Bioware announces new game

NiGHTMARE

Heh, I guess we had this conversation some time ago and I still could get myself to change my mind. I am not a graphics guy obviously as I even enjoyed Fallout. Perhaps having been raised on a C64 did help here.

What a value most of all is story and immersion and I always get the most satisfaction out of the isometric view as it gives you a sense of awareness of your surroundings. So, if real-time-rendered games can do that, fine. I will stick to the prerendered stuff until convinced otherwise..

I cannot exactly say Morrowind was a waste of good money; I suppose these six dollars did not go to waste. But still, for me it suffered from exactly the same defect: too close to the player. Fun to play once, but not comfortable in the long run. 3rd person, the shift of the camera - it was jarring rather than amusing. I still prefer good old view from above, good graphics and good detail.

Though, if we take non-RPG into account, I recall that Myst III had its advantages, but it was a beautiful and empty world. Safe. :)

What a value most of all is story and immersion and I always get the most satisfaction out of the isometric view as it gives you a sense of awareness of your surroundings. So, if real-time-rendered games can do that, fine. I will stick to the prerendered stuff until convinced otherwise..

Yes! Yes, that was what I wanted to say but could not find the words. That's another reason why I love BG series so. :)

Check out the game I've mentioned twice nice, Seal of Evil :).

Hhe, the screenshots take ages to load on my machine, so I have not seen many, but the placeables (fountain, statues) on the very first one look like... pleaceables. The in the woods on the second screeny is better :) The game itself does not interest me, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that Dragon Age at least would be better looking.

And yep, Lord Ernie, NWN and KOTOR for me are new games, because I just never have time, it seems. But, hopefully, after BG1NPC is out I can take a few weeks of and for the sake of all gods finish at least IWD2, if not NWN or KOTOR.

Since we are on the subject of the different games, did anyone play Bard's Tale? I keep seeing it in the store, and I love bards, but I'd like to know more about it. Such as - does it allow one to play a female protagonist, or does it force you into some guy's shoes with a rigid story?

Since we are on the subject of the different games, did anyone play Bard's Tale? I keep seeing it in the store, and I love bards, but I'd like to know more about it. Such as - does it allow one to play a female protagonist, or does it force you into some guy's shoes with a rigid story?

The current version of Bard's Tale out on many systems (Console and PC both) has the player taking on the role of a male bard. There is a slight amount of freedom in the conversations the bard has, but overall there are no major consequences of said choices.

The only plus I really got from it is that it had the voice of Cary Elwes (I know I probably got the name wrong) who was the lead in The Princess Bride movie.

From what I hear Bard's Tale is mostly a parody on most RPG's, and laughs with typical RPG situations. It's supposedly quite funny, but not very good gameplaywise. 2 sorts of dialogue options (jerk/nice guy), no real character creation, etc. Funny and entertaining, but not very deep.

For example, I've heard one of the first quests is the typical 'rat killing' quest in the local inn. The bard goes to the basement, kills the rats, and stands there being very proud of himself. Then he turns around, and there's a gigantic rat looking at him...

As for Morrowind, I didn't give any comment past the graphics, did I? I'm definitely not a graphics man (I mean, I'm modding BG2, kind of obvious) but good graphics can definitely enhance gameplay. Also, the fact that a game's in 3D doesn't make it bad. What Morrowind lacked was not good graphics, as these were actually very good for the time, but an immersive storyline and interesting characters. Also, the lack of real dialogue options was a bummer.

I think the basic idea of fable was not all that bad, but the execution seemed to make it a very straightforward fedex- fight to the end with some facial changes for the character for being naughty.

While this being a nice effect it is totally useless and in the end spoils the whole point of forging your destiny. Why do the bad guys havedark, long beards and scars or something?

I think male or female should be the only choice you should be forced to make at the start of an ideal rpg, stats perhaps too.

@Seal of Evil:

Doesn't look too shabby. The setting is innovative and the inventory screen buttons look very promising. Thanks for pointing this one out.

I am not at all deterred by the fact that I HAVE TO PLAY AS A GIRL!!!!! :)

But also, in 2D you control the game. You sit in front of the computer, and look on your party from above. In 3D, it looks different. It is like the reality jumps at you. It is especially nasty with the "view from the eyes" - 1st person. In one of such games, I nearly freaked out when a monster jumped at me from over the corner. The connection player-player character is stronger, and I do not like it at the least.

But for a game in which the key concept is to assume the role of the character you play, this seems to be precisely the desired effect.

Fortunately, contrary to what Nightmare seems to be implying 2d games are still being done e.g. Knights of Honor, Sacred (yes i consider a game with 2d backgrounds/3d characters a 2d game) Some people will always prefer 2d graphics to 3d, like some people will prefer paintings to photographies. And btw IWD2 was not selling that bad...

But for a game in which the key concept is to assume the role of the character you play, this seems to be precisely the desired effect.

It would be, had I intended to play solo - but even then, I would like to have an isometric\semi-isometric view - or, at least, a good map mechanism - as an alternative.

However, I play in the party of six - and I have to see and control these characters. Neither 1st person, nor the 3rd person-different camera angles allows me to do it fully and to feel comfortable. IE engine, while outdated, suits me perfectly in this regard.

Archived