Overpowered weapons?

Guest Shard (Moongaze)

Guest Shard (Moongaze)

Thanks. I'm fond of longswords, actually, so I'll see what I can do in that department. I have some other ideas regarding weaponry, as well.

Here's a few rather overpowered items, which certainly shouldn't be in SoA but might be usable in ToB.

A long time ago there was the PnP Module White Plume Mountain, where you had to track down three powerful magic weapons; the longsword Blackrazor, the halberd Wave, and the warhammer Whelm. 2 out of 3 got into BG2. Whelm if used by a dwarf was/is a WArhmmer+5, dwarven thrower. It gives you claustrophobia, so when used outdoors in daytime you attack at -2, outdoors at night at -1, and only at your full effect indoors or underground. I expect it isn't workable, but the other two are in the game.

Foebane was part of a set of six of six weapons all made for various leaders in Myth Drannor. Foebane was the most powerful, but none were weak. The others, with an approximation of their abilities in BG terms, are as follows.

Flamebane, aka Evaelethil.

Shortsword +4, damage 1d6+4, +6 damage versus Undead and Extraplanar creatures, +1 to Charisma, Charm Animal 1/day, Resist Fear (permanent). Should only be used by halflings.

Plaguebane aka Mhaorathil.

Shortsword +4, damage 1d6+4, +8 damage versus Undead creatures, Cure Disease 1/day, Cure Light Wounds 2/day, Fire Shield 1/day. Should only be used by a dwarf.

Darkbane aka Morvian.

Two-handed sword +4, damage 1d12+4, +6 damage versus Undead and Extraplanar creatures, +10 damage versus Dragons, Sunfire 1/day.

Battlebane aka Faervian.

Longsword+4, damage 1d8+4, +6 damage versus Undead and Extraplanar creatures, Fireball 1/day.

Hatebane aka Dragathil

Longsword+4, damage 1d8+4, +6 damage versus Undead and Extraplanar creatures, Hold Person 1/day.

Since you're worried about overpowered items, these probably aren't what you want, but you might want to do a few ToB items, and they aren't too much for that. :D

Guest Meddle.

Right, i posted it at ppg, too

While i think that diversity is nice, i also beleive that weapons (and armor) of +3 and better enchantment should be one-of-a-kind items. Thats what really pisses me off in ToB and, say, NWN: +3 to +6 items that "dont bear hallmarks of any specific maker". Adventurer's Mart is already fully stocked with unique pieces of craft. It would be strange to notice that somewhat limited areas of Faerun attract tons of magical items. Either all other lands are short of them, or they are all the same. Quite a disbalance, if you ask me

Guest Rastor_As_Guest

To be honest, I really hate those upgradeable items. If you want to put +3 or better weapons in the game, then spare us that idiot Cespenar. WK has way too many good magic items in it and that should probably be addressed.

Right, i posted it at ppg, too

While i think that diversity is nice, i also beleive that weapons (and armor) of +3 and better enchantment should be one-of-a-kind items. Thats what really pisses me off in ToB and, say, NWN: +3 to +6 items that "dont bear hallmarks of any specific maker". Adventurer's Mart is already fully stocked with unique pieces of craft. It would be strange to notice that somewhat limited areas of Faerun attract tons of magical items. Either all other lands are short of them, or they are all the same. Quite a disbalance, if you ask me

I don't personally find the generic +3 weapons much of a problem, simply because I never buy any having generally already obtained weaponry with just as big a bonus and some special effects. I agree though that it doesn't make sense having them available (in a perfectly ordinary inn in Saradush :D ). Though as I said above I prefer having to work for powerful items.

Named items, one-of-a-kind things are another matter. I like them a lot, simply because there's a history attached to them. I believe any weapon of more than +2 should be named, simply because they are supposed to be rare.

On a more realistic note, compared to my last suggestions, there's a lot of nice low level spell effects that could be transferred to rings, amulets, or even boots. Weapons and armour are nice but there's lots of powerful and not so powerful ones, yet some classes don't have a wide range of unique and useful magic gear and could do with a few improvements. Clerics and monks seem particularly badly off for magic equipment.

