Ressurections project started

Guest Shard (Moongaze)

Guest Shard (Moongaze)

I have started a project that aims to revive old abandoned NPC mods, and expanding them, with the original author's permission, of course. A bit like Hlid's Mod Ressurections, yeah, though the ones I revive usually aren't in a very outdated format. :)

Currently I have permission to revive and expand Shadow Talon's Xan NPC, and kingkiller's Therrin NPC, both for BGII. Assistance and suggestions are welcome. The forum is located here, graciously provided by Moongaze.

Shard

I hear there's another Xan mod in progress, too. Perhaps if the author makes themselves known you could collaborate, since I think they have already got some stuff written.

You and Moongaze seem to get on quite well.

Guest Shard (Moongaze)
If you're interested in him, I'd like to give you my 'blessing' for Stivan the Hunter (link in the sig) - I may even help you with the coding and/or original concept, but unfortunately writing is my feeble point.

I might take you up on that, bigg. (Or is that THE bigg? :) )

I hear there's another Xan mod in progress, too. Perhaps if the author makes themselves known you could collaborate, since I think they have already got some stuff written.

I agree that would help a little.

You and Moongaze seem to get on quite well.

We do.

Re: Solaufein discussion started over there. I'd suggest alternative Solaufein project with all bells and whistles, and done following Bio's concept rather than trying to add to Weimer's. It's too big and too ooc to make a good candidate for an expansion. Just my two cents.

Re: Solaufein discussion started over there. I'd suggest alternative Solaufein project with all bells and whistles, and done following Bio's concept rather than trying to add to Weimer's. It's too big and too ooc to make a good candidate for an expansion. Just my two cents.

Agreed. I guess expanding on Weimer's just seemed like the easier and less offensive (to all the Weimer Sola fans) way of going about it.

Agreed. I guess expanding on Weimer's just seemed like the easier and less offensive (to all the Weimer Sola fans) way of going about it.

I'm also unclear what you mean. Solaufein has two banters with each NPC, which is actually average-to-high by Bioware standards. He has a modest number of scenery interactions and interjections as well. If you think "more is better," well, that's another story, but I think it's proceeding from a false premise to say that there's nothing to Solaufein v100 than the romance.

I guess I have just always found the Solaufein mod to be a tad...err...boring, compared to others (though I really, really hate to say anything, as my NPC isn't even released yet...). It's also buggy as hell for me, but that's another story.

And personally, despite BioWare's original banter count, 3-5 banters seems more complete to me.

Guest Shard (Moongaze)

Solaufein wasn't my cup o' tea either, but that's just my personal opinion. Domi has a point, I must admit. There are lots of points I don't like about Weimer's take on Solaufein, which is why I should probably create an all-new version of the drow guy. Though if I did that, it wouldn't really be a ressurection anymore, but rather a "Shard Sola". I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Well, good luck, but be wary of making a mistake of taking on too many projects at a time - unless you can do modding full time. Even 'half-made' projects are tough to bring to a satisfying consclusion meeting the current modding character development standard (two to three hundred individual interjection points, 2+ quests, extensive PID's, full friendship sequences).

Guest Shard (Moongaze)
Well, good luck, but be wary of making a mistake of taking on too many projects at a time - unless you can do modding full time. Even 'half-made' projects are tough to bring to a satisfying consclusion meeting the current modding character development standard (two to three hundred individual interjection points, 2+ quests, extensive PID's, full friendship sequences).

I'm not going to do them all at once. Gods no, I would succumb to the pressure. Actually, I have started work on Therrin today, so I guess I'll do that one first. I'm not too concerned about the amount of work. In my opinion, friendships and the like are just extras, not the core of a mod (which I find to be banters and interjections, voicing and portraits). Oh well. Thanks for the advice, Domi. It's appreciated.

Good luck, it's always nice to see another elf, though it's too bad he is a ranger :) For tyhe purpose of that all-elven party, if I count Aerie, and if our mysterious author completes Xan, thief, fighter or bard would be better. And if someone tells me that aren't any elven bards, why, the infamous Salvanas is one.

Guest Shard (Moongaze)

I find rangers to be just as effective as fighters, if not more. Therrin is basically a Stalker who lost the ability to stealth/cast spells/use innates. I guess that makes him weaker than the avarage fighter, what with not being able to master weapons and able to wear only (studded) leather. *grmbl...*

But I agree, there should be more elven NPC's, preferably some of every category. Fighters, thieves, bards, wizards and clerics. *Misses Coran*

If he does not have command of the ranegr's special abilities, I'd suggest making him a fighter instead, so he has the access to the Masteries. Otherwise, you have two disadvantages - a generally weak character and a repetition of an in-game character (Valygar).

Archived