Preview of Cleric Remix kits...

CamDawg

and thus the blood of Bane runs through is veins

Should probably read ... through his veins.

also:

but his priest are

should be ... his priests are...

also, for all of the spiritual weapon descriptions for all the different specialty kits:

caster had grand

should read ...caster has grand... for proper verb tense agreement.

Authlims of Xvim can be members of any race. They can only be of Lawful Evil, Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil alignment.

This says lawful evil twice. You'll have to change one of them.

SK

Personally, I'd just say they have to Lawful in alignment...

Sphere access:

- Major access to the spheres of All, Combat, Divination, Guardian, Healing (reverse only), Necromantic, Summoning and War..

This is the 1st sphere access for Xvim. Nothing major but there are two full stops at the end.

SK

BATTLEGUARD OF TEMPUS:

Advantages:

- Spiritual Weapon: Battleaxe - 'Battle Prowess' once per day

The Battle Prowess battleaxe is the spiritual weapon of Battleguards, and is wielded as if the caster had grand mastery in the weapon. The Battle Prowess is a regular weapon at levels 1-5, +1 at levels 6-10, +2 at 11-15, +3 at 16-20, +4 at 21-25, and +5 at levels 25 and above. The spiritual weapon lasts for one round per level of the caster, up to 20 rounds.

- Can place two proficiency stars in any melee weapon a cleric can use.

- Can go into a Berserker Rage once per day

- Can cast Remove Fear once per day, as first level cleric spell of the same name

- From level 3 can cast Strength once per day, as second level mage spell of the same name

- From level 5 can cast Strength of One once per day, as third level cleric spell of the same name

- From level 7 can cast Holy Power once per day, as fourth level cleric spell of the same name

- From level 9 can cast Chaos once per day, as fifth level mage spell of the same name

- From level 11 can cast Tenser's Transformation once per day, as sixth level mage spell of the same name

- From level 14 can cast Sphere of Chaos once per day, as seventh level mage spell of the same name

Disadvantages:

- Cannot place proficiency stars in ranged weapons

- Memorize one less spell per level

Sphere Access:

- Major access to the spheres of animal, combat, chaos, divination, elemental, necromantic, protection, and war

- Minor access to the spheres of all, guardian, healing, summoning, sun, wards and weather

- No access to the spheres of charm, creation, law, numbers, plant and thought

Umm....call me crazy, but I'd pegged a Priest of the War God to be rather, well, warlike. To have more in common with a Fighter. Instead, a Fighter/Cleric or Berserker->Cleric would clean this guy's clock any day. The only thing special this new kits grants is Tenser's Transformation, which (incidentally) blocks all spells and Special Abilities for the duration, and therefore is a mixed blessing at best.

I would suggest something like:

BATTLEGUARD OF TEMPUS:

Advantages:

• [li]May attain Mastery (+++) in any melee weapon (including those forbidden to other Clerics)
    [li]Immune to Fear and Hold
    [li]May fly into a Berserker Rage once per day per 6 levels
    [li]Gains an additional 1/2 attack per round at Levels 9 and 15

Disadvantages:

• [li]-2 penalties to INT, WIS, and CHA at Character Creation
    [li]Memorizes 1 fewer spell per level
    [li]May not place any proficieny points in ranged weapons

Sphere Access:

• [li]Major access to the spheres of animal, combat, chaos, divination, elemental, necromantic, protection, and war
    [li]Minor access to the spheres of all, guardian, healing, summoning, sun, wards and weather
    [li]No access to the spheres of charm, creation, law, numbers, plant and thought

Your setup for the Priest of Tempus is decent, don't get me wrong, but it seems limited by the cookie-cutter similarity of all the other kit designs--a special weapon that levels up with the caster, 6 or 7 Special Abilities, and some spell restriction. I feel that some kits (Tempus in particular) would be better served by dumping all the extra spells and granting bonuses to the base character instead.

The "extra spells" aren't extra at all - they replace one spell per level, acting as domain spells that clerics' deities always give them.

We're trying to remain relatively true to pnp with this mod, and in that Battleguards have access to the same weapons as a regular Cleric, plus one extra weapon type of their choice. Since there's no way to do that in BG2, their spiritual weapon being a axe simulates this.

Pnp Battleguards get +1 to hit and damage with one particular type of weapon, so us allowing 2 *'s is already more than they're supposed to get. They also have the same HP progression as fighters, but I'm not sure if this possible in BG2. They get an extra attack per round at levels 7 and 13, which could be done I guess.

I don't really want to change the format of the Battleguard away from the other kits - we could up the proficiencies to Mastery, I suppose, which would give them the combat 'edge' over a Berserker - Cleric.

Note though, the guy's still a priest, war deity or not. :D

And since you asked, SixOfSpades, you're crazy. :D

I don't really want to change the format of the Battleguard away from the other kits - we could up the proficiencies to Mastery, I suppose, which would give them the combat 'edge' over a Berserker - Cleric.

No, I don't think you need to do that. As you said, this is still a cleric we're talking about. However, I was thinking that they (the kits) could allow maybe 2 stars in hte weapon of the diety's choice. Not sure how hard this would be to implement.

icelus sez:

You cannot easily or efficiently give clerics of Tempus access to non-clerical melee weapons without giving *all* clerics the same access. It is a limit of the game engine.

Oh, Axe of Hrothgar, I weep for thee..... I was going to suggest a plausible workaround/alternative for this, I really was, but it seems to have fallen out of my head at the moment. (Cue Basil Fawlty: "Is this a part of your brain?")

NiGHTMARE sez:

The "extra spells" aren't extra at all - they replace one spell per level, acting as domain spells that clerics' deities always give them.

Ah, so the kits share their base BG2 counterparts' trait of having no disadvantages, as compared to the base Cleric....which is as it should be. I like to pretend that unkitted Clerics don't exist, as Clerics can't have power without a god. (This poses the question of Multiclassed Clerics, though. Are all Fighter/Clerics automatically Priests of Tempus?)

They also have the same HP progression as fighters, but I'm not sure if this possible in BG2. They get an extra attack per round at levels 7 and 13, which could be done I guess.

Why not something as simple as creating a couple of spells, cast on them at Character Creation and each level afterward? Spell A (cast in Jon's Dungeon) raises their max HP by 3D6+4 hitpoints, and Spell B (cast every level thereafter) raises it by 1. And I'm assuming you meant half an attack per round at Levels 7 & 13. :D

Andry sez:

Note though, the guy's still a priest, war deity or not.

Which was why I left off suggesting things like a Warrior THAC0 or Saving Throws.

BevH sez:

However, I was thinking that they (the kits) could allow maybe 2 stars in hte weapon of the diety's choice. Not sure how hard this would be to implement.

A very nice idea, but unfortunately useless if we're dealing with pointy weapons (like the Scimitar favored by Iyachtu Xvim).

Archived