x13), of the television series Angel (playing a ballerina), where she caught the eye of producer Joss Whedon, who later cast her in Firefly."

Ugh. UGH. GAG. GROSS. GAAAAH.

If you honestly think this girl is gross, I hope you never see any truly ugly women. You'd probably have a heart attack.

Guest Bons
No way could that anorexic twig keep up with a ballerina in any way. She's not wiry, she's just skinny, skeletal, and disturbing. If she gained about 30 pounds and worked out for strength and health, she might be attractive.

I've known dozens of women with eating disorders, face to face, and seen what it does to their bodies. Throwing around these sentiments based off of one fuzzy picture demonstrates ignorance.

What I find most disturbing in this thread is the degree of vehemence and hatred directed toward the appearance and body image of this woman. The needless attacking of people who do not match your ideal standards of beauty is poisoning American society.

As far as how Summer Glau relates to the actual plot of "Serenity," I found it implausible that one person, whether a girl or a military juggernaut, could single-handledly devastate dozens or hundreds of opponents without being overrun by sheer numbers. For that kind "give me a break" moment, I blame Joss, not the actress.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.