Serenity: Grim's Official Review

Grim Squeaker

I got the impression, however, that the movie was more Joss' way of tying up loose ends and giving some sense of closure to the storyline rather than simply a way to make money.  I could be wrong, but that's my impression anyway.

Apparently the general plot involving the Reaver backstory was planned for near the end of the second season. And Alan Tudyk (Wash) made a suggestion about his character development as a surprise twist for somewhere in that season. Trying to avoid spoilers there...

I liked A Knights Tale... a man can change his stars! A very watchable movie with some classic lines, mostly from Tudyk (Wat) in fact:

Wat: "Uh, betray us, and I will fong you, until your insides are out, your outsides are in, your entrails will become your extrails I will w-rip... all the p... ung. Pain, lots of pain."

"William: I've waited my whole life for this moment.

Wat: You've waited your whole life for Sir Ector to shite himself to death? "

*pretends not to guess what the all talk about Alan means...*

I'm going to see Serenity today. WEEEEEEEEEEE! :D:D

I've got my very shiny US DVD that I got as a gift, my DVD-player all set up to play region 1 and now I only have to take them to my parents house and hook my player to dad's video projector (our telly is so small it laughable).

*exited squealing*

Well, better later than never. Movie got out on DVD, rented it, and it was actually not bad, apart from the average 'we need to get the truth to people' plot losing out to the dialogues and characters, but then we made a mistake of buying the DVD set of the series itself. *Now* I'm hooked. :blush:

dangerous stuff... my brother-in-law loaned me the series dvd set for this past Thanksgiving Vacation - I finishe it in pretty much straight watching sessions over several days, but refused to send them back until mid-summer because I wanted to see all of them again. Best stuff since ST-TOS (with gentle nods to Farscape and SG1).

It's always nice to hear that the word is spreading. :blush:

I still can get over the fact that they cancelled the show. And I'm green with envy to all those Galactica and Stargate fans that can enjoy season after season of their series, both of which I find either boring or phony.

I was unfortunet to watch Serenity in theaters BEFORE I saw the Firefly show. I was sooo confussed on some stuff. But loved the movie. I now have seen the Firefly show and planning on watching Serenity again today with my mom. River rocks in the movie!

oh while I am here I have to put her two best lines from the show up! Both from the same show I believe.

River: Jayne...that's a girls name.

River(to Jayne): By the way. I can kill you with my brain. (And the way she says it you believe her!)

I still can get over the fact that they cancelled the show.

I know. It still makes me want to weep. I just rewatched the series recently and it just made me want more. There was so much waiting to develop as the series progressed. I'm going to console myself by singing the theme song in my head now. :)

Yep, the movie before series was confusing, and there is a bunch of things that just gets skipped over and has to be known before watching the show. Inara, who's Inara? Why she is even needed? I found River incredibly irritating in the movie, but quite a cool character in the series. I think it's a pity that they actually made a movie out of season 2, instead of season 2. Not that they had a choice or anything....

I don't know, I think the movie stood on its own quite well. Believe it or not, it makes a movie better to kn==not know the history of every character - even if the history is availiable. It keeps the characters from being foils.

Think of that old classic, Key Largo - you never find out why Bogart's character knew the hotel keeper and his daughter, it is never explained. You don't need to know why, you just need to know the connection is there, and he'll fight for them if it comes to it.

Archived