Earthwalker kit

SixOfSpades

EARTHWALKER

Class: Druid

Race: Human, Half-Elf

Alignment: TN

There is more to the Druidic call than simply caring for the welfare of the plants and animals of Nature's domain; sometimes the ground itself is under threat. Whenever "civilized" society seeks to undertake some major project that interferes with the integrity of the land, such as a large mining operation, or using sorcerous magic to blast a tunnel through the mountains, they are almost sure to come under the disapproval of Earthwalkers, who make it their business to ensure the sanctity of Mother Earth. Due to their disregard of the majority of Nature's creatures, Earthwalkers have few allies, even among other Druids, and are therefore rare, but quite potent in their sphere nonetheless. They are the most likely Druids to carry weapons made of stone, or, in exceptional cases, petrified wood. They most commonly dwell in caves, though they have been known to raise complex earthworks for defense in times of war. Earthwalkers do not get along with Dwarves, for obvious reasons, nor with most Gnomes, though Svirfneblin are largely free of this enmity. For their holy symbol, Earthwalkers commonly use a piece of crystal or an uncut gemstone, and they make a point of going barefoot at all times, in token of their everpresent connection with the land.

ADVANTAGES:

* At Level 13, becomes immune to Petrification

* Gains access to Wizard spells of Conjure Earth Elemental, Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Hold Undead, Protection from Petrification, Protection from the Elements, Slow, Stoneskin, and Stone to Flesh, cast as Priest spells of equivalent level. Summoned Earth Elementals will instinctively obey the caster, with no need for the mental combat required of a Wizard. Note: Stoneskin and Ironskin do not stack--should an Earthwalker cast them both, the newer casting will simply replace the older.

* Once per day per 6 levels, may cast Create Golem. This spell will summon either a Lesser Clay, Sand, Clay, or Stone Golem, depending on the Earthwalker's level and the surrounding terrain. If the ability is used in an area where there are no nearby materials from which the Golem can be made, the spell is wasted. The Golem will obey its creator's orders for 12 hours or until destroyed, after which it reverts to its elements. The ability has a casting time of 1 turn.

* Once per day per 9 levels, may cast Flintfist: Their hand is turned into a +5 enchanted magical melee weapon that has the following effects: Lesser Clay Golems and Lesser Earth Elementals must Save vs. Wands with a +2 penalty or be Charmed for 5 turns. Sand and Clay Golems, and Earth Elementals, must Save with a -2 bonus. Stone Golems and Greater Earth Elementals get a -4 bonus, and Iron Golems get a -9 bonus. All other creatures (including Flesh, Juggernaut, Ice, and Adamantite Golems) must Save vs. Polymorph with a -3 bonus or be Petrified. The Flintfist spell is only active for two rounds after being cast, and if the Earthwalker fails to hit the target on the first try, the spell is wasted.

* Gains ToB HLAs of Freedom, Imprisonment, and Iron Golem Transformation (possibly Summoning)

DISADVANTAGES:

* Cannot wear Boots (nonremovable "Feet" item stuck in Boot slot)

* Does not gain spells of Detect Evil, Entangle, Goodberry, Call Lightning, Summon Insects, Call Woodland Beings, Insect Plague, Conjure Fire Elemental, Fire Seeds, Creeping Doom, Barkskin, Animal Summoning I, Farsight, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Animal Summoning II, Animal Summoning III, Conjure Animals, or Firestorm.

* Loses regular Druidic Shapeshifting abilities

* Does not gain ToB HLAs of Fire Elemental Transformation, Aura of Flaming Death, Storm of Vengeance, or Summon Deva

Thoughts?

I do not see any advantages from a powergamer's perspective. All the gained spells noted in the advantages section are quite weak, immunity to petrification is covered by a 1-level spell, Fist requires To Hit (!), and HLA's do not seem great at all. Add the disadvantages, and it does not work for me at all.

What about Earthquake as a special ability on higher levels? Extra Constitution points, perhaps a Shambling Mound shapeshifting ability? Imprisonment well before 3.000.000 of experience? That would make the kit at least partly bearable, in my opinion.

