Will having Aerie in party spoil romance?

I'm wondering if having Aerie in my party will mess up my chances of romancing Kivan. I read that you need her or Cernd for having Deheriana, but will having one or both of them in my party keep her from dying? I think I want to romance Kivan. I don't want to ruin things and I'm at the point of building up my party's XP. But maybe I don't need Aerie or Cernd to trigger the romance? I'm a little confused on that point. I'm sorry if I just missed the answer somewhere. :down:

You might wat to wait for Domi's official answer, but I don't think simply having Aerie around is going to mess things up for your romancing of Kivan. But I reckon if his wife enters the picture, you're going to find his enthusuasm for you suddenly reduced. :down:

SPOILER

If you want to romance Kivan, you simply have to say nice things to him all the time, and then, when you go to Spellhold, you'll have to talk to Aphril. If you've been nice enough, you'll find out that Deheriana is dead permanently, and has no afterlife whatsoever. She became dust.

So, metagaming-wise, it is your choice to flirt with Kivan that kills Deheriana. Whether it is cruel or evil is for you to decide. :down:

Aerie's presence is irrelevant here.

So, metagaming-wise, it is your choice to flirt with Kivan that kills Deheriana. Whether it is cruel or evil is for you to decide.

Heh, it's just a mechanism for me to determine if a player wants to romance Kivan or not. As far as the game is concerned Deheraiana's death had happened independently of PC's feelings long time ago, it is just Kivan was unaware of it.

Minarvia, did you check out the ReadMe? If you did and the ways to trigger the romance still was unclear, I will take a look at it for the next edition, to make sure that it is well covered. :down:

So, metagaming-wise, it is your choice to flirt with Kivan that kills Deheriana. Whether it is cruel or evil is for you to decide.

Heh, it's just a mechanism for me to determine if a player wants to romance Kivan or not. As far as the game is concerned Deheraiana's death had happened independently of PC's feelings long time ago, it is just Kivan was unaware of it.

Minarvia, did you check out the ReadMe? If you did and the ways to trigger the romance still was unclear, I will take a look at it for the next edition, to make sure that it is well covered. :down:

Yes, Domi, I did check the Readme. I may be just dumb these days. It seems to me that I've done all the right things; I am very nice to Kivan, have a high charisma, and we talked with Aphril. Aphril only said that Deheriana was missing Kivan and with him. She said nothing about her being dead permenently. Tsujatha was in my party at the time, but the "romance" was not far along at all and no other romantic candidate for Charname is even in my party. So at this time, I'm still unsure how things will go at the Elven City. I was going to skip Windspear, but now I don't know if it matters or not if my romance with Kivan is in the proverbial toilet! Spending more time before the Elven City probably won't make any difference. Sigh...I'll just play a bit longer and see! I haven't done Bodhi 2nd time yet, either.

Sigh...not going well, I think. Deheriana is with my party now and she isn't dying. At the Tree of Life she was willing, Kivan referred to me as his friend, I believe, but I did not go on at that point, fearing my romantic hopes are over. I wonder if I chose the wrong response to Demin. I think Deheriana may also die at Ellisemes speech, so maybe this game will be okay. I don't know. I'm leaving it alone for now. It doesn't feel promising, tho. I got rid of Aerie and Cernd, too.

I'm starting a new game and I'll make numerous saves at various points in the game. I hope things go right. I need a mage, tho. I'm a bounty hunter, is that okay? I didn't see where Kivan won't romance one. I'm CG with a 18 charisma.

Sigh...not going well, I think. Deheriana is with my party now and she isn't dying.

:down::devil::down:

("Why, oh, why is she still alive? Grrrr! Now, let's try CO...")

Sorry. :) And no, she is not going to die now.

Tsujatha spoiled the things for you here, I'm afraid: when his romance is active, KivanLove goes down, so when you talked to Aphril, it was too low, and Deheriana became alive instead. You're not alone, though: I played with Kivan-SoA three times in total, twice trying to be as nice as possible, but I had to cheat the variable in the end. So, if you want Kivan to love you, you

1) have to be very-very-very nice;

2) dump Anomen, Kelsey, and other romanceable characters - just having them in the party with a suitable female PC will spoil your chances with Kivan.

