Main Character Death in BG Series

Guest Guest

Hello,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to modify the game so that when the main character dies, that the game continues to go on. Since, in my opinion, the entire party should have to die instead of just that one character, for the game to say, "You have died!"

Anyways, are there any files that control this that would be able to be edited so that when the main character dies, the game does not end?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps.

I actually agree with Guest...

I think every component (I also create my whole party when I play) should be incapacitated instead of just CHARNAME which is of course the Main Character but should have the possibility of being resurrected, just like all the others...

I'd be nice to check out if it is really hardcoded (although I believe it is)... :p

Even if it could be done, it is not a good idea because the BG series is from CHARNAME's point of view, where the game would end if CHARNAME dies. As Grim said, there are many areas in which the plot would be ruined if CHARNAME remains dead, and there is no guarantee that a player will resurrect the main character.

-Galactygon

On the other hand, it could be nice if there was mod which would make Imoen turn to dust after her death. Irenicus' dungeon might be a problem, but it could be easily solved, for example, by Imoen running away as soon as she opens PC's cage. Stress, fear, fear again...

When the PC dies, it's game over - hardcoded.

However... the PC doesn't always have to be in the party...

You can script the PC leaving, and being replaced with another creature, or you can use one of the opcodes (I forget which, maybe DestroySelf) to just eliminate the PC without the game noticing.

I've no idea how these affect tokens and so on, and yes, it does break the plot (and pretty much defeats char-gen, unless you modify that abit).

On the other hand, it could be nice if there was mod which would make Imoen turn to dust after her death. Irenicus' dungeon might be a problem, but it could be easily solved, for example, by Imoen running away as soon as she opens PC's cage. Stress, fear, fear again...

Actually, Imoen has a min1hp item in Irenicus' Dungeon and runs away when her hp get's too low anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Archived