Bioware announces new game

NiGHTMARE

yes i consider a game with 2d backgrounds/3d characters a 2d game

Well, most people wouldn't, including myself :).

Well, that's basically what you have in IE games, only due to performance reasons the 3d characters which were originally modelled were converted to 2d sprites, but it works exactly the same why as the TOEE. BTW Could you say anything more about Seal of Evil ? Screens do look interesting...

@NiGHTMARE

I agree, consoles these days are just computers designed for gaming, and gaming only. Actually, the Xbox 360 is supposed to go past the games and even allow mp3 importing. Hell, the 360 controller is computer compatible because it has a USB port! So, yes, consoles are just like computers.

And even if you don't agree, there's always this line from the first link:

Fable and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic were also announced as Xbox-exclusive games, but were later released for the PC.

Edit: Sorry, quoted something completely different.

Edit 2: Damn grammar/spelling.

I am curious now about how they did the non-3D characters in 2D games :p

Sprites :p

They are 2d graphics with slight changes between each "frame" to simulate movement when played rapidly one after the other, like in old reel-to-reel movies. For the longest time good sprites surpassed 3d characters in realism due to the 3d characters being rendered in low detail such that you could tell they were made from polygons. With the advent of faster computers and video cards that are computers unto themselves, 3d is finally looking as good as or better than sprites in most modern games.

I'm one who will stare at a screen full of awesomely rendered 3D, but if the story is weak or I can't get into the game, it's all for naught. For that reason, some of my favorite games are from the older 2D stock; more time was spent on the story than on the rendering engine. :)

I'm currently enjoying IWD2. The 3E rules are growing on me and the engine isn't as unmoddable as some like to claim; it's just got lots of new features and abilities. The party is quiet, but there are times when I want the party quiet, and that's one reason I keep the IWD series around. Another reason is that I like the stories and the world setting. And with my new computer, I can finally play all the games with the settings cranked all the way up. It's a whole new experience. :)

Dragon Age looks interesting, and Age of Empires 3 is on my must-have list.

OK, I see, thank you., now I will know. The polygonality of the 3D characters was part of my problem. Another is the 'celluloid' look of the heads and the absolutely unnatural hair. Also, because the detail is better, all the characters looking the same (because there are not enough models) is more notable than with the sprites.

I am very sensitive to the graphics. Arcanum, which blew me away by the character creation complexity, lost its appeal the moment I saw the 'pawns' instead of characters.

Now, an interesting question in itself: Will Arcanum take import of the 'sprites' from BG1 to make the characters there look not horridly ugly?

Oh! I love IWD2 so far. I am hoping to finally finish my going onto its third year campaign!

OK, I see, thank you., now I will know. The polygonality of the 3D characters was part of my problem. Another is the 'celluloid' look of the heads and the absolutely unnatural hair. Also, because the detail is better, all the characters looking the same (because there are not enough models) is more notable than with the sprites.

I am very sensitive to the graphics. Arcanum, which blew me away by the character creation complexity, lost its appeal the moment I saw the 'pawns' instead of characters.

Now, an interesting question in itself: Will Arcanum take import of the 'sprites' from BG1 to make the characters there look not horridly ugly?

Oh! I love IWD2 so far. I am hoping to finally finish my going onto its third year campaign!

I don't have Arcanum, but it uses the same engine as ToEE, right? If so, adding sprites there is not that simple... nor would the bg2-style ones look much better, PST sprites, now that'll be great.

Heh, I'm laughing, again. I"ve just played through Arcanum for the 5th time or so, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While it may not have the greatest graphics out there, it's got one of the most complex character creation systems I've seen, a rather interesting world, premise, story and characters. Pity creating an über-character is far, far too easy. Still, it's a nice game. I especially like the epilogues, which depend on what choices you've made and what you've done during the quest you've taken.

If you hate 3d graphics, and you're going to be demanding about graphics in 2d games, there's a very select number out there.

Archived