Granting/Equipping unmoveable items...

Grim Squeaker

Ok, here's the situation. I want an NPC to be given an item (an amulet) that they immediately equip and can't remove. I'd have thought I could do it buy GiveItemCreate()ing an unmoveable object and then using EquipItem(), however, EquipItem() doesn't work properly.

Can anyone think of a better solution than my current horrific fallback plan of starting them with an unremoveable amulet (for no real reason) and then TakeItemReplace() it with the new one. This plan sucks A LOT.

Right, I've found I can use a spell effect 'Create Item in Slot' to create my new item directly into amulet inventory slot. Now I just need to unequip their old amulet (if any), moving it back into their inventory. Gah...

Edit: I'm assuming 'Create Item in Slot' overwrites whatever is currently in the that slot.

Isn't there a facility to make a character drop an item though? When you get feared or fail a morale test, there is a chance you can drop an item then. I even recall losing my armour once through that. Alright, so you drop it on the ground, but it preserves the item.

You may not like this solution, but you could always make the item cursed and only useable by the NPC. Yeah, you'd have to give him the amulet yourself, but if it's beneficial why wouldn't you?

Archived