Why the restriction to TN only (since we open other alignments)?

I like the premise, and the 'no boots' idea. :D I might do something with this; when I have an idea I think is decent I'll post it here for your critique.

For the spell restrictions, I see the idea but we'd probably restrict it on a sphere basis rather than pick out some spells.

A couple of those wizard spells are already available to a standard druid, namely Conjure Earth Elemental and Hold Person.

Hold Person is not. Conjure Earth Elemental appears as a Druid Level 7 spell (in Xyx's spell chart, but not mine--must verify who's correct, probably him), but Earthwalkers would get it at Level 6 instead....there are plenty of other good Level 7 spells.

I do not see any advantages from a powergamer's perspective. All the gained spells noted in the advantages section are quite weak, immunity to petrification is covered by a 1-level spell, Fist requires To Hit (!), and HLA's do not seem great at all. Add the disadvantages, and it does not work for me at all.

Really! I was afraid I would get called out for making the kit too overpowered, what with being able to do things like possibly sic a Clay Golem on a Dragon. Okay....some changes. Some biting and stinging insects do live underground, so I'll give them back 2 of their Insect spells. And Melf's Minute Meteors, and the Cleric spell of Magic Stone, even though it sucks, but hey, it's got the word 'stone' in the title. I'll add a few more immunities and build up their combat resistances. Yeah, I knew that almost all "on-hit" spells are total suckage (the only one even worth considering is Harm), which is why I made it a +5 weapon, thinking the THAC0 bonus might make it work sometimes. But now I'm considering it as a ranged single-target spell, probably with one of the Bigby's animations.

Why the restriction to TN only (since we open other alignments)?

Force of habit, I believe. :D

For the spell restrictions, I see the idea but we'd probably restrict it on a sphere basis rather than pick out some spells.

Quite, especially since that's the way Divine Remix handles things--and it also makes the Kit Description a lot less bulky than what I've got here.

(new) ADVANTAGES:

• Gains immunity to Petrification at Level 1, Slow at Level 3, Hold at Level 6, Implosion at Level 9, and Imprisonment at Level 12. (also immune to Buried Alive, and possibly Chill of the Grave & Abyssal Darkness, but that needn't be mentioned)
  • Every 5 levels, gains -1 bonus to AC and 5% bonus to all Physical resistances, up to -6 and 30% at Level 30
  • Gains access to the Cleric spell of Magic Stone, as well as the Wizard spells of Conjure Earth Elemental, Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental, Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone*, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Hold Undead, Melf's Minute Meteors, Protection from Petrification, Protection from the Elements, Slow, Stoneskin**, and Stone to Flesh, cast as Priest spells of equivalent level. Summoned Earth Elementals will instinctively obey the caster, with no need for the mental combat required of a Wizard.
    * Flesh to Stone carries a +3 penalty to the target's Saving Throw when cast by an Earthwalker.
    ** Stoneskin and Ironskin do not stack--should an Earthwalker cast them both, the newer casting will simply replace the older.

• Once per day per 7 levels, may cast Create Golem. This spell will animate either a Lesser Clay, Sand, Clay, or Stone Golem, depending on the Earthwalker's level and the surrounding terrain. If the ability is used in an area where there are no nearby materials from which the Golem can be made, the spell is wasted. The Golem will obey its creator's orders for 12 hours or until destroyed, after which it reverts to its elements. These Golems are created, not Summoned, and are therefore immune to Death Spell. The ability has a casting time of 1 turn.
  • At Level 16, gains "Grasp of Grumbar" ability. The Earthwalker selects a target creature, and the disembodied hand of Grumbar siezes it within his grip. His touch has varying effects: Lesser Clay Golems and Lesser Earth Elementals must Save vs. Wands with a +4 penalty or be Charmed for 5 turns. Sand Golems, Clay Golems, and Earth Elementals must also Save, but with no penalty. Stone Golems and Greater Earth Elementals get a -2 bonus, and Iron Golems get a -7 bonus. Aerial Servants and almost all Air Elementals perish instantly, with no Saving Throw. Djinni will also be slain unless they make a Save vs. Death with a +2 penalty. All other creatures are Held for one round, take 2D10 Blunt damage, and must Save vs. Polymorph with a -3 bonus or be Petrified. The Petrification effect is the only one subject to the target's Magic Resistance. Additional uses of this ability are gained at Levels 20, 24, and 28.
  • Gains ToB HLAs of Avoid Death, Comet, Freedom, Imprisonment, Meteor Swarm, and Create Iron Golem (may be used anywhere without wasting the ability, casting time of 1 round).