EDIT: With Xan, you may still get your romance with Kivan, if you choose the friendship path. Then you're safe. Romantic path with Xan, however, will kill KivanLove.

Tsujatha spoiled the things for you here, I'm afraid: when his romance is active, KivanLove goes down, so when you talked to Aphril, it was too low, and Deheriana became alive instead. You're not alone, though: I played with Kivan-SoA three times in total, twice trying to be as nice as possible, but I had to cheat the variable in the end. So, if you want Kivan to love you, you

1) have to be very-very-very nice;

2) dump Anomen, Kelsey, and other romanceable characters - just having them in the party with a suitable female PC will spoil your chances with Kivan.

EDIT: With Xan, you may still get your romance with Kivan, if you choose the friendship path. Then you're safe. Romantic path with Xan, however, will kill KivanLove.

Thanks so much! :devil: That really helps. No wonder I'm having trouble. Well...new game. I have NO romantic interests and for a cool mage I just Cntl-y'd that Wolfmoon sorcerer (came with some small mod) instead. Now I should be good... :down: Before I didn't kill off Tsujatha soon enough...

Well, I won't be having THAT problem anymore. Thanks again!

Actually, you don't have to *dump* the romanceable characters as in never have them in the party. You just have to make sure that their romance is inactivated while it's still in the early stage. Going from non-commited romance to inactive romance rises the P#KivanLove index by the exact number of points you lost when the romance was detected. If, however, the romance went to commited, while you will get a few points back, it will be very difficult to up the Global sufficiently.

But yes, most of it depends how you act with Kivan. It is possible to have RA in teens even if another RA of 1. It helps, for example, to use one of the player-initiated dialogue options when you just meet him, and either start up the BG1 cycle that lets you to collect some points, or chose "warmer" option on the "I remeber everything" side. And, yes, the sincere options that strongly suggest that Player is in love with Kivan are the ones that rise the index.

Once Aphril said you that Deheriana is alive, you will not be able to romance Kivan. Even if Deheriana dies later on or is never ressurected. I sort of planned a different romance path if she died, but it was too difficult to fit into what 5 minutes of SoA there was left, and ToB romance is now compatible with the SoA path I currently have.

Hmmm...well, I was pretty sure I did all the "warm" responses. I ended the romance with Tsu before it was committed, definately. And still I got the alive Deheriana. Am I playing too fast? I try to take my time, but I know the game so wel that I still go fast, I guess. And I don't want to wait forever before Spellhold. I like to get Immy back somewhere in the middle of my game. Could that be the problem? Is there some sort of dialog that Kivan says that I should watch for that will let me know when I can go to Spellhold?

Thanks for the quick response, Domi! And thanks to everyone for your help. I really want to be successful in this! :down:

Basically you can go to Spellhold as soon as your P#KivanLove Global is at least 3. How many dialogues you need to accumulate it, varies depending on the responces you give. Basically, you can gain one from PID immediately. Some dialogues have the variable increasing options, some do not. Because at least half of the dialogues in the mod are event-related, rather than timered, it should not matter when you go to Spellhold as long as you hit the magic 3. You will see these dialogues once things happen and rise the P#KivanLove further. The only chapter dependent stuff iirc is the 5 dialogues of the catching-up cycle. You can check the SoA list of content for the conditions for the dialogues to occur.

Hi Minarvia, PID is the player-initiated dialogues, usually used for flirting with an NPC. Basically, what I think I will do, seeing that you are the second person to report having problems with collecting enough points, I will add one more option, that will stay there as long as you do NOT have enough points, and will add 3 points if you chose it. It will relieve the "hunting for the right answer" before Spellhold thinggy.

Hi Minarvia, PID is the player-initiated dialogues, usually used for flirting with an NPC. Basically, what I think I will do, seeing that you are the second person to report having problems with collecting enough points, I will add one more option, that will stay there as long as you do NOT have enough points, and will add 3 points if you chose it. It will relieve the "hunting for the right answer" before Spellhold thinggy.

Oh, thank you! I'm doing all sorts of quests and am now tarrying in the Temple Ruins. I am pretty sure I don't have enough points yet. Thanks!!! :down:

Archived