Dialogue Editing help

BG Hacker

You don't need to edit dialog.tlk, WeiDU adds the strings to dialog.tlk on his own while you install your mods.

You should simply write your clean D code, and WeiDU will take care of all the details underlying (and then some! :down: ). Have you tried reading the http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,52.0.html guide to a simple NPC creation? it should cover most of the basis and you can work everything from there.

Also, I need some good voices for a soundset, my voice is too high and sqeaky, I need a deep voice, and several Mage-like voices, and a calm and calculating voice for an assassin. once i have the dialogue written out I can say what the dialogue is....

You don't need to edit dialog.tlk, WeiDU adds the strings to dialog.tlk on his own while you install your mods.

You should simply write your clean D code, and WeiDU will take care of all the details underlying (and then some!  :down: ). Have you tried reading the http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,52.0.html guide to a simple NPC creation? it should cover most of the basis and you can work everything from there.

thanks, now I need voices.

You are not alone in that, and it is very difficult to find voice actors.

Well, is there anyone that wants to be a voice over?

My advice is to leave that until the dialogue is written and fairly stable (i.e. you aren't gonna be making changes to it). Then you can ask for voice actors and say exactly who the character is and when you need the clips for. That way people can see whether they want to play the part and whether they have time.

You are not alone in that, and it is very difficult to find voice actors.

Well, is there anyone that wants to be a voice over?

My advice is to leave that until the dialogue is written and fairly stable (i.e. you aren't gonna be making changes to it). Then you can ask for voice actors and say exactly who the character is and when you need the clips for. That way people can see whether they want to play the part and whether they have time.

Okay, well, is there anyone who is good at dialoge editing who can code this stuff for me? my computer is very hinky when it comes to mod making, so I need someone who is good at it, because my computer is not very forgiving for even simplemistakes, See, one mistake and I lose at least 10 mb of memory, the program neve r unistalls no matter WHAT you dou, and the program won't work right ever again. All because it can't find an extra feature. I am currently writing the script, here is a little snippet:

Thomalio Andersai(one of your apprentices if yor a mage): [option 1]Good afternoon, master, what is it you require?

{1} I require you to move, *Apprentice*.

APPRENTICE:(response) Yes master! (scuries away)<end>

{2} I think we shall __________(this entry changes each time you select it, to show a continueance in education of your apprentice, and it does something different every time)</dialogue> <start action 1>

<OR>

{3} Well, what can you do?

APPRENTICE: I can clean the golems, you can teach me a spell, you can teach me how to make a magic item, I canattempt to make a magic item on my own, I can go and check the power staus of the sphere, and I can run errands.

{1} go clean the golems.</dialogue>

{2} I shall teach you a spell.</dialogue>

{3} Go try to make _______. </dialogue>

{4} Go and see if we need any materials.</dialogue>

{5} Go to town and get ___________</dialogue>

{6} Go and check on how we are doing, powerwise, and if we have enough to travel.</dialogue>

{7} Prepare for Planar Travel!</dialogue>

{4} I require nothing of you at this time.</dialogue>

So, what do you guys think? Also,has anyone ever worked with flash? Because I was wondering if the coding is anything like action scrip, and if can use Flash to make some aspects of my mod, because I am WIZ when it comes to Macromedia Flash!

Interesting little snippet there, it sounds like you've got a lot of stuff in mind for the player to be able to do. You shouldn't need much in the way of programs to make the dialogue part of the mod, just a text editor like Notepad (there are better ones, but Notepad will do it).

In terms of how to do it, there's an excellent tutorial here which tells you how to make a basic NPC. For more information on how dialogue (and D coding) works, I suggest you grab a WeiDu mod, preferably something small so its not too confusing, unzip the contents and have a look through the D files for clues. That's about as far as I've come with things myself and doing a basic D file with that info is fairly easy.

It is a bit of a large file for me to email, but it is included with the official patch so you could get it by installing that again.

That would mean you lose changes you've made to your game files, but then again if you'd lost dialog.tlk you'd have already lost most of it anyway.

The problem is everyone's dialog.tlk is different based on what mods they have installed, what patchs are installed and what language its in.

In the nicest possible way what is going on with your computer? Nothing BG2 related will delete your chiten.key or your dialog.tlk.

Sounds like a Virus.

I know, my computer is way overdue for a major overhaul. But I am thinking more and more every day that it may be time to just start over.*sigh* I was careless and stupid with my computer, so now I'm screwed. So much for a mod. Thats it, I'm convinced, I am strating over. I have been putting tis off for too long. II would have done it sooner, but I didn't really want to start over. Great..... well, thanks. :):down::down::devil:

Archived