Random - but wrong - NPC interjections

Guest Etrigone

Guest Etrigone

I've looked through the forum, and can't find any evidence that anyone else has run into this

problem. I have Tutu installed, the latest (v13) fixpack, and then I install the BG1NPC project.

When I click on an npc in my group, they start spouting odd quotes - and never appropriate for

their character. Imoen speaks Minsc's lines, Jaheira speaks Tiax's, etc.

Any idea? There isn't anything there beyond what I've mentioned. With all the cool content of this mod,

I'd hate to miss out.

It also happens when you had changed your order and number of the installed mods, and then loaded a saved game.

Try a new game, and if characters say proper things in it, a slightly annoying but tried remedy for your saved game is to kill your offending NPC, kick him/her out of the party. Summon it anew via CLUA console, rejoin the party. Set SPRITEISDEAD variable to 0. Level him or her up via CLUA to where s/he'd been before.

Or simply pick up NPCs that you had not talked to before your saved game.

>It is possible that you installed Baldurdash (or official patch, or another

>dlg-overriding mod) on top of BG1 NPC. You should uninstall and try again.

The precise (sorry for not being so) procedure was:

Fresh install of BG2 - SoA (no directories present; not even the BGII - SoA dir).

Install of TOB

TOB patch (26498)

Install of Tutu_v4

Install of Tutufix_v13

Install of BG1NPC-v10

And that's when I start seeing all sort of amusing, if entirely incorrect,

dialog spouts. Not only on character selection, but also at random times.

Jaheira keeps talking about how Cyric is as sane as Tiax...

I'm lucky in that I have two systems to use for games; this system, among

other things non-BG related, is Tutu only. I'd like to eventually install

some tutu tweaks stuff, and I can function as is with this, but I'd like to

make it work. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong (and since I'm

also a developer, albeit in a different area, I keep thinking "well damn,

what mistakes am I making this time?" :))

I'll do as commented on in the url.

To the other response:

>It also happens when you had changed your order and number of the installed

>mods, and then loaded a saved game.

Hmm, this could very well be the source of the problem. The system in

question had a suspect install, but seemed initially to be ok. However,

I found an odd crash or two - one with the Flaming Fist merc you find on

your way down to Nashkel, and then with Berrun Ghastkill. What would happen

is the NPC would walk up to me to initiate dialong & the game would crash.

I kept the saved games, did a complete clean re-install, and that's when I

saw the above.

>Try a new game, and if characters say proper things in it, a slightly

>annoying but tried remedy for your saved game is to kill your offending

>NPC, kick him/her out of the party. Summon it anew via CLUA console,

>rejoin the party. Set SPRITEISDEAD variable to 0. Level him or her up

>via CLUA to where s/he'd been before.

I'll give this a shot. I'm not too far into the game - just arrived in

Nashkel. It is actually all the NPC party members, so I'd have to try

it with all of them.

Thanks all.

Guest Etrigone

>

>I'll do as commented on in the url.

It didn't seem to help... well, it kinda did, but I'm not sure if I have the information I need.

All I'm installing is tutufix-v13 followed by bg1npc to trigger this bug. I was under the impression

that tutufix was pretty much required right after the basic tutu-v4 install. Do you know if this is

not the case? Perhaps I should install it last? And, at this point, I wonder if I should try reinstalling

tutufix, in the hopes it will clear stuff up.

>>Try a new game, and if characters say proper things in it, a slightly

>>annoying but tried remedy for your saved game is to kill your offending

>>NPC, kick him/her out of the party. Summon it anew via CLUA console,

>>rejoin the party. Set SPRITEISDEAD variable to 0. Level him or her up

>>via CLUA to where s/he'd been before.

>I'll give this a shot. I'm not too far into the game - just arrived in

>Nashkel. It is actually all the NPC party members, so I'd have to try

>it with all of them.

I tried this, to curious effect. When I spoke with Ghastkill, he didn't know Jaheira

and Khalid were there. Since I'd like not to miss out on the interesting content, I'd

prefer not to take this route - it would seem that this path would make the game

not recognize that NPC n is in the group. Talking with the NPC, and other BG1NPC

stuff, seems to work.

I also tried a new game, cheated myself over to see an npc (Minsc, in this case), and

they still had the odd spouted quote even before he joined up. Very odd. I'd

assume this means a tlk file problem?

Thanks again.

Did you do this:

Set SPRITEISDEAD variable to 0.

SPRITEISDEAD is a variable that tells you if creature is dead or not in the game. If you don't reser it to 0, the Char is treated as a dead one, and therefore you don't get any dialogue that is checking for the character !Dead (that's all of the interjections).

So for Khalid it will be:

SPRITE_IS_DEADKHALID

Once you killed him it is set to 1. You need to reset it to 0 to 'fool' the game:

SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADKHALID","GLOBAL",0)

I don't remeber off hand how SPRITEISDEAD is divided up by the underscores, but I think this one is correct. You might just double check that it is set to 1 after Char died, and get the right spelling from there :)

Guest Etrigone

Yeah, I did that. I also tried just deleting the variables, using Shadowkeeper both times. Same result both times, sadly. Now, I only know for sure that it seems problematic with Jaheira (and probably Khalid), as I couldn't chat with her afterwards & Ghastkill, as mentioned, didn't recognize them.

I tried a number of what looked like either Khalid or Jaheira in the creatures listing. I might have gotten the wrong one, I suppose - I tried a number of the custom entries that looked appropriate.

In a way, I'm not too worried, since this is just the kludge, and all I'm really losing out on is the sounds

they make when I select them (plus comments in the forest, hills, etc). I'm rather curious on why this happened when the install scheme looks legit - that's the real quandry.

Did you do this:

Set SPRITEISDEAD variable to 0.

SPRITEISDEAD is a variable that tells you if creature is dead or not in the game. If you don't reser it to 0, the Char is treated as a dead one, and therefore you don't get any dialogue that is checking for the character !Dead (that's all of the interjections).

So for Khalid it will be:

SPRITE_IS_DEADKHALID

Once you killed him it is set to 1. You need to reset it to 0 to 'fool' the game:

SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADKHALID","GLOBAL",0)

I don't remeber off hand how SPRITEISDEAD is divided up by the underscores, but I think this one is correct. You might just double check that it is set to 1 after Char died, and get the right spelling from there :)

It's something peculiar to TUTU, as far as I recall.

Sim explained it once in more details, I am quoting it here:

[...]using a saved game produced under a different order/configuration of install (results in) strings [...] mix up (in Dialogue.TLK) in TUTU

NPC sounds can potentially get mixed up, yes, because they're part of a CRE file which is stored in the savegame. Under normal conditions, this shouldn't actually happen because WeiDU won't change strings it's already added, but Tutu is a slightly different case because strrefs are liable to change completely on re-install, hence the issue you mention. DLGs should basically never display wrong strings, except when the TLK's locked or you restore backups manually or something.

However, when I get this error, resummon and reset of variables or starting a new game always fixes it.

Archived