NWN 2 Official Site

Bri

I see they've included the Warlock base class. I'd have expected psionics to make an appearance before the Warlock, given that psionic creatures are well-known in Faerun while Warlocks (AFAIK) don't make any appearance in FR material.

Heh, I know what you are saying Andyr. Of course, the way psionics was introduced was always a bit slap-dash...especially if you remember how they were implemented in 1st Edition AD&D

And I feel your pain Neriana, but I don't think there really is much choice. Even before WotC was bought out by Hasbro, they had been in the process of ending various gamelines/gameworlds. Dark Sun, Greyhawk, etc. all got the ax. I may be mistaken, but they decided to just focus on the Forgotten Realms...

Dark Sun, Greyhawk, etc. all got the ax.

The "core" D&D products are still based around Greyhawk, using gods from that world, etc.

I may be mistaken, but they decided to just focus on the Forgotten Realms...

I wouldn't say Wizards' focus is on the Forgotten Realms right now... quite the opposite, in fact. It's Eberron that they seem to be pushing above everything else. In fact, the current Wizards management seems to care more about Magic: the Gathering and Star Wars RPG than they do about the FR.

Dark Sun, Greyhawk, etc. all got the ax.

The "core" D&D products are still based around Greyhawk, using gods from that world, etc.

I'm not sure that they are in particular anymore... I think they're set in just a generic world, which was based on Greyhawk's deities and ecology. But I think Greyhawk itself was discontinued and is only carried on as the unofficial "Living Greyhawk" campaign.

I'm not sure that they are in particular anymore... I think they're set in just a generic world, which was based on Greyhawk's deities and ecology. But I think Greyhawk itself was discontinued and is only carried on as the unofficial "Living Greyhawk" campaign.

Nope Andyr, they're still based on Greyhawk. I know this for sure. The only solid evidence I can provide you with in this moment is the Epic Level Handbook. Under the "Epic Characters Section" it provides you with characters from three or four worlds, and states in the "Greyhawk" section that this is what the D&D game is based upon.

Also, every God and spellcreator (Bigby, Mordenkainen, etc.) is from Greyhawk. Some are whispering that the next system that will be released will be set in Eberron, due to its succes in sales.

Well, whether or not it still exists, I sure miss Greyhawk. I started with the little booklets, even Swords & Sorcery miniatures, and graduated up through Gygax's 2nd Ed. before moving away to Sci Fi for a few years. I heard an NPR broadcast with Gygax at the release of the online D&D game just a few weeks ago -- is he still even involved at Wizard? Bigby, et. al were the original guys' player characters; talk about canon "godhood" - have entire generations of RPG players use YOUR character's inventions!

I will go look it up on my dusty Greyhawk campaign map, but the City of Greyhawk had trade with a city called "Waterdeep", and was just to the north of a wild area called "The Sword Coast"... somewhere the Duchy of Tethyr?

Oh, hmm. So why is Living Greyhawk going on? Or is it just that they're not making any Greyhawk-specific sourcebooks (e.g. no analogue of the Waterdeep sourcebook for some Greyhawk city)?

Easy answer: Money.

Complicated answer: Well, D&D is first and foremost a rulesystem. Greyhawk is a campaign setting. D&D is set in Greyhawk, but doesn't describe things such as geography, history, etc.

I didnt miss most of the other campaign settings dying off, but i sure miss Planescape. It was unique in that it wasnt the usual 'knights, priests and wizards on sundry world' that almost all the other campaigns are based on. I mean, beleif defining reality? Now thats a powerful concept, both for players and the DM.

The MOST interesting campaign setting IMO was Spelljammer, but it was just too far out to last :p

Archived