NearLocation() Question

FredSRichardson

Here's the prototype I saw in IESDP (just for reference):

0x40A9 NearLocation(O:Object*,I:PointX*,I:PointY*,I:Range*)

I was just wondering if anyone knows how this trigger works. I decompiled a script with WeiDU and saw it used in this context:

IF
 See("1000_Goblin_06",0)  // 1000_Goblin_06
 NearLocation(LastSeenBy(Myself),-2,-2,9)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
   EquipWeapon()
   AttackOneRound(LastMarkedObject)
END

I was wondering about the negative numbers used here. Doesn't seem like it could be an absolute location, could it be relative to "Myself"? I'm just curious is all :O:D

Here's the prototype I saw in IESDP (just for reference):

0x40A9 NearLocation(O:Object*,I:PointX*,I:PointY*,I:Range*)

I was just wondering if anyone knows how this trigger works.  I decompiled a script with WeiDU and saw it used in this context:

IF
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
   EquipWeapon()
END

I was wondering about the negative numbers used here.  Doesn't seem like it could be an absolute location, could it be relative to "Myself"?  I'm just curious is all  :O:D

Curious, i wonder why it isn't simply a Range(LastSeenBy(Myself),9,LESS_THAN)

Here's the prototype I saw in
IF
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
   EquipWeapon()
END

Curious, i wonder why it isn't simply a Range(LastSeenBy(Myself),9,LESS_THAN)

Any idea about those negative indexes to NearLocation? Is this going to mean something like "within 9 of the upper right hand corner of the map"?

Negative numbers should indicate a location relative to the object running the script (I guess; in normal IE, this is usually the effect, but it depends on which object and which call). -2.-2 would be a location to the upper-left of the object (+2 north, +2 west, unless it goes in the other direction for some reason). As Avenger says, without context, there's no way to know what exactly they're trying to accomplish by checking if LastSeenBy() is 9 feet away from the point a few feet away from the active object.

Shit like this happens when you let engine programmers do technical design.

Okay, thanks! I was thinking that negative numbers must mean realtive postition but wasn't sure. From looking at the script, it looks like this is used as a way to keep the Actor from attacking an enemy unless the enemy is pretty close. It does seem like Range() would have made a lot more sense than NearLocation in this instance (but perhaps there's a subtle difference?)

Archived