The Original Viconia Relationship thread...

Furthermore, The Fighter Stronghold quest is also based on a false assumption that Nalia would not be able to inherit her father's title or rule his lands just because she's female!

Amn is not one of those exception alluded to in the above quote... In fact, the quest would have been more believable if somehow Nalia would stand to loose her father's title and property because she no longer had the wealth to sustain it.

My take on this has always been that Nalia is in danger of losing her inheritance because she has neither the strength of arms or the social standing/political connections to back out of an arranged marriage. I chalk that up to two factors: her youth and her antagonistic attitude to nobility. She doesn't get along with few (if any) of the nobles in the game, so why would they support her in a feud with the Roenalls? IMHO there's nothing in her story that suggests it is because she's female.

Heya,

Many of Faerun's most powerful heroes are women. Some societies observe strict codes of gender conduct (some matriarchal, not patriarchal), but this is not the case in most of Faerun.

Hmm. Well, thanks for sharing. But it wasn't baseless. :D

It is, however, your mod and your decision. :D

Maybe it's not entirely baseless, but the strong implication is that areas where there are strict codes of gender conduct are rare. Rasheman is one place, but that's waaaaay over the other side of the continent to the Sword Coast (and it's matriarchal). The majority of Viconia's surface travels have been through the North and the Western Heartlands...

The key word in the part you quoted is some.

The most important part of the quote, you left out...

"The Heartlands of Faerun are generally enlightened and liberal regarding gender roles. Women are as free as men to own property, run businesses, and run off to become adventurers."

(I don't really intend to make this a big thing, you know, even if it looks like it. :D)

Heya,

My take on this has always been that Nalia is in danger of losing her inheritance because she has neither the strength of arms or the social standing/political connections to back out of an arranged marriage. I chalk that up to two factors: her  youth and her antagonistic attitude to nobility. She doesn't get along with few (if any) of the nobles in the game, so why would they support her in a feud with the Roenalls? IMHO there's nothing in her story that suggests it is because she's female.

Blah, I should learn to read before letting my fingers go on the keyboard. :D I'm still unsure of some bits though. It sounds like the Roenalls arranged the marriage because their own wealth was dwindling. Unfortunately in Amn, that would mean their power would dwindle as well. So they should have had no real leverage over Lord de'Arnise... But this is completely unrelated to Viconia, so I'll drop this now... I've waffled on enough. :D

Okay, I'll shut-up after this (about this anyway) :D

I quoted "some" because it can be used to support either arguement (and if they can be heroes than what's better than that? :D).

I agree it's not (or, at least, it doesn't have to be) an important part which is why I chose to try and corner you in an e-mail about it. :D

Juhani is a wonderful example of a gay character in a game that isn't overdone. I would definitely like to emulate her romance with whatever I end up writing for Viconia - I don't want to make it into a song and dance affair "look at me, I'm bi, I'm Bi, I'm BI!"

This is my first post on this or any other subject on G3, and I haven't read this whole thread yet, but let me just say, I completely support this idea, and as far as Juhani goes, damned right, I think hers was possibly the best written romance, regardless of gender preference, I've played in any RPG bar none.

Archived