Blighter & Wasteland Druid kit

Surtr

First, I'm sorry if these kit ideas were already been discussed before but I didn't found any topics about them. As you may know, the Blighter is from the D&D source Masters of the Wild (3ed) & the Wasteland Druid is from the D20 System book Undead (3ed). Both druid PrC's have an unique RP flavour which makes them interesting and different from the other druids. :D

After a lot of thinking, I've more or less changed both PrC's to kits for the BG2 engine. But since I’m under average familiar with this kind of engine, I don’t know if they’re code-able or not. :shrugs: Just though it may be fun to play a different type of druid in BG2 than the common tree&animal-huggers. :D

BLIGHTER

When a druid turns away from the land, the land turns away from her. Some ex-druids make peace with this change; others seek to restore the bond. A few, however, actually embrace their disconnection from nature and become forces of destruction. These few, called blighters, leave their mark wherever they tread.

The vast majority of blighters are nomadic loners constantly in search of green lands to destroy. Some are grim; others laugh at the destruction they wreak. Almost all, however, are friendless and mad.

What puts them over the edge is the knowledge that nature gets the last laugh: To gain their spells, they must seek out the richest forests of the land, even if it’s only to destroy them. Thus, even though they’ve turned away from nature, they must constantly return to it.

Advantages:

- From level 5 can cast Burning Hands at will. This ability functions in the same manner as the first level wizard spell Burning Hands

- From level 9 can use Undead Wild Shape; 1/day plus one use every two additional blighter levels. Undead Wild Shape functions like Wild Shape, except that the forms available are those of undead creatures (specifically skeletons) formerly of the animal type. In addition, she gains the ability to take the shape of a Large skeletal animal at 11th level, an incorporeal skeletal animal at 13th level, and a Huge skeletal animal at 15th level

- From level 12 can use Contagious Touch; 1/day plus every two additional blighter levels. This ability functions in the same manner as the fourth level wizard spell Contagion.

- From level 14 can use Animate Dead Animal 1/day. This ability functions in the same manner as the five level wizard spell Animate Dead, except that it affects only corpses of animal creatures

- From level 16 can use Plague 1/day. This ability functions in the same manner as the fourth level wizard spell Contagion, except that it affects all targets within a 20-foot radius.

- Major access to the spheres of necromantic and chaos.

Disadvantages:

- Must be of non-good Alignment

- Cannot summon woodland beings, animals (except insects & vermin), or other servants of nature

- Does not gain other druidic special abilities (such as the standard wild shape forms, immunity to poison, or the elemental resistances at high levels)

- No access to spells from the spheres of animal (except insect & vermin spells), plant, healing, and sun

WASTELAND DRUID

Most druids see death as a continuum. Death returns a creature to its native soil and allows new life to spring forth. If a herd is not culled, then soon the land is stressed beyond all capacity and can no longer support any life.

Some druids take this doctrine to the extreme. Those druids that live in broken or devastated lands must adopt a new philosophy, one in which not ever acre of land is filled with the teeming life of the wild. Wasteland Druids live on the edge of life and undeath that must be honoured.

From the viewpoint of their nature loving cousins, the Wasteland Druid is an abomination and a blessing all at once. Who else will do what must be done, despite the horrors of such a task?

Advantages:

- Major Access to the sphere of necromantic

- Can rebuke undead like an evil cleric does

- From level 5 can use Undead Form; 1hour/day plus one additional use on 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th level. He can change at 5th level into a ghoul, skeleton, or zombie. At 7th level he may change into a ghast, at 9th into a wight, at 11th into a wraith and finally at 13th level into a ghost

- From level 8, wasteland druids never eat, drink, or sleep. This grants them immunity to all sleep and exhausting effects

- From level 15, wasteland druids have permanently resist elements on themselves which is effective against all energy forms. This ability cannot be dispelled or be turned off

Disadvantages:

- Must be of Neutral Evil Alignment

- On character creation, he receives a -2 to wisdom

- Does not gain other druidic special abilities (such as the wild shape forms, immunity to poison, or the elemental resistances at high levels)

Also, two questions about spheres and clerics:

Will we see the spheres destruction, evil, good and moon at some point in the future?

And do you guys plan to add the Frostmaiden of Auril and the Beastlord of Malar for v4 or v5? I’d love to see those, together with Gruumsh’s cleric of course. :D

Wasteland druid is already planned, yeah :D. The abilities I had planned were slightly different, though:

WASTELAND DRUID: Most druids see death as a continuum.  Death returns a creature to its native soil and allows new life to spring forth, and if a herd is not culled, then soon the land is stressed beyond all capacity and can no longer support any life.

Those druids that live in broken or devastated lands must adopt a new philosophy, one in which not every acre of land is filled with the teeming of life.  Some become wasteland druids, living on the edge of life, and understanding the precious balance between life and undeath that must be honored.

Advantages:

- Gains major access to the sphere of Necromancy

- +1 to saves vs. paralyzation/death every four levels

- Every three levels, may temporarily gain all the abilities, immunities and drawbacks of various types of undead.  The undead creatures powers that can be adopted include those of a Ghoul at 3rd level, Ghast at 6th, Wight at 9th, Wraith at 12th and Ghost at 15th.  The effects lasts for one hour.

- At 8th level, no longer needs rest, except to regain spells

- At 9th level, can summon an undead animal companion

Disadvantages:

- No access to the spheres of Plant or Sun

- -1 to saves vs. petrification/polymorph every four levels

- Cannot shapeshift

Destruction, evil, good and moon aren't spheres, but domains. The former is 2nd edition, and the latter 3rd edition. As such, they're not really compatible, though it must be said there are already a few spells which are only available to good priests, and a few only available to evil ones (neutral priests either have both, or neither).

The Frostmaiden of Auril is one of the three priest kits I'd most like to add in future versions, along with the Demarch of Mask and the Dweomerkeeper of Mystra.

Nice, it's good to know that the wasteland druid will be included in future versions of Divine Remix! :D

However, I have two questions about the progression you’ve planned for this kit:

Originally the wasteland druid has pretty strong Fortitude and Will saves (with Reflex as the weakest one), so why did you add those bonuses to paralysis/death saves and penalties to petrification/polymorph saves?

Also, why no alignment restriction (besides any Neutral), rebuke undead (if possible), and the -2 to Wisdom as stated in Undead, site 59?

Ahh, seems I’m still confused with spheres and domains. Guess it's a bad habit that comes from reading 3rd/3.5 edition books too much...

I’ll look forward to see the Frostmaiden of Auril and the others then. :D

Saving throws: 3E's fortitude, reflex and will don't exactly convert easily to BG2's paralyzation/poison/death, rod/staff/wand, petrification/polymorph, breath and spell :D. I originally just had the bonus to saves vs. paralyzation/poison/death, but it was decided a penalty to another saving throw was needed to help balance it.

Alignment restriction: I did the conversion before Divine Remix allowed druids to be of any alignment, so yeah, it can be made NE-only now.

Rebuke Undead: I could be wrong, but I don't believe the BG2 engine allows druid kits which can turn/command undead.

Wisdom: The kit doesn't have all the prestige class's advantages, so it doesn't really need all its disadvantages either. That said, I'm not sure why I missed off Lifeless Pallor (since it could be done within the engine), so the wisdom penalty might be needed after all.

Archived