Kivan as part of LoI...

Grim Squeaker

However, the NPCs shouldn't just feel that they were tacked on and could easily be made seperate without much of an impact on its material i.e. the new NPCs should feel somehow imbedded in the LoIness not just new NPCs for the sake of them.

Okay, I get you now.

The problem is, there are many people in the community who complain when aspects of the mod are too connected to certain joinable NPCs (since they want to do the new quest, but dislike the NPC or whatever), so it's a bit of a balancing act really. IMHO the best way to do this is have the joinable NPC be connected to certain non-joinable NPCs who will also give/be a part of quests not related to the joinable character, if you follow me :down:.

EDIT: Or have the joinable NPCs give a quest/quests even if they don't join the party, ala Edwin and Nalia.

As mentioned, that's what's being done with Kivan, and it's the plan for Jaina too; f.ex she'll play a role in the crossing the Cloud Peaks quest, but it won't be neccessary to have her in the party to do it. Elai I'm not too sure about since he's Andyr's character, but it would definitely be nice to have people connected to Elai be a part of quests that don't neccessarily involve Elai.

I guess (and it is my opinion only) that one of the questions is: Okay, Kivan/Elai/Branwen/someone else is a part of "Lands of Intrigue". But why them? Why are not other NPCs allowed to participate? And most importantly, what for?

The way I see it, any and all NPC mods are better off on their own.

Many users have no interest in large mods, having been frightened by TDD, TS and NEJ, and may shrink from, say, Kivan because of "Not another BIG MOD!" reason.

As well, "an NPC mod by Andyr" and "a part of LoI, designed by author A, author B.... author L" are two very different things for an average user(me). I vastly prefer the former.

We have a nice and easy Crossmod Banter Pack. If a custom NPC has a quest, some dialogue and many, many interjections in a big mod like "Lands of Intrigue", why not place it here?

But that's just me. I am fine with Kivan where he is, now - I am simply confused. My greatest fear is that Kivan's install will technically become a part of NEJ... er, LOI, and I really, really wouldn't want that.

That's the two ends of the spectrum. Some people I guess would want mods in as little increments as possible, some had suggested in the past mega-mods merging everything, and BP represents a compromise between the two poles there.

Why not Cross-Mod banter pack? Well, I don't think that CBM is designed to accomodate quests and interjections. In fact, doing so, will make CBM in a BP version that ensures not the "technical" but "logical" compatibility between the endless individual mods. Let CMB do what it does best: bringing together the authors, whose mods were never intended to be an integral part from one another.

In this case, for what it's worth, Nightmare postulated that Kivan is a part of LOI, and he will participate in it etc. All I did was to supply character development for him that was needed.

I don't know if eventually LOI NPCs will be available as separate installs, but to be honest, the way I see an LOI is as a piece of a puzzle to fall into a place on BG2 field, enhancing BG2 in both its quest content and its NPC composition. Unlike NEJ it is not a partial conversion that will allow you to play a mini-game while being ported out of BG2. It will add a few stories, and integrate a few characters into it.

If that's going to scare people away or, on the opposite attract them... Well, who knows but the prophets, who rarely occupy themselves with the modding community bussiness, me think. One thing I feel certain about - it is for the best to have one version of Kivan in BG2, no matter what mods are installed, and I will gladly work towards that goal. That's said, I have no problems with someone developping an alternative version either, if they feel strongly that they must do it. I feel that in the end sacrificing being an author of an independent mod in favor of a unified Kivan is a good descision, a blow to my pride or not.

I guess (and it is my opinion only) that one of the questions is: Okay, Kivan/Elai/Branwen/someone else is a part of "Lands of Intrigue". But why them? Why are not other NPCs allowed to participate? And most importantly, what for?

The way I see it, any and all NPC mods are better off on their own.

Many users have no interest in large mods, having been frightened by TDD, TS and NEJ, and may shrink from, say, Kivan because of "Not another BIG MOD!" reason.

As well, "an NPC mod by Andyr" and "a part of LoI, designed by author A, author B.... author L" are two very different things for an average user(me). I vastly prefer the former.

With regards to Elai, he'll probably remain standalone since I cut back my original plans. The old posts should probably be edited to reflect this.

Guest Guest_Michael_*

hmm, just to add a lil support to domi, im not 100% sure about the disagreemeant here. but if it is about mulitple mods instead of one large one. As long as it remains compaitble with other ones, and dont make things compulsery im happy with the one large mod.

also i think domi is right to want one unified kivan, than mulltple kivan mods ones.

will kivan in LOI still be compatible with yasraena, solaufein, and tsujatha? would that even be recommended putting those npc's in a game with LOI? i'm sorry if this question was already answered.

Also, again, sorry if this was answered, but is Kivan going to be voiced or have a new soundset?

I am pretty positive that Kivan's compatibility with other NPC mods will remain intact once LOI is released.

Kivan will be voiced the day a suicidal maniac with suitable voice shows up and records some 300 to 400 lines.

I most likely won't be testing LoI with the Yasraena, Solaufein, or Tsujatha myself, though we may well end up with beta testers who include those mods in their install.

Having said that, I can't think of any planned content that would interfere with any NPC mods, though there will be a few minor cosmetic problems. For example, bows and crossbows from the original game have been altered considerably (range, speed, etc), and any new ones added by 3rd party mods won't be affected.

One optional component of the mod will allow you to assign subraces to Bioware and LoI NPCs, but other new NPCs will remain unaffected. If there is demand, and the relevant mod authors grant permission, I could expand this component to certain NPC mods.

question, not sure if this has been said anywhere.

if i have kivan installed, then i install LOI when it is released it wont overright Kivan will it. i will have to unistall kivan right. just thought i would ask.

Archived