Chase (the guy who threatens to jump

Diana

I cannot remember where I saw it but it was probably 2-3 years ago when people first discussed modding and adding to quests. I dimly remember a thread where you had most of the BG1 NPCs commenting on Chase's threatening to jump. I remember snarky comments by Monty/Xzar and Jaheira/Khalid. Anyone remember where this came from? Might have been the old FWS site but I thought it would be good for inclusion.

In my game the only one commenting was Player1, probably because I didn't have Monty/Xzar at that time. All I can remember from that long ago thread that whoever posted it had nearly every BG1 npc commenting, including Faldorn. Have to see if it shows up somewhere in the SHS archives.

Found it - a post by Blucher back in January 2003.

http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.p...c=1281&hl=chase

It looks to me that it was testing Blucher done on his own, rather than serious texts; they look like the fillers we have when posting the codes. Especially Faldorn's interjection. But I will have Hendryk & Theodur take a look, to see if he had done Xzar and Monty for that/if Theodur wants those ones for Jaheira. :)

Xan has a cool one. Is it yours, Domi, by the way? I adored it.

Thank you, and yes, all interjections for Xan, apart from those you've added will be mine dark works ;)

LOL! That's a pretty good line he had for Jaheira there, I'm almost tempted to ask you add that interjection. :)

Would need a few adjustments to fit Jaheira's pattern of speech, something like: "It is almost a shame the fool did not jump. I find it interesting to witness the natural selection of a species at work."

It looks to me that it was testing Blucher done on his own, rather than serious texts; they look like the fillers we have when posting the codes.

Just wanted to share them as I had enjoyed reading them, especially Monty/Xzar.

If you like it, I will add it, but it looks like too much of a modern reference to me, to be honest, plus I thought Jaheira did not have academic type remarks?

Yeah, it's the age old question of whether the FR druids should make remarks referring to the main thesis of Darwinism. :)

Seriously, though, I have no idea about what theories about the evolution the inahabitants of Faerun have. Do they believe that they are all God's creations, and in polytheism, it would raise a question... which one of the Gods created us? Also, I do believe that some of the long living races, such as the elves, would be able to observe natural selection in action, watching the races with short lifespans evolve and change before their eyes... maybe they have this knowledge and have passed it on to the others. Hmmm...

Anyway, I don't think that the interjection is something that would fall terribly out of the setting, or as some people have put it, 'breaks the immersion'. So, yeah... I think it would look good in the game.

If you like it, I will add it, but it looks like too much of a modern reference to me, to be honest, plus I thought Jaheira did not have academic type remarks?

Yeah, it's the age old question of whether the FR druids should make remarks referring to the main thesis of Darwinism. :)

Seriously, though, I have no idea about what theories about the evolution the inahabitants of Faerun have. [...] Also, I do believe that some of the long living races, such as the elves, would be able to observe natural selection in action, watching the races with short lifespans evolve and change before their eyes... maybe they have this knowledge and have passed it on to the others. Hmmm...

Anyway, I don't think that the interjection is something that would fall terribly out of the setting, or as some people have put it, 'breaks the immersion'. So, yeah... I think it would look good in the game.

Darwin's theory was dependent on empirical observation, not late 19th century technology, which IMO makes it a 'good anachronism'. It could be more anachronistic to use expressions like 'letting off steam', which would be technology dependent. And few if any would react to that expression in the game. The line in question is good and in-character.

Seriously, though, I have no idea about what theories about the evolution the inahabitants of Faerun have. [...] Also, I do believe that some of the long living races, such as the elves, would be able to observe natural selection in action, watching the races with short lifespans evolve and change before their eyes... maybe they have this knowledge and have passed it on to the others. Hmmm...

Darwin's theory was dependent on empirical observation, not late 19th century technology, which IMO makes it a 'good anachronism'. It could be more anachronistic to use expressions like 'letting off steam', which would be technology dependent. And few if any would react to that expression in the game. The line in question is good and in-character.

Would anyone be able to observe evolution in the FR world? Does it happen there? I thought the gods took care of the creation stuff.

[Would anyone be able to observe evolution in the FR world?  Does it happen there?  I thought the gods took care of the creation stuff.

Creation is one thing, interaction over time in a cause and effect chain (= selection) is another. In a way, we are observing nat. sel. in the Realms as humans more and more take over the scene. At least, that argument could be made.

how about she'd say 'the survival of the fittest' or smthg like that?

Something like this, perhaps:

<If he jumps:> Druids sometimes say, that in nature, only the fittest creatures survive. How interesting to see a creature prove that point so eloquently.

<If he does not jump:> Druids sometimes say, that in nature, only the fittest creatures survive. From what I have just seen, I am not so sure anymore.

Archived