Keldorn romance mod?

Guest Lezz

Okay, I know for sure I'm going to get two responces. "Eeew", and "Impossible, he's married."

This idea just popped into my head, and I think it would make a really interesting side plot. First of all, yeah, he's married, but life gets lonely on the open road. If he had an affair, it could end in a climactic clash between Maria and the female PC. I'm hesitant as to whether Keldorn would commit such an act; he is a pious man after all. Perhaps, in a single lapse of judgement, he would commit such a sin once, and then go home to his wife to confess; then would come the interesting conflict between Keldorn, his family, and the PC.

I like romance mods, but I often find them a bit cookie-cutter, you know? A series of chats in which they get to know each other's pasts, and then they sleep together. The end. This way could have a built in quest - the confrontation. Yeah, helping a man cheat on his wife sounds evil, but there's lots of things the game lets you do that are evil.

Alternately, if it sounds too out-of-character, perhaps the "romance" could be nothing more than a close friendship that develops between the two, and his wife gets suspicious and tries to stop keldorn from staying with the group. Then we get the fun of the character development, the big climax at the end, just no sex.

Yeah, I know the age difference seems like a big problem, but I've heard of the same or even bigger age gaps in the real world. Also, if you play with the numbers a little, it doesnt seem that bad. I'm thinking Keldorn is maybe mid-fifties, maybe less than that if the stress of the road just made him age badly. The PC starts out around 21 in BG1, it takes a year or two before she confronts Sarevok, and then the game never specifies exactly how long it is between the end of BG1 and the beginning of BG2. It could be five or six years. With a little stretch of the imagination, the PC could be twenty-seven - almost thirty. The age difference wouldnt be so bad then.

What do you think? Plausable? Terrible? Possible?

The idea of a Keldorn romance has been mentioned before and there are several ways you could go about it. I think there is a general feeling that Keldorn is unlikely to betray his wife before he discovers her own infidelity and probably only if he chooses to cast her to the mercy of the law (that's my view too, so I might be falsely ascribing that "general feeling" :) ). A seduction by a less-than-scrupulous PC could be possible too, but I think some magic might be required to get that moving.

Alternately, if it sounds too out-of-character, perhaps the "romance" could be nothing more than a close friendship that develops between the two, and his wife gets suspicious and tries to stop keldorn from staying with the group. Then we get the fun of the character development, the big climax at the end, just no sex.

Actually, this sounds like quite a good idea to me. If Keldorn spends time with a high Charisma female PC without direct orders to do so (he's hanging around because of the PC's help with the Unseeing Eye after all) then Maria might get to hear about it and start jumping to conclusions. Then when you return to Keldorn's home, the fight between them is made that much more complex, Maria perhaps claiming that Kedorn was the adulterer first (hmmm, outlaws, anyone?). You could always add the romance option in as well, maybe the PC is attracted to Keldorn and is quite happy to let Maria go the the headsman, maybe it's totally innocent. Whether or not Keldorn actually has any feelings for the PC doesn't have to enter into things at all.

This one is probably second only to "let's have a Haer'Dalis romance" in the number of times it has been proposed, started, and never completed. So yes, although plenty of people think it's a fine idea, nobody thinks it's a fine enough idea to have finished it.

Cofidential sources reported, that one such person (who thought it's a fine idea) had had enough stamina to actually advance the 'writing it' part to some very near completion state and she still works diligently on it. :) So diligently, that I think she will actually finish it.

Archived