Larok the NPC

Troll

I've started a new NPC, based on the orc portrait that comes with the game. I always thought that that portrait needed a character, so I made Larok. I also thought that although every stronghold quest has an NPC linked to it, except the Paladin/Firkraag quest. So Larok can be found during that quest. Ok so I need help.

1) I've got him on the area I want him, but too things screw up. He has a green ring around him, so creatures attack him. How do I make that a nuetral blue ring? Also, I've used the 'shout' script in the override in Near Infinity and it works, but once you get out of the convo, he just keeps initiating the dialogue! He keeps shouting, like he's Noober or something! How do I fix that?

2) What code do I use in the dialogue that will make him join the party?

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Accept

SAY ~Wizards don't scare me. They're too predictable, too orderly. It's the wild the scares me. I'll do whatever I can to help you find your friend. Come then, we have quarry to hunt!~ DO ~SetGlobal("LarokJoined","LOCALS",1)

JoinParty()~ EXIT

This is what it keeps rejecting. It is fine with the dialogue, but rejects the joining line. What is wrong with it?

You need an END after it to signify the end of the state. Like this:

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Accept
SAY ~Wizards don't scare me. They're too predictable, too orderly. It's the wild the scares me. I'll do whatever I can to help you find your friend. Come then, we have quarry to hunt!~ DO ~SetGlobal("LarokJoined","LOCALS",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
END

Hope this helps...

Change it to this: (However, I'm not sure if it will solve your problem)

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Accept
SAY ~Wizards don't scare me. They're too predictable, too orderly. It's the wild the scares me. I'll do whatever I can to help you find your friend. Come then, we have quarry to hunt!~ 
IF ~~ DO ~SetGlobal("LarokJoined","GLOBAL",1)
JoinParty()~ EXIT
END

Let me know if it works!

Thanks for the help everyone. I've done with items, initial dialogue and the .cre, I'm on to my favourite part. Banters! Tell me what you think of Larok.

You meet Larok in the Windspear Hills, thinking he is another illusion, because he looks like an orc but speaks eloquently. Hereveals, however, that he is a half-orc and that he speaks eloquently because he was raised in Byrn Shander after being seperated from his Uthgardt tribe (hence his Barbarian class). He is a beast-hunter, hired by villages and the like to keep back the tide of monsters, selling the mystical or valuable hides to wizards and merchants. He is Lawful Nuetral and is all about order. He hates the wild, even though it is his sole source of income. He thinks it is too chaotic, too savage and that strong borders of civilization are more important than anything. So he hunts not only for coin, but because of a strong belief system. Naturally, he gets along best with Cernd, Keldorn, Mazzy, Aerie, Yoshimo and Jaheira but clashes with Korgan, Haer'Dalis, Edwin, Minsc, Valygar and Nalia. He finds a kindred spirit in Anomen, due to their common love of order, and despises Jan, because of his completely random and chaotic nature. He has a plus 1 axe, which he calls 'the Taxidermist', armour made from the pelt of a bugbear shaman, which gives him a health bonus, and a lasso which works like a wand of paralyzation, which has three charges a day. He is also hunting Firkraag, and has been since he was tricked into killing his own party. As the story progresses, more about his life as an Uthgardt, his parents, his Byrn Shander education and his party are revealed. What do people think?

It shows potential. Will he discuss why he's travelled so far South? Do you plan on having any quests? I'd suggest they're not absolutely essential at this stage.

You mentioned previously you were using the default half-orc portrait from the game. It might be worth investigating getting a custom one for him.

It sounds pretty neat, onl;y I am a bit uncomfortable with a person who'd hate the wilderness to get along with Cernd too well. I understand Jaheira - she is a reasonable lady, and dislikes the extremists herself, but Cernd while a friendly man, he does put all of his heart into serving nature. On the other hand, from a very lawful character's perspective, Cernd backed away from a vow he had made to a woman which led to the unfortunate events, so Cernd is hardly a Mr. Please-the-Lawful-Crowd. He is more of a horrible warning of what breaking your word gets you for them, me thinks.

It sounds pretty neat, onl;y I am a bit uncomfortable with a person who'd hate the wilderness to get along with Cernd too well. I understand Jaheira - she is a reasonable lady, and dislikes the extremists herself, but Cernd while a friendly man, he does put all of his heart into serving nature. On the other hand, from a very lawful character's perspective, Cernd backed away from a vow he had made to a woman which led to the unfortunate events, so Cernd is hardly a Mr. Please-the-Lawful-Crowd. He is more of a horrible warning of what breaking your word gets you for them, me thinks.

Yeh, you're right. I have to start looking at their actions rather than their alignments.

Ok everyone, I need help with banter. 1) How do I test it? When do NPCs decide to interact? Because when my NPC and Edwin are together (that is my first banter) they don't do anything. 2) Is this all right, because nothing is happening!

BEGIN ~BLarok~

CHAIN

IF ~InParty("Edwin")

See("Edwin")

!StateCheck("Edwin",STATE_SLEEPING)

Global("EdwinLarokTalk","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BLarok LarokTalk

~I have been watching you red one. You scowl when e'er I talk and you spit when e'er I cross your path. How is it that one of your deplorable race, who... who *abuse* the gift of civilization, submitting themselves to the whims of *monsters*, could find such distaste in a simple hunter?~

DO ~SetGlobal("EdwinLarokTalk","LOCALS",1)~

== BEDWIN

~To call you *simple* would be an understatement, you base-born, hog-faced, fen-dwelling excrement! I only spit at your feet so that I might provide you with a traveling companion *worthy* of your half-formed race! Ugh! You disgusting creature, your very presence makes me feel sick to my stomach! I would ask you to never, ever, *ever* speak with me again!~

== BLAROK

~Suit yourself, red one. But let it be known to you that the traits I share with my father's race are purely physical. I am no savage.~

== BEDWIN

~I told you not to speak to me again, orc (though I doubt your tiny mind could process even the simplest stringing together of Common words). If ever I feel the need to talk with someone of your status and brains, I will visit the apes in the circus! Now silence yourself!~

== BLAROK

~**Larok grabs Edwin by the front of his robe and lifts him from the ground so that their eyes are level with eachother.** If you refer to me by the name of my father's race *once* more, I will skin you and sell your hide to the tanner. Do I make myself clear, red one?~

== BEDWIN

~Y-yes. Of course. I u-understand completely.~

EXIT

Archived