Xan's romance won't start

Guest Carrot

Hello everyone

Well, everything should be fine with my half-elven bard, and Xan keeps merrily (well as merry as he can be) chattering along with the other NPCs, but even after setting the speed of his talks to 15 minutes and playing for what seemed to be eternity, he doesn't talk to my PC. :)

I don't have Coran and Ajantis in my party, so I can't tell whether there's the same problem with them. Player-initiated dialogues work.

I've installed BG1+patch, tutu v4 and tutufixpack v15, and of course the NPC Project (v11). No TotSC.

I'll be very glad if anyone can tell me how to fix this...? =)

First Xan's lovetalk triggers right after you exit the mines, either by the main or the secret entrance.

It is possible that you have recruited him *before* installing BG1 NPC project. If you have an appropriate save(or just start a new game), try again, it should work.

Another thing is that you might have had a lovetalk and chosen a "rude" option.

I tried picking him up again, and he doesn't talk when I leave the mines. I also tried to push him to by CLUAConsole, but he won't to speak to me...

I also tried reinstalling tutu and the NPC Project, but to no effect. Is there any point in having a whole new install? (BG1, 2 and mods?)

No, no, of course not. If you installed BG1 NPC, and Xan's Romance as a component, it should work, as long as you pick him up after the installation. Female half-elven PC should trigger the romance.

If you're using console, could you tell me the values of the following variables?

X#XANMatch

X#XALoveTalk

X#XARomanceInactive

X#XARomanceActive

Hm... either I mixed up codes or something is terribly wrong with the install. I *should* get the values by entering

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XANMatch","GLOBAL")

, right? I do hope this is wrong - because I get "GLOBALDoes not exist" for each of the four.

Yep, you probably messed with the install.

I recommend you to do the following:

1) Uninstall BG1 NPC project fully

2) Install it again, choosing the components you wish to install.

Make sure you installed Xan's romance with the timer you need.

3) Start a new game.

Do I need to pick up Xan before the values exist? o_O If not it's still broken.

I had an error in the installation of phase II, but none in xan's romance components.

Alright, thanks a lot. So there's still hope... :)

The error was this:

ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'

Resource [_BAYARD.DLG] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [bG1NPC/Phase2/DLG/X#VIINT.d]: Failure("resource [_BAYARD.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [The BG1 NPC Project for BG1 Tutu: Phase II (Quests and Interjections)], rolling back to previous state

[bG1NPC/backup/2/UNSETSTR.2] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

[bG1NPC/backup/2/UNINSTALL.2] loaded, 7618 bytes

Will uninstall 368 files for [bG1NPC.TP2] component 2.

Right, I don't have TotSC installed - I own the German version only, which kept crashing dialog.tlk when I put it together with tutu.

So I'll go through your instuctions... thank you very much, again, I'm optimistic it's going to work then. ;)

(If not, you'll hear of me... :) I'm a whine by nature.)

Archived