Found in Translation

Domi

Wow, there are some really funny translations in this thread. :)

One of my personal favourites is Coran's line "Luck be a lady". It was translated to "Thank goodness I'm a woman". That line left me puzzled for years.

Oh, gods be good! That's a masterpiece of translation!

Thanks a bunch for posting today, Evi, it allowed me to read this totally hilarious post! ;)

One of my faves was the "Lay on Hands" spell translation fro Domi's original post: Lay hands on person?... :)

Note to Kulyok: I'll try and do something decent! :D;)

We have some goodies here in Spain too. The original, Vanilla version of BG2 has some funny things right from the start of the game, so when you find Khalid in Irenicus dungeon and Jaheira starts talking she says:

-Where are the mirrors, the switches to pull ...

In Spanish, they translated it as if she had said:

-WE ARE the mirrors, the swithches to pull ...

It's very unfitting to listen a widow comparing herself to a mirror or a switch, no? and listening the spanish voice actress telling that is a little scary (you think that Jaheira has gone mad)

But if that wasn't enough to make Jaheira more weird they made another mistake. After that previous scene ends, Imoen tries to calm Jaheira down and says:

-Jaheira I want to tell you how sorry I am about Khalid, I know this is hard.

And Jaheira says:

-No, you do not know ...

In Spanish Jaheira says:

-No, I do not know you (!!!)

They have been together since the Friendly Arm's Inn and she says she doesn't know Imoen!!! but at least in Spanish Jaheira's voice actress tells it correctly (which makes the full thing weirder, listening one thing and reading another)

And there are lots of these goodies in the spanish version of the game, not to mention a very irritating and frustrating bug with Jaheira's voice clips. For me it's clear, in Spain Jaheira is not welcome at all, except for me, I love her.

Those things made me to buy an english version of the game and only play it with english mods. I cannot imagine playing it in another language, and to be honest, I don't want to play it in spanish anymore, nor even playing the spanish translations of foreign mods (which translations, in some cases sucks).

Archived