NPC Tweak vs. Cirrerek's Totemic Cernd

Bursk

I didn't realise that there was more than one mod that modified everyone's least favourite druid (and I've looked at your page on a few occasions, Cirerrek - doh!).

Apart from the stats, what are the differences between Totemic Cernd and NPC Tweak Cernd? Is Totemic Cernd compatible with most mods? Do you have any version updates planned?

Sorry about all the questions!

I didn't realise that there was more than one mod that modified everyone's least favourite druid (and I've looked at your page on a few occasions, Cirerrek - doh!).

Apart from the stats, what are the differences between Totemic Cernd and NPC Tweak Cernd?  Is Totemic Cernd compatible with most mods?  Do you have any version updates planned?

Sorry about all the questions!

Heh, I've been waiting for some feedback on Totemic Cend for about 2 years or so. So you wouldn't be the first to not notice that it was hanging out down there towards the bottom.

Well contentwise, about the only thing that is different is that I came up with a solution for handling the fight between Faldorn and Cernd in the Druid Grove.

Installation wise, NPC Tweaks version is hands down better. My version overwrites several files associated with Cernd. It should be compatible with any mod that doesn't overwrite the same files and I don't know of any off hand that do (that lack of feedback thing again :p).

With the advent of the NPC Tweak mod, I'm in a quandry. I could update my version, which I may very well do just to get a better handle on how to use WeiDU better, or I could leave it up to the NPC Tweak crew.

Then again, looking at Orions_Stardom explanation of WRITE_BYTE, I may run and hide (Hexidecimal and offsets look extremely scary :p).

Heh, I've been waiting for some feedback on Totemic Cend for about 2 years or so.  So you wouldn't be the first to not notice that it was hanging out down there towards the bottom. 

Well contentwise, about the only thing that is different is that I came up with a solution for handling the fight between Faldorn and Cernd in the Druid Grove.

Installation wise, NPC Tweaks version is hands down better.  My version overwrites several files associated with Cernd.  It should be compatible with any mod that doesn't overwrite the same files and I don't know of any off hand that do (that lack of feedback thing again :p). 

With the advent of the NPC Tweak mod, I'm in a quandry.  I could update my version, which I may very well do just to get a better handle on how to use WeiDU better, or I could leave it up to the NPC Tweak crew. 

Then again, looking at Orions_Stardom explanation of WRITE_BYTE, I may run and hide (Hexidecimal and offsets look extremely scary :p).

Well, I do have some suggestions for you. Firstly, I think the current Totemic Cernd is way too powerful. He's so much better than he was originally, and also a lot better than his possible alternatives. So this means you're either likely to always choose him over anyone else (from a powergaming persective, and powergaming is surely the reason for such a large stat increase) or you won't ever choose him because he's overpowered.

I think you can still increase his stats but make him balanced. Here's what I propose:

STR: 13

DEX: 16

CON: 14

INT: 12

WIS: 18

CHA: 15

Total = 88 (the same total as Jaheira)

You'll see that all I've done is change his DEX from 9 to 16 and his CON from 13 to 14. A DEX of 16 gives him +1 Miss Att Adj and -2 AC Adj, which I think is a decent boost. He's still not as tough as Jaheira or Anomen, but then again he probably shouldn't be, since he's not a fighter. One clear advantage he does have over them both is his Wisdom, which gives him a much better magic defense than Jaheira and Anomen (+4 vs. 0 and 0/+2 respectively).

I think these changes make Cernd very worthy of consideration, without making him grossly overpowered. Anyway, it would be crap if all the NPCs had similar stats.

WRT what to do with your mod in light of NPC Tweak (which I agree is an ace mod), maybe you could consider a merge into/assimilation by NPC Tweak (provided Orions Stardom agrees, of course). If you're helping sort out the Cernd cutscene, then maybe this would be a fair trade. What if there are two versions of Totemic Cernd offered by NPC Tweak: [Regular] Totemic Cernd and Improved Totemic Cernd?

This way the community gets the benefit of both mods i.e. The cutscene and optional stat-boosted Cernd from your mod, and the better coding and original Totemic Cernd from NPC Tweak. Plus, let's face it, NPC Tweak seems to be better known than your mod, so there's a greater chance that Improved Totemic Cernd will actually be used. I'm sure full credit would be given.

Edit: Fixed quote tags. - Idobek

Cernd's Original Attributes:

STR: 13

DEX: 9

CON: 13

Total = 80

Cernd's New Attributes (Cirerrek's Totemic Cernd):

STR: 16

DEX: 17

CON: 16

Total = 94

Believe it or not, there was some logic behind the choice of the stat improvements.

I totaled the werewolf creatures stats + the totaled greater werewolf creatures stats added them together and divided by two which actually works out to be something like 97. Then I subtracted three to balance the three summons that he gained as a Totemic Druid.

Yeah, you could make the argument that the werewolf and greature werewolf stats are whacked (IIRC they both have a 17 INT), but I figured having some sort of system was better than none.

As for what to do with the mod, I'm leaning towards leaving it alone. I made a pass at looking up information on the Hexadecimal numbering system and I don't think I'll be able to wrap my mind around it without a lot of time or some insight from someone that can teach it to me. Adding file offsets into the picture just makes it seem even more ridiculously difficult.

I should have paid more attention in my programming classes :p

Oh wait, they were a bunch of crap (Using Fortran 77 to manipulate C Objects and GWBasic), so maybe paying attention wouldn't have helped.

As I stated earlier, orions_stardom and the NPC Tweak group are welcome to use what they need from the version I created. If you'd like to discuss further, Bursk, send me a PM or e-mail.

Cheers,

Archived