(new) DISADVANTAGES:

• Cannot wear Boots
  • Does not gain spells of Detect Evil, Entangle, Goodberry, Call Lightning, Call Woodland Beings, Insect Plague, Conjure Fire Elemental, Fire Seeds, Barkskin, Animal Summoning I, Farsight, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Animal Summoning II, Animal Summoning III, Conjure Animals, or Firestorm.
  • Loses regular Druidic Shapeshifting abilities
  • Does not gain ToB HLAs of Fire Elemental Transformation, Aura of Flaming Death, Storm of Vengeance, Summon Deva, or Summon Fallen Deva

Really! I was afraid I would get called out for making the kit too overpowered, what with being able to do things like possibly sic a Clay Golem on a Dragon. Okay....some changes. Some biting and stinging insects do live underground, so I'll give them back 2 of their Insect spells. And Melf's Minute Meteors, and the Cleric spell of Magic Stone, even though it sucks, but hey, it's got the word 'stone' in the title. I'll add a few more immunities and build up their combat resistances. Yeah, I knew that almost all "on-hit" spells are total suckage (the only one even worth considering is Harm), which is why I made it a +5 weapon, thinking the THAC0 bonus might make it work sometimes. But now I'm considering it as a ranged single-target spell, probably with one of the Bigby's animations.

*nods* That's exactly what I would have done - very cool. I've read the description, and though it's a tad long, it is something I am eager to try.

Okay, Andy, what are you waiting for? Get the kit done already! :D

Good luck with the next version, anyways.

I think it's a touch light on the disadvantages, but I think that'll be determined, ultimately, by which spheres (and their associated spells) get dropped. Normal druids get major access to all, animal, elemental (all), plant, sun, and weather. I could see the Earthwalker losing non-earth elemental, animal, and sun, leaving all, elemental (earth only), plant, and weather.

Here's my current idea for abilities:

ADVANTAGES:

- Gains immunity to Petrification at Level 1, Slow at Level 3, Hold at Level 6, Implosion at Level 9, and Imprisonment at Level 15. (also immune to Buried Alive, and possibly Chill of the Grave & Abyssal Darkness, but that needn't be mentioned)

- Every 5 levels, gains -1 bonus to AC and 5% bonus to all Physical resistances, up to -6 and 30% at Level 30

- Gains access to the Cleric spell of Magic Stone, as well as the Wizard spells of Conjure Earth Elemental, Conjure Lesser Earth Elemental, Conjure Earth Elemental Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Hold Monster, Hold Person, Hold Undead, Melf's Minute Meteors, Protection from Petrification, Protection from the Elements, Slow, Stoneskin, and Stone to Flesh, cast as Priest spells of equivalent level. Summoned Earth Elementals will instinctively obey the caster, with no need for the mental combat required of a Wizard.

- Gains Greater Elemental Summoning (Earth only) instead of Conjure Earth Elemental as a level 7 priest spell.

- From level 7, once per day per 7 levels, may cast Create Golem. This spell will animate either a Lesser Clay, Sand, Clay, or Stone Golem, depending on the Earthwalker's level and the surrounding terrain. If the ability is used in an area where there are no nearby materials from which the Golem can be made, the spell is wasted. The Golem will obey its creator's orders for 12 hours or until destroyed, after which it reverts to its elements. These Golems are created, not Summoned, and are therefore immune to Death Spell. The ability has a casting time of 1 turn.

DISADVANTAGES:

- Cannot wear Boots

- Loses access to the spheres of animal, elemental water elemental air, sun and elemental (general)

- Only has minor access to the sphere of elemental fire

- Loses regular Druidic abilities (such as shapeshifting and elemental/poison resistances)

HLA stuff:

Determined by spheres. Also gets Hardiness, Freedom, Imprisonment, Avoid Death, Comet, Meteor Swarm, Create Iron Golem, Grasp of Grumbar.

