Translating BG1NPC

Caswallon

I was afraid of this question. I am really not kin on TRA'ifying, especially with the bug reports coming in and a few small things that will need to be added still. I now that I can always add extra folder with the new files etc, to avoid messing up with TRA... but on another hand, what are the benefits of having TRA's, appart from the highly unlikely translation (I never worked with TRA's myself, so I just don't know)?

I'm asking because of translation. :)

Some time ago, we started a German translation (don't recall which version that was). Granted, there hasn't been progress for quite some time now, so it's entirely possible that there may never be one.

Now and then, however, people ask for a translation, and others get interested in contributing, so I'd thought I'd ask anyway. :p

Adding to TRAs even if they've been released before is no problem.

We could, of course, just start (or better: go on) and ask again if we ever come close to completion.

Thinking of it, that's probably the best way. So... errm, just ignore me. :p:)

We could, of course, just start (or better: go on) and ask again if we ever come close to completion.

Thinking of it, that's probably the best way. So... errm, just ignore me. 

I am not sure if it is a good idea. To make a translation, you still need consent of all the mod authors, otherwise your time and effort may end up in vain, if not in conflict. I would rather wait: version 11 has just been released, there may be bugs, edits, minor additions and so on.

I am not sure if it is a good idea. To make a translation, you still need consent of all the mod authors, otherwise your time and effort may end up in vain, if not in conflict. I would rather wait: version 11 has just been released, there may be bugs, edits, minor additions and so on.

*sigh*

Is that how this project handles that?

If so, then I want to ask all the mod authors for permission now, just to have that covered. Where would I best be doing that?

Of course, preliminary translations would have to be checked against the then current version of the mod later. It's just for having *something* to start with. I don't really expect any results before spring anyway.

Huh, I never asked for everyone permissions before, when the guys tried to do a French translation once, but nobody ever objected to the attempt. So, I guess it's more of the does anyone from the 'new' gang object question.

I am not sure if it is a good idea. To make a translation, you still need consent of all the mod authors,

That's not how you handle translations. Let's assume someone wants to do a French or Polish or Spanish translation of the mod. I don't speak any of these languages, so how would I be able to judge whether the person has done a good job on translating my texts or not? So, yeah, if someone steps forward and wants to tackle the load of translation, I think we are supposed to be gracious enough to give the person the benefit of the doubt to do a good job. In further words, you don't the consent of each and everyone who has ever written a word for the mod.

The German translation work stopped because newer versions did not base on the TRAfied version we were working on, at least that was my impression. So, a TRA-version would be really great, thank you, Domi!

EDIT: It should be no problem to send translations to you for your agreement on your part before releasing anything, Kulyok. Translations are done by an active group who's translating many mods, so quality is either good or we German players are all tasteless. :p

Thank you for your trust. :p

I was / will be active in the translations for BG1NPC and most if not all texts are dicussed in forums so there comes a lot of feedback. Plus BG-consistency is tried to be maintained and the results are usually really good. If it is OK for you I could go over all texts before the release or something. It's a lot of work but if this is the restriction for a German translation I will do it. For me the mod will be only perfect once it is translated. :)

Of course. Thank you very much.

I apologise if it seems unnecessary scrutiny, or even reluctance to have the mod translated; on the contrary, I would very much like to see BG1 NPC in German, French, Russian and so on. (Should I apply as Russian translator myself, by the way? :p ) But as one of the writers, I feel responsibility for my texts in any language, whether it is English, German, or Russian, so I have to be sure that the average non-English user will be comfortable when playing it. Again, I am sorry if it offended someone.

Archived