On BG1 Setting

SimDing0

It's mostly for me, I guess (and, well Domi seems to have taken a keen interest in it too). The mods I make are generally designed to suit m best (though, yeah, appealing to other people is a good plan too).

Don't let the naysayers discourage you. :)

I think this is a great idea for an NPC. Planescape is my favorite setting, and I really don't see any problems introcing a githzerai to the Realms. In PS, gith (both -zerai and -yanki) have always been viable races for even low-level adventuring (for doubters, see the 2nd Ed. Planescape boxed set Player's Guide to the Planes and the Guide to the Astral Plane).

Looking forward to seeing this!

Hey, I remember seeing your name when I was new at FWP a years ago. :)

Thanks for the encouragement--the quest is tested and fully working, and the coded dialogues have been proof-read. I've not done banters or interjections yet due to a lack of time. I really just need voicing to make it playable, though.

I think Grim Squeaker was going to do voicing, but then we both got distracted. Perhap I should ask him about it again... I want Eranon to sound vaguely somber and quite adult, though ideally not a Dak'kon clone.

On the one hand, I also think introducing a lot of planar material into BG1 compromises the setting a tiny bit. For me, one of the great joys of BG1 is slowly coming to grips with the reality of the Realms with your character.

However, characters like Viconia show that a tiny bit of unusualness is fascinating, as long as it is low-key. As someone mentioned, big fat demons should be saved for rare occasions in a FR setting.

Nevertheless, I'm a *huge* Planescape fan, and Eranon looks like a promising character. Githzerai are fascinating, and as long as the quests involve no huge planar invasions (I'm sure they won't), but just the reality of a wayward low-level githzerai that (probably) no one cares a lot about, I say it's only a great addition to the BG1 experience.

Too bad the project seems to be at an apparent standstill - to me this is one of the most interesting unfinished NPC projects. If I can help out in any basic way (proofreading?) let me know.

To add to the discussion, planar material in a BG1 setting is less far-fetched than one might think:

The sages of Candlekeep have sufficient evidence to indicate at least one gate exists in the wood [Cloakwood], but the exact numbers and/or destination of these gates is unknown. They may lead to other parts of the Realms, to an alternate Prime Material Plane where such creatures as are found in the wood are common or to the outer planes to the Beastlands (Happy Hunting Grounds). Few who have investigated the matter have returned to report on it.

[from: Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood. A Grand Tour of Realms (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd Edition). p. 90]

So, who knows where Eranon might have come from???

To add to the discussion, planar material in a BG1 setting is less far-fetched than one might think:

The sages of Candlekeep have sufficient evidence to indicate at least one gate exists in the wood [Cloakwood], but the exact numbers and/or destination of these gates is unknown. They may lead to other parts of the Realms, to an alternate Prime Material Plane where such creatures as are found in the wood are common or to the outer planes to the Beastlands (Happy Hunting Grounds). Few who have investigated the matter have returned to report on it.

[from: Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood. A Grand Tour of Realms (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd Edition). p. 90]

So, who knows where Eranon might have come from???

Interesting quote. It didn't seem in the least farfetched to me before anyway. I hope we'll be able to play this mod one day in the not too distant future so we can find out where Eranon comes from.

Archived