Not sure how easy it'd be to code the variable golem summoning, though.

DISADVANTAGES:

-  Cannot wear Boots

-  Loses access to the spheres of animal, elemental water elemental air, sun and elemental (general)

-  Only has minor access to the sphere of elemental fire

-  Loses regular Druidic abilities (such as shapeshifting and elemental/poison resistances)

HLA stuff:

Determined by spheres. Also gets Hardiness, Freedom, Imprisonment, Avoid Death, Comet, Meteor Swarm, Create Iron Golem, Grasp of Grumbar.

Not sure how easy it'd be to code the variable golem summoning, though.

Hmm. I've been looking through the various spheres (both Cleric and Druid), and come up with this preferred arrangement for the Earthwalker:

Major access to spheres of Elemental Earth, Healing, Combat, All, Protection

Minor access to spheres of Charm, Law, Summoning, Wards

No access to spheres of Elemental Air, Elemental Fire, Weather, Plant, Animal, Chaos, Divination, Necromantic

There are also ways in which the spells that seem appropriate don't follow any sphere guidelines: I want the Earthwalker to be able to protect against elemental damage, but not do any of his own (except where the damge gets 'tacked on' to the rocks, as in MMM and Meteor Swarm). But, following the spheres, he can't cast Protection from Lightning because that's in the Weather sphere.

In the same vein, I'd prefer it if the Earthwalker kept his Druidic elemental resistances. Becomes more stone-like and resistant to damage, perhaps with concurrent DEX/CHA penalties. They shouldn't get Hardiness, though, they've essentially learned a permanent innate Hardiness already, and their natural resistances + AoF + Hardiness + Acension boost would just be insane, and also non-dispellable apart from the AoF.

We'd have to arrange a 2DA file for the types of Golems that could be created in each area, similar to the Tracking file for Rangers & Bounty Hunters.

Oh, and suggestions for a better name for the Earthwalker are welcome. :D

Why Law?

Because rocks are so darn stable. They're as solid as a....well. That's why I have those Slow and Hold spells (and immunities) in there, too. But I'm not married to those, they just seemed in-character. Change what you want, but I'd like some degree of control over the final verdict--I'd really rather not see this become another Sharpshooter, with nothing but disadvantages.

As for the golem creation, Cam reckons it would be easier to do via an invisible creature and scripting, so that's a possibility.

Hm. Interesting. I doubt this is possible, but it'd be nice if that invisible creature can detect if you've recently killed a Golem of a legal type, so the Earthwalker can just walk up to it and animate it again. I mean, there doesn't seem to be any stone in Suldenessellar (treehouses made of stone just don't make sense), so ordinarily I'd say an Earthwalker couldn't create a Stone Golem there due to lack of materials, but if you've just killed one, then....

Of course, if we were really roleplaying this, an Earthwalker could take out the Guarded Compound simply by animating the pillars that hold up the 2nd floor. :D

Hm. Interesting. I doubt this is possible, but it'd be nice if that invisible creature can detect if you've recently killed a Golem of a legal type, so the Earthwalker can just walk up to it and animate it again.

I think it's possible. If See() still works after creature death, then it's easy enough to move, create a new golem, then DestroySelf() the old one. If See() doesn't work, you can call in another invisible creature trick so that each golem death is marked with one.

I think it's possible. .... If See() doesn't work, you can call in another invisible creature trick so that each golem death is marked with one.

Interesting! Sounds a bit awkward to code, but interesting!

One thing that worries me, though, Andyr: Currently, both our designs have Grasp of Grumbar limited to ToB levels, which indeed it really should be if it uses an animation that ships with ToB. The only problem is....there aren't any Golems in ToB, except a handful in the Air Library in Watcher's Keep, making the Charm aspect of it really useless--especially considering how handy it would have been to use it on the dozens of eligible Golems in SoA. I'm trying to think of ways around this, but so far haven't come up with anything.

Archived