"To hit" in IWD2

Borsook

3rd Edition did away with "to hit AC 0", and simply uses a creature's Armor Class to determine whether an attack is successful. A 20-sided dice is rolled, the attacking character's attack bonus is added, and if the result equals or exceeds the target's AC, the attack succeds. A second dice, the number of sides matching the type of weapon used, is then thrown to determine how much damage is done.

3rd Edition uses a creature's Armor Class to determine whether an attack is successful.

If you look into IWD2 manual pages 137,8 or any 3E manual you'll find there "Base Attack bonus" which is added to the D20 "to hit" roll. Now, this bonus is based on character level in a given class (same like Thac0), the only problem being it's not saved in cre. So either it is saved somewhere or the game uses character level to determine it, which would mean that all the creatures have levels in some class.

All IWD2 creatures *do* have levels in some class :p.  For most of them it's fighter.

So the game calculates "to hit" comparing level with a 2da? Hmm, this complicates life a bit... Ok do you have an idea what would happen upon changing (adding levels) to a cre? I mean would it change anything exept the "to hit"? Afer all HP and Saves are stored in cre in separate offsets, I do hope that IWD2 does not modify them like ToEE on the fly?

PS. Unfair! You've modified your first reply!!!! Cheater! :p

So the game calculates "to hit" comparing level with a 2da? Hmm, this complicates life a bit... Ok do you have an idea what would happen upon changing (adding levels) to a cre? I mean would it change anything exept the "to hit"? Afer all HP and Saves are stored in cre in separate offsets, I do hope that IWD2 does not modify them like ToEE on the fly?

It would also affect the amount of experience that you get for killing the NPC.

It would also affect the amount of experience that you get for killing the NPC.

Ok, I was asking because MixMod 5 has the feature to boost not only enemies HP but also AC, Thac0, save throws, but due to the situation in IWD2 I'll simply exlude bonuses to "to hit" from this part of code.

Archived