Sharpshooter, take 2

Andyr

That was probably the reasoning to 6 levels, yeah.

And regarding poison/called shot, I don't know what to change it to. I don't like the existing Called Shot ability but Poison doesn't seem perfect either--another issue is I want the ability to be something that works whether your ranged weapon is bow, crossbow, dart, dagger or sling and I am not sure if you could poison a sling bulllet in the same way as one of the piercing attacks, for example. Would you just dip the shot in poison, or what?

PnP called shot is the best idea in my opinion

"

Thief: (To approximate not breaking Stealth)

Level 5: -1 bonus to THAC0

Level 10: Each hit has 10% chance of rendering the Thief Invisible for 1 round

Level 15: +2 bonus to damage

Level 21: Chance of Invisibility raised to 20%, and time is 2 rounds

"

Yeah..

It sounds to me like the only reason you are still using poison is because you are looking to find something better. I think called shot needs to be different the rogue as well. Given the fact he won't be able to attack as often and will never hit as often with the attacks he does make I think his called shot should be somewhat more damaging than the Ranger's called shot. Especially since you are taking away his backstab. Here's a thought.

Level 5: -1 bonus to THAC0 per 5 levels (makes his called shots almost as likely to connect as a Rangers would be.)

Level 10: Called shots do full damage.

Level 15: Slows target for 2 rounds unless target saves at -1 per 5 rogue levels.

Level 20: Called shots inflict bleeding damage. (No save. The 3E arterial strike feat inflicts like 10 damage over the course of 2 rounds or so. That oughtta work.)

Just a rough outline. I really like the idea of bleeding damage, as it is possible to inflict with a bullet and removes the need for using poison. (Same basic effect as poison. Just a different explanation for why it happens..) I think having his called shots inflict bleeding damage will take care of the struggle you're having with reconciling the called shot and poison use.

I spoke to Sim and he meant something different.

Yarpen: I'd prefer not to resort to scripting as it can be broken.

An idea I am toying with now, based on my chat with Sim, is a "Stealth Shot" ability. Something which makes the character invisible, and adds bonus to ranged weapon damage for the next round.

Sharpshooters gaining THAC0/Damage bonuses every 6 levels is designed to make the bonuses roughly concurrent, in terms of EXP, with when a Ranger Archer would get those same bonuses. The Sharpshooter is based on the Archer, after all, not the overpowered Swashbuckler.

I think the "Called Shot having a % chance of turning the Sharpshooter Invisible for 1 round" and the "Stealth Shot grants Improved Invisibility and increased Missile Damage" plans are of equal merit. Both are appropriately Thiefy, and don't steal the Assassin's thunder.

Archived