Multi-Install Tool v4.1 Released

Doomer The Shadly One

Does anyone use this and if yes, why ?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I made this poll because I know of a extremly simple way to install Baldur's Gate 2 on many different path minimum, recommend or full by simply browsing the cd1 (I don't have a real one but an image work fine) and by running the setup.exe or was it install.exe ? in any case I don't see the use of Multi-Install Tool v4.1 Released . I already had 3 different minimum install of BG2 before I seen that tool on the net wich is spoken of all around as if it had a use...If anyone think it's easier to download an appz and install it than to browse you're bg2 cd1 select setup.exe and then select a different path and choose minimum install then pressing on next then just vote Yes I use it and find out it's usefull and post us why and how and when...

If you run the install multiple, you'll have several full installs. If you use the tool or Cam's tutorial, you can cut down significantly on hard drive space. If you have a huge hard drive and space isn't an issue, well, kudos. But, for those who are scraping the bottom of the barrel for space, these alternate methods are very useful.

Well, I can use the app on the CD to make 10 installs of BG2 (yes, I really do have 10) and use 40-50 gigs of HDD space. Alternatively, I could use multi-install and use about 6 gigs and do this in a fraction of the time it would take to sit through Yet Another Install from CD.

(As a disclaimer, I should say that my installs were actually currently built the old fashioned way from my old, old how-to. I use most as a testing environment so I want to keep them as 'pure' as possible, including chitin.key chicanery.)

So yeah, I can see the usefulness. :D

And they will be a multi-install as well as it changes the reference pointer. It just looks at the CD folders in the original install rather than having redundant space consuming duplicates.

Once you have more than one, full installs DO take a lot of space.

Edit: Also, I believe there is an issue with the install program not allowing multiple ToB installs by running the setup.exe off the CD

Also, I believe there is an issue with the install program not allowing multiple ToB installs by running the setup.exe off the CD

Ah, yes, the ToB installer. Also, the official patches would likely freak out, too.

So, yeah, installing one complete set of SoA, ToB, and official patches, and then duplicating that install, is the way to go.

I can use the app on the CD to make 10 installs of BG2 (yes, I really do have 10)

Cam, I have 10, and I barely even mod anymore! You should be up to at least 20.

Anyway, I believe at one point, I had a clone-install down to about 20mb* - if you can get anywhere close to that by just using the setup program, I'd be impressed (stunned would be more like it).

The advantages of a 20mb install should be obvious - quick to create (no copying huge files around), and you can have a lot of them.

* Of course, most IE modding tools refused to work properly - I think I pestered Avenger into making DLTCEP work right though. Either that, or I wrote a program to edit the .key file as required.

Of course you can do what MIT does without it. But it's a silly reason for calling it not useful. It makes life easier for "the average user" You could mod all the files by hand without using weidu, right? Or for that matter you could write your own OS... the fact that something is doable "by hand" does not mean that a tool that does that for you is useless.

Archived