Remote Script Assign?

Guest D'Sparil

Guest D'Sparil

Hey.

Long, long ago, I used to be a member of TeamBG's forum, in addition to Forgotten Wars. I found this website from Socerers.net, and I'm glad to see that BG modding still lives on.

For a bit of an introduction, I discovered the Super Slayer Bug in 2003, but few really bothered to actually work it out.

In any matter, I've gone beyond my simple power gaming (not really), and I've actually gotten proficiency of scripting (amazing what time does to the human mind...) in a sparse few hours! Unfortunately, I have run across a problem.

My character is a would-be lich, and when he dies, he casts some very interesting magic effects. I've scripted him to, upon leaving the party if dead (chunked), to summon SKELHP1.cre as a PC. What I want to do is assign a script to SKELHP1.cre as soon as it spawns. I've searched for several hours, and did numerous experiements, but nothing has worked thus far.

In addition, I have not been able to get the effects to play out, and I'm not quite sure how to do that, either (for a note, I've explored both the .ids and Gibberling 3's list of the actions and triggers, nearly a dozen times). If possible, I'd like the "Ghost" effect that plays after a creature has been killed by Death Spell, as well as the Animate Dead effect and the "earthquake" one that summons Gorion's bones in Throne of Bhaal.

Thank you.

Why not assign the script in the CRE file?

The short answer is I can't. Shadowkeeper and all Team BG tools don't work for me, and NI works only moderately. I suppose it's for the best, though; I have yet to encouter the Skelhp1.cre monster in the game, but if it were, I'd probably crash the game if I screwed with its original script in its original contex within the game.

Look for scripts that have the graphics effects you describe and borrow the spell effects from them.

Ah, a nice suggestion! Thanks, I'll fiddle with that. :D

Well, I found my effects, but only to realize I had already written them down. My original question can be interpreted, then, on how to apply the effects without creating a creature. I want two effects to happen on the place where my character dies, in addition to having a monster summoned in that exact place.

Long, long ago, I used to be a member of TeamBG's forum, in addition to Forgotten Wars.

A bit off-topic, but I just wanted to butt in and say that what used to be Forgotten Wars is now Spellhold Studios, and can be found very much alive here, with the forum here. :D

The short answer is I can't. Shadowkeeper and all Team BG tools don't work for me, and NI works only moderately. I suppose it's for the best, though; I have yet to encouter the Skelhp1.cre monster in the game, but if it were, I'd probably crash the game if I screwed with its original script in its original contex within the game.

Make an exact copy of the Skelhp1.cre creature, give it a different filename, and assign THAT your new script and summon THAT, not Skelhp1.cre.

Shadowkeeper is worthless for modding, don't even bother with that. If DLTCEP won't work for you, then I'd assume that you are either running a Mac or seriously need an upgrade to your PC. If that's the case, go to http://ire.mainecoon.net and download their modding tools.

Make an exact copy of the Skelhp1.cre creature, give it a different filename, and assign THAT your new script and summon THAT, not Skelhp1.cre.

Shadowkeeper is worthless for modding, don't even bother with that.  If DLTCEP won't work for you, then I'd assume that you are either running a Mac or seriously need an upgrade to your PC.  If that's the case, go to http://ire.mainecoon.net and download their modding tools.

I was challenged to avoid using the override file, so that's out of the question. I can't download any modding tools, with the exception of NI, which apparently is having problems because I can only edit sounds and scripts (any identification of the problem on this...)?

Furthermore, if anything, my computer is too powerful to run the Team BG tools, of which on a weaker PC I could run. With Win XP Professional, a load of Dell material, and a newly installed Norton Professional (deleted MacAffee) with (apparently) restricted permissions on my user (non-administrator) account, my options are limited.

Hence, the solution I am searching for is to assign a script via scripting, or some way to fix NI to allow me to edit the creature file. If this is not possible, it doesn't look like I will be able to get the creature thing working.

On another note, what is the command to initiate an effect at a certain point, especially in a character is dead? My guess is that, in relation to the creature runnin the script's position, [0,0] would be the best place to have an effect "where the creature died", but problems arise when my script apparently doesn't work after my creature has died, either chunked (leaving party) or normal.

Originally, my character had a script that went along these lines:

[superflous]

IF

Died(Myself)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

ForceSpell(Myself,CLERIC_RAISE_DEAD)

ReallyForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_TIME_STOP)

ForceSpell(Myself,CLERIC_HEAL)

END

[superflous]

The above does not work, under any circumstances.

Uh, continuing on with questions, I was also experimenting with a script to allow multiple creatures to be summoned while avoiding Bioware's limit. Just for fun, really, but that doesn't work, either. My script follows the one posted on the Action section of G3's TOB list, with the exception of Neither being spelled as "Niether" (the former is not in the alignment .ids) and various "myself" imputs where originally there was ().

