GemRB w/ original game

Guest riccardo_m

Guest riccardo_m

Hi there,

I've read thing here and there about GemRB and I have a question:

Is it possible to run/test GemRB without the original game?

As far as I have understood the answer is no. If this is the case are there any plans for this project to become "Bioware Independent" ?

thanks

I'm not speaking about the quest problem... I'm speaking about the fact that GemRB seems to be dependent from Baldur's Gate (or similar) for the graphics (characters, items, creatures, maps, spells, etc). Am I wrong?

I'm not speaking about the quest problem... I'm speaking about the fact that GemRB seems to be dependent from Baldur's Gate (or similar) for the graphics (characters, items, creatures, maps, spells, etc). Am I wrong?
AFAIK you are right - gemRB is just an engine without content. It is not another game. And you can get this content from existing game (BG,...) or some total conversion that provide those resources.

You are almost right, except that i plan to make a glory of istar version which could be played without ownership of bg2/tob.

And, this dataset WILL be incompatible with the original engine.

This will let us (me) implement some planned but failed features which the original engine didn't let us do.

Archived