STARTARE question

Iciclia

Hey,

Since I've been working on my mod I ran into this little problem where I can't directly specify where the players will end up upon loading the game. I read a post somewhere that talked about editing this 2da file "STARTARE" and tried to edit it but either two things would happen: it would crash when loading the area I specified in the 2da file (at the loading screen), or it would just completely ignore it and run the default "AR0602" Irenicus' Dungeon. I dropped the 2da file into the override hoping this wouldn't happen, but with my luck, its probably hard coded into BG2. Am I wrong?

I would really like to force the player to go directly to my area upon loading. Does anyone know how to go about this?

My thanks

-Icilia

You also have to edit MASTAREA and STARTPOS.

I took your advice and edited both of these and still get a crash when it tries to load the area. Is there perhaps something else needing editing besides these 3 files?

Also do I change the "BADVAR" in the STARTARE 2da file to something else?

Thanks for your assistance

-Icicilia

This sounds like it might be an issue with the area itself. Did you try consoling to the area to verify it works before this?

Yes and you are right, it was indeed the problem. When I removed the offending area from the override folder and swapped it out with just a basic terrain, it worked fine.

Though unfortunately I have run into yet another problem dealing with areas, specifically world maps. I have been trying to link my basic area to other areas to test out but I don't even get the little icon of the spinning wheel when I move the mouse to the edge of the area. I've linked all areas to mine and vice versa. Set my area to have an entrance called "Exit001" kind of similar to Black isles nameing conventions. Also went into other areas such as D'Arnise Keep and Trademeet and couldn't get to my area from there. Checking IE now. Is there a flag or something that needs to be enabled?

Thanks again

The world map is stored in save games, so if you want to see changes you've made to it you'll need to test from a new game.

Ugh, it had to be something obvious that I was overlooking. I'm such an idiot.

I had always thought the Worldmap was part of the game itself. I guess you learn something every day.

Before I shut up for good and stop posting, I thought I would ask one more question that has got me frustrated for awhile now. Its related to the my first post.

Is there a way to completely override the starting area AR0620 when the game begins? I used what knowledge I had given to me by you guys and edited all 3 files: MASTAREA, STARTPOS, STARTARE 2das. I made sure all 3 were in my override folder and started the game. For some reason it went straight to the default area even though I had these 3 files telling it not to.

I was looking around the IE and other modding tools and came across one file that might be promising called "BALDUR.gam" It said something about there being a starting area and AR0602 was in the input field. Is this a good idea to edit this file?

I was looking around the IE and other modding tools and came across one file that might be promising called "BALDUR.gam" It said something about there being a starting area and AR0602 was in the input field. Is this a good idea to edit this file?

I don't recall offhand, but checking the many in-dvelopment TC's I have laying around on my, yes, the baldur.gam file has been changed to reflect the new starting area.

Archived