kits in BG1 Tutu

Lemernis

War Hammer + + + + (here I won't equip with a shield obviously)

That's anything but obvious, actually. Are you under the impression you get some kind of penalty for using a shield without Sword and Shield Style?

Heh, yep that's exactly what I was thinking!

It is a distinct combat style, actually. In ancient and medieval warfare, the shield was used offensively to push the opponent off balance, or smack him in the face at close quarters, etc. Fighters in professional armies were trained in a repetoire of standard strikes and parries that required coordination of both a shield on one arm and a weapon in the other.

So if proficiency may be acquired for this distinct fighting style in SoA, then you'd think there there would be a penalty for using shield if you haven't gained any. But evidently that is not the case, right?

Ah, good to know! Thanks.

Are there any cases you can think of where it makes sense to put a prof into Sword and Shield Style, though? Eg, for non-Fighters (or Fighter kits), where you've maxed on profs for your favorite weapon, you don't have the option of dual wielding, the favored weapon isn't a two-handed one, etc.?

Well, yeah. Fighter/clerics, or full clerics or something similar, who already have the max proficiency in the weapon(s) they use can put a few points in it. Giving a +2 with 1 point, and another +2 with two isn't too bad, just not very good compared to the advantage of weapon grandmastery.

I just took a look at how the Monk evolves in BG1Tutu through levels 8 with the CLUA console.

I use the Tutu Tweaks option that allows mutliple AC-improving items, as in PnP.

The Monk's AC can be lowered to -1 with bracers of defense AC 7, two rings protection +1, amulet of protection +1, a cloak or protection +1. If you're the type of player that only does things that make decent sense for the various constellation of personalities in the party, all of these could be reasonably obtained early on by a Good or Neutral aligned party (well, at least if you have a thief in the party who would steal on the sly from the farmer on the zombie map :p).

Later on you can get AC down -4 with bracers of AC 6, RoP +2, and CoP +2.

Anyway, the AC is acceptable early on when equipped with the right items. For me, that makes the class playable at least.

But as I monitored the THACO through the levels, I was rather disappointed. THACO reaches only 12 by level 8, which is not impressive. THACO remains quite high for levels 1-6, where the bulk of the game's action takes place. For most of the game this character's attacks are going to be missing a good deal of the time, which doesn't sound very fun for a martial artist.

Anyone know of a way to improve THACO for a Monk in BG1Tutu?

I gave him profs in Katana and Darts (closest thing to surikens) at character creation. And as he leveled I figure I'd probably choose Single Weapon Style and Scrimtar (because scrimitars are relatively exotic).

I guess a good katana will help. After expending his one-per-day Stunning Blow he could switch to the katana, I suppose.

Archived