[For Eventual Doc Update] Anyone up for testing the return to the inn?

Domi

Hi guys, Dorotea had been woring on the component that allows sending the NPCs to various inns after dismissing them. We'are sort of short on running TUTU installs atm (Oh, my!) so would anyone be able to help her test it?

:)

Found a few things. Will report further as I find more stuff.

First, string #86956 isn't fixed. In the .tp2 it seems to think Jaheira will say "Perhaps it is for the best. I would rather be somewhere else, as you appear to be somewhat of a lost cause. You have some of Gorion's sense, but little of his wisdom. Come, Khalid, there are better places for us than this." but for me it says "Sometimes people do things that make no sense."

I suggest changing all SAY #xyz to SAY ~Actual text.~ since WeiDU will automatically re-use a string that's in the dialog.tlk. You won't have to worry about duplicate strings.

That brings me to the fact that the player can choose an option that actually results in Jaheira and Khalid leaving forever. That seems a bit silly to me, since you're not able to do that in the game already, can you? I want to be able to tell them to stay put, even in a dangerous area, if I want to. Maybe I just want to drop them off for a second while I get another NPC, check out his stats, and tell him to meet me at the Friendly Arm Inn.

Finally, both Jaheira and Khalid use the same words for the same situations, the only difference being Khalid's stutter. That seems a bit odd, too, but it could just be because I read them in the .tp2, not in-game. I'd still prefer they have different dialogue. I might have two or more separate occasions in-game where I kick them from the party, and I might click Jaheira for one, and Khalid for the other time.

Will continue testing.

Thanks Ghrey.

To summarize it:

1. Need custom lines to every npc (uh-huh) tried to get away with little written text. Makes sense, I suppose to slow down and add text - will post all that is written after all is coded and customize each personality.

2. All of the strings 'borrowed' from original game better be added via SAY ~text~. Too bad - hoped to get away with string numbers.

3. Fixed the error with Khalid being called 'Jaheira' in one of the selections. (Copy-pasting is not allways good)

4. About not being able to ask npc to wait in 'danger' areas. Well, you can always send them to the inn from any area, and this being an optional component it is up to the player to install it or not. After all you cannot drop party members in some of the ToB zones either.

PS. I don't share the 'Love the player not the game philosophy' , but rather support the opposite PoV: 'What's the point in a game in which you win all the time?'

But once again - this is an optional component, and if it is not worth for the player to install it they won't.

4. About not being able to ask npc to wait in 'danger' areas. Well, you can always send them to the inn from any area, and this being an optional component it is up to the player to install it or not.

What if there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for dropping an NPC in a dangerous area temporarily, though? Sending them back to an inn--which could possibly be (nearly) inaccessible at the time--when all you want to do is drop them off could be irritating. Why change the irritation of being unable to send them to an inn with the irritation of being unable to send them anywhere but an inn?

After all you cannot drop party members in some of the ToB zones either.

I can't recall which areas those are, but I'm in favour of allowing the player more options, not less. Dropping them off, only to have them die in Saradush/drown in the Cloakwood mines, is part of being a leader. Or something. Heh.

PS. I don't share the 'Love the player not the game philosophy' , but rather support the opposite PoV: 'What's the point in a game in which you win all the time?'

I agree with you to some extent. If one of my NPCs is dead beyond resurrection (chunked, fireballed, lightning-bolted, disintegrated, etc.) I don't reload, but deal with the consequences. I'm not so sure a convenience feature like this should have consequences on the rest of the game. Like NPCs running off with my suit of ankheg plate just because I wanted them to stand around for five minutes while I "freed" Skie from the clutches of her father.

Hello there,

;)

What if there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for dropping an NPC in a dangerous area temporarily, though?  Sending them back to an inn--which could possibly be (nearly) inaccessible at the time--when all you want to do is drop them off could be irritating.  Why change the irritation of being unable to send them to an inn with the irritation of being unable to send them anywhere but an inn?

Hmm, really, the option to drop an npc will be left available on nearly 2/3 of the areas. And the areas I marked as 'dangerous' usually have an exit to the 'safe' ones, where the npc could be dropped. It is not like I am trying to make the player's life difficult - just adding another role-playing aspect.

I agree with you to some extent.  If one of my NPCs is dead beyond resurrection (chunked, fireballed, lightning-bolted, disintegrated, etc.) I don't reload, but deal with the consequences.  I'm not so sure a convenience feature like this should have consequences on the rest of the game.  Like NPCs running off with my suit of ankheg plate just because I wanted them to stand around for five minutes while I "freed" Skie from the clutches of her father.

Worry not - this area is left 'droppable'. But I think that your npc should have reasonable doubts about being left on the Polar Isle or in the mine about to be flooded.

And there is never a danger of npc running away with your items - you can always ask them to stay using dialog option - strip them off the valuable items and then release - either to an inn or say farewell - this is basically for roleplaying evil characters.