Furthermore, if anything, my computer is too powerful to run the Team BG tools, of which on a weaker PC I could run. With Win XP Professional, a load of Dell material, and a newly installed Norton Professional (deleted MacAffee) with (apparently) restricted permissions on my user (non-administrator) account, my options are limited.

I can pretty much guarantee that your machine is not too powerful to run TeamBG tools and especially not DLTCEP. You've definitely got some problems though, given how NI is working (update Java maybe?).

IF

Died(Myself)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

END

No, it won't. What you want is MINHP1.ITM on the pre-death creature file. Then do something like this in the script:

IF
HP(Myself, 1)
!Dead(Myself)
THEN
RESPONSE #10
 CreateCreatureAtObject("PostDeathFile", Myself)
 DestroySelf()
END

What do you mean 'avoid the override file'? Any modification you make to game files will result in it being in put in the Override directory (there is no single 'override' file, just a directory).

My reasons are my own, and none else. To explain my reasoning would devalue you and be a simple waste of time.

I can pretty much guarantee that your machine is not too powerful to run TeamBG tools and especially not DLTCEP.  You've definitely got some problems though, given how NI is working (update Java maybe?).

I do not understand, either. I have NI in Beta and non-Beta format, although both no longer edit creatures or characters, and there's a problem; when editing a .bcs outside of the BCS directory, any .bc script that I edit afterward becomes permenately corrupt in NI's memory. Yes, the concept of NI having "memory" for something like a script seems fabricated, but deleting the offensive script and taking a BRAND NEW ONE, or editing a WORKING one, and then saving with the original name ends up in a corruption. Here's an example of what happens:

!Extract JonIrenicus.bcs script, move to Script directory, edit with NI.

!Edit Sorc.bc and SE.bc.

!Close NI, reopen, Sorc.bc, Se.bc, and JonIrenicus.bcs are corrupt.

!Delete Sorc.bc, Se.bc, and JonIrenicus.bcs, copy out Warlock.bc and rename it Sorc.bc, put back into Script directory.

!Edit Warlock.bc and Sorc.bc, close NI

!Reopen NI; Warlock.bc works, Sorc.bc corrupt.

Not the only bug, mind you, just the most annoying one yet. The scripts are corrupt in that they cannot be edited and crash the game upon initiation (even a simple Magic Missile spell, which seems to ignore all Global triggers and restrictions under corrupting).

IF

Died(Myself)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

END

No, it won't.  What you want is MINHP1.ITM on the pre-death creature file.  Then do something like this in the script:

I already made a script applying to the MinHP ring already, but I don't like it because potential script breaking makes my character immortal, the ring take up a slot and I can't equip it to any hidden slots, and lastly my character essentially loses an extra hit point from his total. It may not seem like much, but one HP is the difference between life and death. I don't think the script is worth it if I have to resort to something that could potentially cause annoying bugs or project an image of "cheapness", with the worse case senario leading to a crash of a multiplayer session of which I am host. A pity the EquipItem script is broken.

I'd rather not abandon the idea, though, and I would resort to using NI to editing the Skeleton to initiate the script, but why does it not function under dead conditions? Isn't the a script called ReallyForceSpellDead or something along those lines that cast spells when a character dies?

Lastly, how do I script in effects? The only effect triggers/actions I could cite from the various .ids files was "CreateCreatureObjectEffect", or something to that extent.

My reasons are my own, and none else. To explain my reasoning would devalue you and be a simple waste of time.

What I'm saying is any modification to game files you make will result in them going to Override.

(except for doing stuff to your PC or his character script, which go in the .sav and the scripts directory. But messing around with other scripts, skeletons etc will go in Override)

What I'm saying is any modification to game files you make will result in them going to Override.

(except for doing stuff to your PC or his character script, which go in the .sav and the scripts directory. But messing around with other scripts, skeletons etc will go in Override)

Yeah, though the scripts directory is a kind of override too.

You could even put modded .cre files there :D

The only time I had trouble with NI corrupting scripts was with IWD2; it was assigning too many/not enough integers in place of unspecified parameters in special situations. I found that out by comparing original and edited script source code side-by-side in a hex editor. The game would load the script, but it wouldn't parse correctly so things didn't work as expected.

NI works fine otherwise, though I'm always logged in as Administrator on my XP Pro system. If you don't have the correct version of Java installed, NI will throw an error message at you while it starts up. If you aren't getting that then I'd be suspicious of your Windows settings/permissions, or perhaps you're suffering from an incomplete/interrupted Java installation.

I simply deleted that script, and I won't fiddle with it later.

In any matter, I believe I have figured away around using the override file, and it's not a big deal...with only one problem.

Apparently, the ReallyForceSpellDead script does not work, but Bioware claims it does and has a number of scripts using that action. Heck, I can't get any action to trigger if my character has died, be that an effect or monster summoning. Any elaborations?

Archived