Duplicating files with COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP

NiGHTMARE

I'm trying to create three versions of original files in the override, one set with the normal file name, one set with NM appended to the beginning, and another with NM appended to the end. Obviously I could just do COPY_EXISTING for each of the files I want (all bastard swords), but I'm hoping there's a more efficient, other-mod-compatible method.

I've come up with the following (based on G3 Tweaks code), but I'm unable to test it right now, so I'd appreciate input from a WeiDu guru :). Will it work, and/or is there a more efficient method?

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.itm$~ ~override~ //
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) THEN BEGIN // protects against invalid files
   READ_ASCII 0x22 "anim" (2)
   READ_BYTE  0x31 "prof"
   PATCH_IF ("%prof%" = 89 AND (("%anim%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "s1" = 0))) BEGIN // If item is a bastard sword
    COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~NM%SOURE_FILE%/OVERRIDE~
    COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~%SOURE_FILE%NM/OVERRIDE~
    // Insert more code here
   END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

This is the completed code, barring any errors. Again it hasn't been tested yet, I need to do a re-install first :).

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.itm$~ ~override~ //
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) THEN BEGIN // protects against invalid files
   READ_ASCII 0x22 "anim" (2)
   READ_BYTE  0x31 "prof"
   PATCH_IF ("%prof%" = 89 AND (("%anim%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "s1" = 0))) BEGIN // If item is a bastard sword
     INNER_ACTION BEGIN
       COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~NM%SOURE_FILE%/OVERRIDE~ // zero lore one-handed clones
       COPY_EXISTING ~%SOURCE_FILE%~ ~%SOURE_FILE%NM/OVERRIDE~ // zero lore two-handed clones
         READ_LONG   0x64 "abil_off"
         READ_SHORT  0x68 "abil_num"
         WRITE_SHORT 0x68 ("%abil_num%" + 1)
         READ_LONG   0x6a "fx_off"
         WRITE_LONG  0x6a ("%fx_off%" + 0x38)
         READ_SHORT  0x70 "fx_num"
         READ_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + (("%abil_num%" - 1) * 0x38)) "last_fx_num"
         READ_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + (("%abil_num%" - 1) * 0x38)) "last_fx_idx"
         SET "new_fx" = ("%last_fx_idx%" + "%last_fx_num%")
         PATCH_IF (~%DEST_RES%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~%SOURCE_RES%~ != 0) BEGIN // if not the "dummy" version
           WRITE_SHORT 0x42 0 // zero lore for new copies
         END
         PATCH_IF (~%DEST_RES%~ STRING_MATCHES_REGEXP ~[iI][kK]......~ = 0) BEGIN // if two-handed version
           READ_BYTE   0x18 "flags"
           WRITE_BYTE  0x18 ("%flags%" BOR 0b00000010) // add two-handed flag
           WRITE_ASCII 0x22 ~S2~ // paperdoll animation
           FOR (loops = 0; loops < abil_num; loops = loops + 1) BEGIN
             READ_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) "type"
             PATCH_IF ("%type%" = 1) BEGIN
               WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x12 + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) 4 // Speed factor
               WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x16 + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) 6 // Dice size
               WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x18 + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) 2 // # Dice
               WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x2c + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) 60 // overhand attacks
               WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x2e + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) 40 // slashing attacks
               WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x30 + ("%loops%" * 0x38)) 0  // thrusting attacks
             END
           END
         END ELSE BEGIN // if one-handed version
           WRITE_BYTE  0x26 9 // Required strength
         END
         INSERT_BYTES          ("%fx_off%" +        ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) 0x30 // new effect
         WRITE_SHORT           ("%fx_off%" +        ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) 122  // create inventory item
         WRITE_BYTE            ("%fx_off%" + 0x02 + ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) 1    // target: self
         WRITE_BYTE            ("%fx_off%" + 0x0c + ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) 1    // instant/permanent till death
         WRITE_BYTE            ("%fx_off%" + 0x12 + ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) 100  // probability
         PATCH_IF (~%DEST_RES%~ STRING_MATCHES_REGEXP ~[nN][mM]......~ = 0) BEGIN // if two-handed version
           WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII ("%fx_off%" + 0x14 + ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) ~%SOURCE_RES%NM~
           WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII ("%fx_off%" + 0x14 + ("%new_fx%" * 0x30)) ~NM%SOURCE_RES%~
         END
         INSERT_BYTES  ("%fx_off%"       ) 0x38         // new ability
         WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%"       ) 3            // magical
         WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x01) 1            // ID to use
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x02) 3            // in item slots
         PATCH_IF (~%DEST_RES%~ STRING_MATCHES_REGEXP ~[nN][mM]......~ = 0) BEGIN  // if two-handed version
           WRITE_ASCII ("%fx_off%" + 0x04) ~ISW1H01~   
           WRITE_ASCII ("%fx_off%" + 0x04) ~ISW2H01~
         END
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x0c) 5            // target: caster
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x0e) 1            // range: 1
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x1e) 1            // num effects: 1
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x20) ("%new_fx%") // fx index
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x22) 1            // num charges: 1
         WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x24) 1            // vanishes when drained
         WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" + 0x2a) 1            // projectile: none
     END
   END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

If you can't tell, this is supposed to make bastard swords equippable in either one or two hands, and adjust their stats (based on pnp sources) accordingly. Most of the code was adapted from the "Two-Handed Katanas" component of G3 Tweaks, but I figured there was a slightly better way of doing it :D. I then borrowed a bit of code from "Weapon Animation Tweaks", and tried to fit it all together :D.

One of the reasons why we never generalized the 2H weapon components is because file names of greater than 6 characters breaks the sw1h01, iksw1h01, sw1h01ik scheme. Cutting off letters quickly runs into the potential problem of items with a similar name.

One possible workaround I had considered was using either a static count, i.e. just start naming the new swords cd000001.itm, cd000002.itm, and just treat them as the come. This runs into problems if the mod order is changed, as cd000001 may no longer be the same item if a mod is added/removed in the middle of a game. Another possible solution would be a straight character substitution, i.e. change every "a" for an "!" or somesuch. Using a character not used by the engine reduces the odds of duplication, but there's not enough to ensure uniqueness. Tutu's convention of prefacing item names with a character may also work, if done correctly.

In the auto-replicating EFFs code I developed for RtW, I prefaced all EFF file name I had to substitute with __, cutting off starting characters to stay in the 8 char count (to do this, SPRINT newfilename ~__%SOURCE_REF%~ and then patch the newfilename in a INNER_PATCH, APPEND the old and new file name in an apposite file containing the list, and finally load the list, read it and make the copies.

Example:

12345678 -> __345678

1234567 -> __234567

123456 -> __123456

For the real release of RtW (eh eh :) ) I'll also add code to make sure there are no duplicates (so 123456 and 1123456, which would have the same __123456 new file name, one would become ___23456.

If you want, I can send you prepared code for all of this - just PM me (preferably on SHS, but I'm not picky :D )

Archived