Raistlin Majere for BG2!

Guest KingMick

Guest KingMick

Many of you know the famous archmage Raistlin Majere of the Dragonlance Books? Well, I was wandering Faerun the other day and decided to pay a visit to Amn, and he was standing outside the Adventurer's Mart looking a little confused. He says he needs help getting back to the spirit realm and his brother Caramon. I told him we had lots of BG2 players who'd be willing to help!

Here's the link to the fully-funcitoning Alpha version of the mod:

Creek-Stone Entertainment

Do NOT go there! I suggested the same thing a while back and got absolutely BLASTED!

Actually, you suggested porting The Nameless One from PST into BG2. That's quite different. Not that I recommend making important canon characters joinable either, but you did suggest something quite different to what he's done.

Well, it's not entirely clear from the post if the guy made a joinable out of the major canon god-like figure (and if yes, if it's just a "mule" NPC with join-in/kick out/soundset or a fully-fledged modern NPC) or a quest-giver. The second is better than the first, certainly, though not by much, providing that he is from a different world, should not be there and all that.

It's Just Yet Another Uninspired Mod NPC . Just checked the readme.

Basic 5 state unjoined DLG (without NumTimesTalkedTo special lines), 2 state P dialogue, 9 banters, a basic soundset, and a badly-scanned-from-a-book portrait. It doesn't even use oggdec for the soundset.

Oh, and the usual 'we intend to do it better' bullshit. So far, I've seen that happen exactly once (will not mention that said case was Kivan otherwise Domi might blush). Legend has that some mods (E.G. Kelsey) managed to pull off a 'X first, then we'll add Y later' sequence and get completed, but that was before my time.

Ah, well. Thank you for clearing it up. I'll blush shamefacedly anyway, and say again to anyone who wants to make a mod: Don't do what I did with Kivan; it's really a bullshit to "do it later" and if there were reasons for it in the times when Kelsey and Solaufein were young, there is none now. ;)

Mick, here's a thing I don't get. Why did you decide to expand the advertising of this mod when you know that even the little content you have (namely majority of your banters) does not work? ;) I do agree with people here that taking a canon character is a very bad idea, but the fact that the mod is not even functioning properly makes it just worse.

Guest KingMick

Sorry for taking so long to reply--as I said before, I posted this on several forums.

In answer to the many questions that have come up...

First of all, Meira, the banters should work just fine. They work great on my machine--I thought at first that they did not, but then found out I just hadn't played long enough.

Second, in regards to bringing in a major "canon" NPC: I am first of all sorry that there are some posts here which have chosen to express their disagreement in such an immature and rather profane way. If you don't like the idea of a mod that brings Raistlin into BG2, then may I make the most obvious suggestion: don't download it. This mod, like all mods, is for people who are interested in it, not for people who aren't. My thanks to those who offered constructive criticism in a mature and tactful way, of course.

Third, in regards to progress: I was not aware that so many other mods had promised progress and then not made any. I will not fall into this category; I am mostly done with the completed version of the Raistlin mod, it will hopefully be available later this week. I have one glitch I am trying to iron out, and some interjects to write, and then the mod is complete.

This is, of course, my very first mod and because I knew it would probably be a small one, I chose a famous character. It had nothing to do with originality or lack thereof, I simply thought it would be fun to have Raist in the game. The mod will probably never be huge, and was never intended to be. I have another mod in the workings that is entirely original, but it will be a long time before I release it, if ever.

I hope that clears up any questions. Those who want the mod can use the link posted above--other things besides this mod will eventually be available there too.

Thank you for the good commentary so far.

Sorry for taking so long to reply--as I said before, I posted this on several forums.

In answer to the many questions that have come up...

First of all, Meira, the banters should work just fine.  They work great on my machine--I thought at first that they did not, but then found out I just hadn't played long enough.

You're honestly telling me that this and others that have NPC's death variable with B-prefix work? I didn't re-post your dialogue, but here's the code.

CHAIN
IF ~InParty("BVICONI")
See("BVICONI")
!StateCheck("BVICONI",STATE_SLEEPING)
Global("RaistVicTalk1","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BVICONI VicTemptsRaist
~Viconia line 1~
DO ~SetGlobal("RaistVicTalk1","LOCALS",1)~
==BKM#RAIS
~Raistlin line 1~
==BVICONI
~Viconia line 2~
==BKM#RAIS
~Raistlin line 2~
==BVICONI
~Viconia line 3~
==BKM#RAIS
~Raistlin line 3~
==BVICONI
~Viconia line 4~
==BKM#RAIS
~Raistlin line 4~
EXIT

Additionally, as I told you at PPG you should not check Viconia's state when she's the one starting the banter. If you have it like this and Raistlin is not in the party or is dead or sleeping Viconia can still start this banter. No-one will respond though, and in my book that counts as a bug.

Guest KingMick

Hmmm, I'm glad you brought that to my attention, Meira. If you downloaded the file recently (within the last couple of days), then the code you are re-printing here should not still be in that file. I fixed that a long time ago and uploaded it. Clearly something went wrong with my upload. I'm already a good deal of the way through the completed version of the mod, though, and no longer have the alpha on my computer. Rather than upload a halfway-between-alpha-and-complete version, it'll have to wait until I finish the complete--but as I said, that should be within the next week, it won't take very much longer.

So in the meantime, sorry folks, the banters don't work ;) . But they will.

Archived