[Fixed, tentatively] Bug Report, v1

JPS

OK, based on the feedback and the bigg's help, I think ADD_KIT may not be closing files properly after kit addition, as the three components that crash--Druid Remix, Branwen, and Viconia--all open/edit 2da files that the ADD_KIT command touches.

Not really much we can do as a workaround we can do. Don't install these three components after installing kits--quit and re-open the setup program to force WeiDU to close the kit-related files, and then try installing these three. If anyone crashes doing that, then I'll have to come up with a new hypothesis as to what's going wrong. :)

Thanks for the help everyone, it's really appreciated. And thanks for your patience while we get this sorted out.

For the sake of completeness: I finally got around to trying v2, and it installed flawlessly. Just in case somebody was loosing sleep over it but was too polite to mention it, or something like that.

Finally had a chance to have a look at this.

ADD_KIT does hang on to files, although I've never managed to crash WeiDU because of it. The reason I lumped all the kits together in one component in the NPC Kitpack was because I got "unlinking" errors (or some such) regarding kit.ids, the kit would remain listed kit.ids but be gone everywhere else, sometimes other 2da files were the problem (I am the only person I know of that's ever had this problem--which is annoying). So, I think patching alignmnt.2da is the problem in Druid Remix and either the COUNT_2DA_ROWS or PATCH_IF on kitlist.2da is the problem in giving kits to Branwen and Viconia. I scan kit.ids a lot in the current build of the NPC Kitpack and that is not crashing. I'm not sure if you are doing anything else while looking for the kitnumber, but here is what I use:

COPY_EXISTING ~kit.ids~ ~override~
 READ_2DA_ENTRY 1 1 1 "kitname"
 FOR (row = 1; "%kitname%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "IK_ADVENTURER" != 0; row = row + 1) BEGIN
   READ_2DA_ENTRY row 0 1 "kitnumber"
 END
 INNER_ACTION BEGIN
   COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.+\.cre$~ ~override~
     PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE >= 0x324) BEGIN
       READ_ASCII DEATHVAR "dv"
       PATCH_IF ("%dv%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "imoen" = 0 OR "%dv%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "imoen2" = 0) BEGIN
         WRITE_SHORT 0x244 0x0000
         WRITE_SHORT 0x246 kitnumber
       END
     END
   BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
 END

Perhaps you could try that instead, if you can ever reproduce the crash reliably. NB: The INNER_ACTION isn't necessary, I'm just being flash.

I'll have a think about what to do with alignmnt.2da, possibly try patching it within a FOR loop, or INNER_ACTION, or something. These things are useful for fooling WeiDU into doing things it doesn't want to do straight off the bat.

However, I do manage to patch luabbv.2da, 25stweap.2da and weapprof.2da after ADD_KIT without any crashing. The patching is done in the same component as the ADD_KIT--I don't see that making a different, but... that's really the only difference.

That's all I have for now, hope it is helpful in someway.

So... for various reasons I reinstalled the game and all mods I was using again, and this time I got another error, which, as far as I can understand*, has the added bonus of making even less sense:

Install Component [install Feralan Ranger Kit]

[Y]es or [N]o or [Q]uit? y

Installing [install Feralan Ranger Kit]

Copying and patching 2069 files ...

Copying and patching 1 file ...

Copying 5 files ...

Adding A#FERALAN Kit ...

/Volumes/Miscellanea/BGII - SoA/Setup-Divine_Remix.command: line 3:  618 Bus error              ./Setup-Divine_Remix

logout

[Process completed]

I did nothing out of the ordinary before the error, and nothing at all after it, obviously, so the program shouldn't even have gotten to the parts that might or might not have caused the problems last time, if I'm not completely mistaken**.

It worked perfectly last time, as I already said, on the same setup, with the same mods installed before it.

*which admittedly isn't very far. But my cursory reading suggests that a bus error is almost but not quite the same thing as a segmentation fault, which is why I'm posting this in the same thread. I basically have no idea what I'm talking about, though.

**see above.

Archived