Guest Posting Enabled

CamDawg

Yeah, but then again, having to enter code with some numbers and letters looking like one another or being cut off by the frame a-la Spellhold is not all that cool either. I do like guest posting without much restrictions, and generally Cam's filters do a marvelous job of stopping the hopefull spammers.

I don't exactly want to say it's for people who are less brave, because a lot of people I respect have made many posts as guests. Maybe for those of us with a fear of commitment? Or at least a fear of typing their e-mail address into a box? :(

I think at least one group is - those who do not want to be a member of a particular forum. :( But I'd put a "I want to get an answer to my question/put in my two cents, and I do not want to spend extra time registering" as the most popular motivation.

I think it might be a good idea to add one of those anti-bot visual verification fields for guest posts (i.e. make a guest poster enter the code from the image before being allowed to post). It could reduce the spambot activities which seem to be plaguing the board ATM.

Cam's filters generally are pretty good, and we try to delete the spam that slips through asap. It's better imo than an unwelcoming jesture of assuming that all guests are spammers and making them jump through the hoops of registration or additional 'security'. If people want to post spam they will find way of posting spam. On the other hand, a good old-fashioned guest confronted with the suspicion etc might not post, and it would be a pity.

Archived