When in Rome...

Andyr

I'm going to be in Rome and Frascati near the end of the month for a few days for a conference for my PhD.

I've never been to Italy before (and my Italian extends no further than the pages of my phrase book). I get some free time in the evenings (and the Sunday afternoon I arrive), so I was wondering if anyone who lives in/has visited the area had any recommendations of stuff that is really worth seeing or doing? And, conversely, anything to avoid... :p

Unless you're interested in cultural stuff (ancient Roman ruins, museums, the Vatican, etc.), there isn't that much interesting stuff in Rome - it's mostly a school trip and pilgrims city (or at least so I remember from last year).

PS: if you can't speak Italian, I suggest you to bring a lot of food and camping equipment from the UK - 95% of italian people doesn't speak English enough to be able to take a food ordination (or even indicate you where to find a restaurant, unless one is visible on the square you're in). [as opposed to most european countries, where people can speak English but refuse to out of national pride].

Also, I live a bit too far away to come and guide you through Italian wonders :p

Heh, thanks for the notes. :p I think we get lunch provided by the conference so it'd just be sorting dinner, which we can probably do at our hotel if we can't find anywhere else.

One of us does speak Italian, though my foreign languages are limited to French and German. Aside from 'Io mi chiamo Andy', or something. :p

Might try to see some of the ruins, I guess.

Heh, thanks for the notes. ;) I think we get lunch provided by the conference so it'd just be sorting dinner, which we can probably do at our hotel if we can't find anywhere else.

One of us does speak Italian, though my foreign languages are limited to French and German. Aside from 'Io mi chiamo Andy', or something. :D

Might try to see some of the ruins, I guess.

Roman dialect is different from the Italian he could have studied at school (which is Florence dialect), but it's close enough... if you are lucky :D

PS: in the more tourist-like towns (like Pisa, where I live 10 month out of 12, or Rome), hotels don't usually serve lunch, they re-direct you to affiliate Restaurants (although you have paid more than you would have in a similar hotel in a less tourist-like place where you had both lunch and dinner, but Italy is such a crap place, you'll have to get used to how it runs :p ).

PPS: speaking about Italy=crap place, try not to get ill or something, the public health care sucks (and try not to get robbed/kidnapped or be the receiving part of a crime, Italian laws protect the criminal and punish the victim) :p

PPPS: that sentence you quoted is correct Italian :p

@[as opposed to most european countries, where people can speak English but refuse to out of national pride].

sooo not true. :p

I've been 5 days to Paris, and I hadn't found a restaurant/fast food/bar/... who accepted orders in English: I lost ~2 kilos since I wasn't able of buying anything to eat, having forgotten all French I studied at school. (of course, as soon as I got back home I grew them on again - but that's another story :p ).

And, for the French people, France=Europe=World (otherwise, they'd stop calling computers 'ordinateurs' while the rest of the civilized world calls them 'computers' without translating the word in their language).

I've been 5 days to Paris, and I hadn't found a restaurant/fast food/bar/... who accepted orders in English: I lost ~2 kilos since I wasn't able of buying anything to eat, having forgotten all French I studied at school.

Heh, I'd been to Austria knowing not a word in German, and had no problems whatsoever finding provender even on my own (and with Bey and Jester it was even easier :p ) ... and in Romania without knowing a word in Romanian my problem was more of the nature of having too much food thanks to the Romanians' astonishing friendliness and hospitality...

Damn, I can't wait till I have an opportunity to go to Germany, Italy, France, Spain... (stops herself). I *adore* traveling and I always miss Europe!

I've been 5 days to Paris, and I hadn't found a restaurant/fast food/bar/... who accepted orders in English: I lost ~2 kilos since I wasn't able of buying anything to eat, having forgotten all French I studied at school.

Heh, I'd been to Austria knowing not a word in German, and had no problems whatsoever finding provender even on my own (and with Bey and Jester it was even easier :p ) ... and in Romania without knowing a word in Romanian my problem was more of the nature of having too much food thanks to the Romanians' astonishing friendliness and hospitality...

Damn, I can't wait till I have an opportunity to go to Germany, Italy, France, Spain... (stops herself). I *adore* traveling and I always miss Europe!

Well, this (along with Jester's report) would confirm my theory that French people are teh sucky ones :p .

My mom spent 2 weeks in Paris knowing approximately three words in French, living on Sorbonna's campus and came back wide-eyed and in love with Paris (not to mention bags-full of gifts, but that's my mom, she will shop anywhere and anytime, I think). As for food I think she had discovered some artform of buying deli meat cuts at the markets or something of the kind... don't remeber now, it was good 10 years ago.

Guest Guest_Littiz_*
PS: if you can't speak Italian, I suggest you to bring a lot of food and camping equipment from the UK - 95% of italian people doesn't speak English enough to be able to take a food ordination (or even indicate you where to find a restaurant, unless one is visible on the square you're in). [as opposed to most european countries, where people can speak English but refuse to out of national pride].

Come on, don't be so harsh! It's even true that they will likely find a creative way to communicate what's needed :D

Roman dialect is different from the Italian he could have studied at school (which is Florence dialect), but it's close enough... if you are lucky

It's true that we Florentines originated the standard italian :p , but nowadays it is said (and I think it's true, honestly) that the most correct italian is, in average, spoken in Milan.

As for Roman, well... I don't think I could last a hour there without killing someone for speaking that way!!! :p

(and try not to get robbed/kidnapped or be the receiving part of a crime, Italian laws protect the criminal and punish the victim)

That's sadly true, but hopefully tourists will get a better treatment :D

And, for the French people, France=Europe=World (otherwise, they'd stop calling computers 'ordinateurs' while the rest of the civilized world calls them 'computers' without translating the word in their language).

LOL, I missed that one! :D

Oh, my, they'll never learn...

I guess they have their own version of Windows too, where even the logo is translated? ;)

Well, a little suggestion from me too. Try and find some of the most typical little townies, if you find the time.

Apart from the usual monuments, italian cities are best avoided, imho.

While in the countryside or in the hills, if you are a bit lucky, you can find one of those magic places that will remain in your heart forever :p

Archived