Yes, the Answerer was satisfactory. Unfortunately, for me it comes at the stage when full Foebane is available, and Foebane beats this one hands down.

Blade of Roses is nice-looking, but damage is not good at all. Flavor... heh, I wonder if there is a single item in the unmodded game that I have not tried.

And Flame Tongue - I am not sure if you are using the correct description. To me, it's one of the worst swords available, its abilities being "Damage: 1D8 +1, +2 vs. regenerating creatures, +3 vs. cold/fire creatures, +4 vs. undead"

And good luck with your first mod. I'd play it - between the crappy Blade of Roses and overpowered Sola's moonblade there's plenty of ground for new and interesting long swords.

You're right - I don't think I was looking at Flame Tongue's correct description. Heh, that'll show me!

Any +3 weapon available before returning from Bynnlaw (Chapter 6) always makes me a little sad.

Ummm....and this stance, if implemented, would leave parties just how much chance of defeating Dace and the Balor, to say nothing of the Lesser Demon Lord? We don't ALL live by Melf's Minute Meteors, you know. (Although it would be nice if Goldander Blackenrock cast Enchanted Weapon right before he sends you to fight the Balor.)

Whelm if used by a dwarf was/is a WArhmmer+5, dwarven thrower. It gives you claustrophobia, so when used outdoors in daytime you attack at -2, outdoors at night at -1, and only at your full effect indoors or underground. I expect it isn't workable, but the other two are in the game.

Fear of open spaces is agoraphobia, not claustrophobia. The hammer could use an EFF to detect whether the current area is flagged as indoors or outdoors, and apply THAC0 and morale penalties in any map area where you can cast Call Lightning. The day/night difference would be trickier, and likely not worth the trouble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I would weaken only items that are overused, such as Celestial Fury and Azuredge. At the same time I would boost underused items (when's the last time you heard of anyone using Duskblade?), give unique properties to all items with unique names (like the Armor of Deep Night), and probably provide upgrade possibilities for mid-range items (the Wyvern's Tail becomes a +4 enchanted Vorpal weapon usable by Clerics), though the upgrades would probably be a separate mod.

On the subject of average chapter & enchantment relations, I'd say this:

( Non-Warriors / Warriors )

Chapter 1: +0 / +1

Chapter 2: +1 / +2

Chapter 3: +2 / +3

Chapter 4: +3 / +3

Chapter 5: +3 / +4

Chapter 6: +3 / +4

Chapter 7: +3 / +5

Chapter 8: +4 / +5

Chapter 9: +5 / +5

These are the numbers for one-handed weapons, 2-handers would be 1 level of enchantment higher.

I don't mind how Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan seem to have attracted all the most powerfully enchanted weapons from every corner of Toril, since it's no secret that the whole Bhaalspawn crisis is coming to a head, and it's not as if Sarevok's "uncooperative Priest of Cyric" was the only person who knew where the battles would culminate. Adventurers go where the money is, and they take their weapons with them, and only the very best of them would survive until they got the opportunity to die at the party's hands. But I *do* find it more than a little ridiculous that rank-&-file soldiers like we find in the Oasis or Amkethran would be toting generic +3 equipment. I would say +2 at the very most, and that's only because of how powerful the party would be at that point. You can accumulate over a million gold by the final battle from selling all that crap--while it would be an amusing image to kill Amelysan by dropping my money on her, it wouldn't exactly be a satisfying victory. :)

Guest Meddle.
Although it would be nice if Goldander Blackenrock cast Enchanted Weapon right before he sends you to fight the Balor

Or borrow Skullcrusher for the job ;)

The Wyvern's Tail becomes a +4 enchanted Vorpal weapon usable by Clerics

:)

Adventurers go where the money is, and they take their weapons with them, and only the very best of them would survive until they got the opportunity to die at the party's hands

They might use Enchanted Weapon a bit more frequently than the party, the same for Imp Oasis and the like.

Upgrade. Maybe combine coal from Planar Sphere with leather/studded/hide to get fire resistant suit (like Charcoal charm in PS:T).

I would argue for more class or race specific items -- Bows that only elves can use, daggers that only assassins can wield, cloaks that only druids can wear. This set up puts more pressure on character creation and development.

Archived