Once again - it is an optional component, and it aims to both enhance the roleplaying aspect ( by making npc's more 'intelligent', if you will) and by giving the player the ability to easier rotate npcs in the party.

PC has 4 choices always after their npc refuses to stay in the danger zone:

1. Ask npc to stay with the group.

2. Send them to Baldurs Gate area inn. ( after chapter 4)

3. Send them to Sword Coast general area inn.

4. Dismiss forever.

I think it is fair enough.

By the way - I just finished writing and coding this component for all BG1 npc's (yikes! :) ) If you are interested - in the Work room the new download is posted. All npcs now have custom lines - with small variations.

Very impressive work! Feels like I'm playing BG2 now :O I tested it out in a few areas. I like how they won't agree to stay in the Cloakwood mines (Could be a problem for a player who doesn't pay attention, or just for the sake of getting the char. out of there to be replaced by a new NPC). Does Yes get killed if you leave him there?

I noticed Imoen goes to the 2nd floor of the FIA. Might be handy to mention where abouts they are going if you're going to use both floors, but that's just my gamer laziness talking. I thought I lost her for a minute :)

One other thing...

I'm not sure if you intended it to be the case, but I noticed that Viconia (being unhappy with my 18 reputation) exhibits her normal behavior and disappears (I'm believe she vanishes from the game, no?). I could understand her not wanting to stick around for your party if you have a high rep., but personally I think she should at least go somewhere.

Hello there,

:O

What if there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for dropping an NPC in a dangerous area temporarily, though?  Sending them back to an inn--which could possibly be (nearly) inaccessible at the time--when all you want to do is drop them off could be irritating.  Why change the irritation of being unable to send them to an inn with the irritation of being unable to send them anywhere but an inn?

Hmm, really, the option to drop an npc will be left available on nearly 2/3 of the areas. And the areas I marked as 'dangerous' usually have an exit to the 'safe' ones, where the npc could be dropped. It is not like I am trying to make the player's life difficult - just adding another role-playing aspect.

I agree with you to some extent.  If one of my NPCs is dead beyond resurrection (chunked, fireballed, lightning-bolted, disintegrated, etc.) I don't reload, but deal with the consequences.  I'm not so sure a convenience feature like this should have consequences on the rest of the game.  Like NPCs running off with my suit of ankheg plate just because I wanted them to stand around for five minutes while I "freed" Skie from the clutches of her father.

Worry not - this area is left 'droppable'. But I think that your npc should have reasonable doubts about being left on the Polar Isle or in the mine about to be flooded.

And there is never a danger of npc running away with your items - you can always ask them to stay using dialog option - strip them off the valuable items and then release - either to an inn or say farewell - this is basically for roleplaying evil characters.

Once again - it is an optional component, and it aims to both enhance the roleplaying aspect ( by making npc's more 'intelligent', if you will) and by giving the player the ability to easier rotate npcs in the party.

PC has 4 choices always after their npc refuses to stay in the danger zone:

1. Ask npc to stay with the group.

2. Send them to Baldurs Gate area inn. ( after chapter 4)

3. Send them to Sword Coast general area inn.

4. Dismiss forever.

I think it is fair enough.

By the way - I just finished writing and coding this component for all BG1 npc's (yikes! :) ) If you are interested - in the Work room the new download is posted. All npcs now have custom lines - with small variations.

Different npcs go to different floors indeed ( this is also true for Elfsong). Immy, Xan, Kivan, Yeslick go to the second floor of the FA. Jae-Khalid, Minsc-Dyna , Eldoth-Skie pairs go to the 2 nd floor in EFS. Evil ones go to different inns (Mermaid, Lantern, Belching Dragon). The problem with Vicky is related to your reputation - I can easily put a fix for all npcs that would make them stay or go to inns. If you were good , er bad she would have offered to wait in the cave on the Nashker road. I did it for my own game ( no leave fix), but this was always in the BG1 game if you remember. If npc is unhappy and you try to ask them to wait - they leave you.

Yeah, I remember that it's the way the game normally works, but personally I think in the evil NPC in good party (or v.v.) case you should at least get some warning where you can find the char later although expecting them to wait around for you might be a little unreasonable. Basically, I was curious if you thought that should be part of your mod (perhaps as an option?).

Guest Rune Darkfire

Sorry to ressurrect this thread, but I'm looking for some information / code on this particular piece of the project. Specifically, I forgot to write down so long ago where I dumped Minsc, and now I'm trying to get him back :-). It was before Chapter 5, so I would have told him to "meet me somewhere on the Sword Coast", but I can't remember where, it was so long ago :-(.

Does anyone know where Minsc went? Thanks for all your help.

Yeah, I remember that it's the way the game normally works, but personally I think in the evil NPC in good party (or v.v.) case you should at least get some warning where you can find the char later although expecting them to wait around for you might be a little unreasonable. Basically, I was curious if you thought that should be part of your mod (perhaps as an option?).

Archived