New Kit for Elven Fighter/Mages: Bladesinger

St_Vitruvius

Just curious... I didn't read the whole history, but how did you assign a kit to a multiclass?

Essentially, I did the same as in TDD: At first level you gain an ability giving some bonuses, e.g. +1 to hit and damage, +2 casting speed ect., and that calls a script changing his class.

I actually create a Fighter Kit, but by using this srcipt I can create a multiclass character, where one of the classes have a kit..

Some racially based kits could be good stuff to have available, particularly for underused races (i.e. the short ones), but things for elves, half-elves and half-orcs could be interesting too.

Is there a reason Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings are so little used?

For kits for Elves I was thinking:

Fighter/Mage : Bladesinger (Complete Book of Elves)

Fighter : Elven Knight (Elves of Evermeet) if player prefers swords

Fighter : Elven or Arcane Archer if player prefers bows

Cleric : Faywarden - Speciality Priest of Corellon Larethian (Demihuman Deities)

Ranger : Not sure

Wizard : Thought of High Mage (Elves of Evermeet), but it will be too overpowerting, I guess, and wouldn't do the fluff any good

Other classes and multiclasses: not sure

Any ideas for other races?

Is there a reason Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings are so little used?

I think in a lot of cases people don't like to view themselves as weak, small, ugly or grumpy, which are often percieved traits of these races. One thing that you may have noticed in 3rd Edition D&D is the removal of the rotund halfling for a type more resembling those found in the Dark Sun setting.

But for the shorter races, kits from their 2nd Edition handbooks could be interesting additions... I'd have to get my books and have a look through them to remember more specifically, But for halflings, there's the Burglar or Outlaw kit, for Gnomes, there's a Tunnel Fighter, for Dwarves there's a Vermin (orc) Killer, as well as the ever popular Battlerager.

Cleric : Faywarden - Speciality Priest of Corellon Larethian (Demihuman Deities)
Did you know there is already a Feywarden in Divine Remix? It's a bit different from yours, but same idea. That's one of the few race-based kits I know of (there's an Orcish Scout and maybe a couple others). Though they were talking about adding more demihuman cleric kits in Divine Remix, but I don't know when they'll get around to it.

There is also a Burglar in Song & Silence, though it's not race-restricted.

I do like the idea of completing quests to obtain certain kits (rather than being able to choose them at creation).

Howdy St_Vitruvius,

I would like to try out your new mod, but is it just me or is your Elven Package download .rar missing some install files (I have downloaded it several times to two different PC's, both equaling 4.12MB in size)?

Thank you,

LoneRogue

I've encountered a bug.. I've assigned an AC-bonus of -1 at level 1, 7, 13..

I've played with a 19-dex character.. In the beginning of the game his AC should then be: -4 Dex, -2 AC bonus = 4.. instead it's -6!

Now I level him up and gets and 13th level gets another -2!

Now I try to import the character in a new game to see if it calculates the AC wrong and a recalc. will fix it.. Now his AC is -10!

EDIT: The character I've been playing with is now a 10th level Bladesinger/ 11th level Mage.. He has 2x Singe Weapon Style and a ring of protection +1.. when I strip him of items his AC is 6..

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong?

I've played with a 19-dex character.. In the beginning of the game his AC should then be: -4 Dex, -2 AC bonus = 4.. instead it's -6!
I'm not a math wiz or anything, but -4 + -2 = -6, right? :p
Now I level him up and gets and 13th level gets another -2!
Your srac.spl at 1, 7, 13 etc. is actually -2 each time you apply it (I guess you want it to be -1?). :p
Now I try to import the character in a new game to see if it calculates the AC wrong and a recalc. will fix it.. Now his AC is -10!
That sounds like some sort of loop to me. Probably when you export the char, he gets that base AC and when you reimport him, he gets the bonuses applied again (just guessing here).
The character I've been playing with is now a 10th level Bladesinger/ 11th level Mage.. He has 2x Singe Weapon Style and a ring of protection +1.. when I strip him of items his AC is 6..
You got me there. Unless his AC got so low it got bugged somehow and shat itself (base AC = 10, 19 dex bonus -4 would make it 6).
I'm not a math wiz or anything, but -4 + -2 = -6, right? :p

His AC should have been: Base (10) - Dex (4) - bonus (2) = 4.. His

Your srac.spl at 1, 7, 13 etc. is actually -2 each time you apply it (I guess you want it to be -1?). :p

That sounds like some sort of loop to me. Probably when you export the char, he gets that base AC and when you reimport him, he gets the bonuses applied again (just guessing here).

You got me there. Unless his AC got so low it got bugged somehow and shat itself (base AC = 10, 19 dex bonus -4 would make it 6).

It might be a loop.. maybe the the game sees the AddKit() not as a reenstatemen of the kit, but as another kit applied simultaneously to the one allready on the Fighter Class.. -.-

His AC should have been: Base (10) - Dex (4) - bonus (2) = 4.. His
Ok I get it... so it was -6 base instead of 4? Also I think the rest of your reply got cut off there...
It might be a loop.. maybe the the game sees the AddKit() not as a reenstatemen of the kit, but as another kit applied simultaneously to the one allready on the Fighter Class..
I know very little about kit modding but it's a possibility... :p

Well I looked at the code, but as I said, kit code is like Tocharian A to me. Just wondering about this though:

// HLA table; see LAUBBR.2da - The file detailing High Level Abilities
~FM0~

What's this do? I don't see LAUBBR.2da anywhere, either in your mod or base BG2.

Edit: Nevermind, it's LUABBR. :p

This mod is potentially a great idea and would add a nice flavor (in spite of perhaps some RP weirdness which many people are willing to overlook, I'm sure- i.e. where is the required bladesinger tutor/trainer? It's unlikely he would have learned this from Gorion; perhaps there could be an experienced elven bladesinger NPC in candlekeep added to take care of this and add more flavor?). I would look forward to these bugs being fixed sometime soon.

What I've been working on was to locate him in Suldanesselar after returning from Hell. That would be the logical place, fluff-wise, to place him.

The problem is then, that I have to make a lot of changes in a non destructive manner, as to not interfere with other mods. In Suldanesselar there are a lot of monsters I have to make dissapear, I have to change every npc's dialogue, I have to put Ellesime ect. back in the (correct) Temple of Rilifane. In short: A lot of things that could potentially mess up with other mods.

It could be a solution, to put, not one, but many, tutors around the world map and make a longer quest in where you have to prove yourself wothy of the kits. The final tutor would then be available after returning the Lanthorn to Elhan.

I've not been able to do much work over the last ~year due to my studies at the university.. I should get more time in the next couple of months.

Archived