Just a thought

Bri

I know this idea probably won't fly, but here goes anyway. Would Delainy's canine attributes ex. heightened sense of smell and hearing provide her some measure of defense verses hidden or invisible foes? Say to the tune of immunity to backstab, scalable chance to detect illusions. I know there are balance concerns, but in light of her nerfed ww innates, this seems almost reasonable.

I had been thinking about something along the same lines. One ability I meant to include but did not was a track animals ability, similar to the ranger's. Immunity to backstab might be a bit much.

Any one have ideas or thought on something like this? A chance to detect illusions, perhaps?

Yeah, a chance to detect invisibility/illusions seems reasonable. Perhaps the chance would be bigger when she's in wolf/hybrid form? In 3rd edition D&D, there's a feat called "scent" that would probably be useful for inspiration, but I can't remember exactly what it does at the moment...

JPS

Maybe a chance to "cast" detect invisibility when Del stands still for long enough? That'd probably be harsh on game performance though...  :D

Del's werewolf senses needn't enable her to detect invisibility, since werewolves in PnP can't do it. Just because she can smell something stongly, doesn't mean it's right in front of her, though it might make her suspicious, especially if she hears something odd at the same time. In PnP, of course, suspicion gives you lots of options, but computer games are sadly limited in this regard.  :D

Have as part of her scripting, if there's an invisible creature in the vicinity, she displays floating text stating that she senses something.(say within visable range) and if it is very close she could display that she senses something near(within 5 - 10 feet)

From what I've seen it should actually be relatively easy to script.

In light of BigRob's comments, I think I'm leaning towards something simlar to the ranger's track animals ability, or whatever it's called. Grey is right though, the floating text warning for invisible creatures is easy to script, though I doubt it would be much use. Usually whenever an invisible enemy is nearby the player already knows about it. :D

Strike my last post. That method would be the most intuitive but it looks like it may be nigh impossible on a bard--I'm still checking.

Suggestions, anyone?

Effects Immunities (Here's the general affect, long list after)

0x00000065

# (put #'s from list here, for specific affects)

0x00000001

0x00000001

144 is Disable Buttons

this was how i reactivated keldorn's turn undead ability...

now i'm just guessing that you can't bring up in a bard's interface the detect traps button...so this might work...it might even bump a bard ability into the innates tab...i've seen that happen when i made a cleric thief multi...has anyone ever tried to make a bard a full thief???

In light of BigRob's comments, I think I'm leaning towards something simlar to the ranger's track animals ability, or whatever it's called. Grey is right though, the floating text warning for invisible creatures is easy to script, though I doubt it would be much use. Usually whenever an invisible enemy is nearby the player already knows about it. :D

well, the fireshield usually gives them away... :D:D:D

now i'm just guessing that you can't bring up in a bard's interface the detect traps button...so this might work...it might even bump a bard ability into the innates tab...i've seen that happen when i made a cleric thief multi...has anyone ever tried to make a bard a full thief???

You can turn buttons on and off with the disable and reenable button effect, unfortunately the button has to be there in the first place. :D

The buttons themselves are hardcoded(I belive)

The Cleric/thief has its own set of buttons, so having the open locks in the innate ability section is sadly only part of the hard coding.

Sorry. :D

Planetears use a invisiblity detection by script method that allows them to attack invisible enemies if the player does not give them a target.  The enemy remains invisible, but if the planetear is left alone it will wander over and start smacking the invisible enemy.  I do have the gMinion scripts installed, but I think I've seen the "detect invisible by script" effect used several other times.

The buttons are hardcoded, but I think I may be able to add something to the star icon.

The more I think about it, the less convinced I am that she should be able to detect illusions or invisible creatures. I hate to bring physics into a discussion about magic, but I am a geek... Infravision does not detect invisible creatures, so we can conclude that magic invisibility suppresses or hides the source of visible and IR radiation. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to extend the concept to all wavelengths and particles, thereby suppressing any smell the creature may have as well.

In addition, most of the time we would want her to find illusions or invisible creatures would be in the thick of battle, which (to me, at any rate) would be the least likely time she could do it. Press of bodies, adrenaline, sweat, blood, someone trying to poke her with a pointy stick, etc. When the party is traveling and she has time to actually stop and smell the wind it makes sense that she would be able to determine what is around. I think this would be something more in line with a clairvoyance or track animals ability.

Well, I look at it this way.  As I said I am not averse to her being able to pick out illusions.

On the other hand is it really necessary?  Heh, and one other thing to bear in mind is that in human form she won't have the superior hearing and smell that a wolf has.

And yes, Camdawg, I would be willing to agree that unless she was actively on lookout, suspecting something unusual, she wouldn't necessarily detect an invisible creature when invisible (Not unless it was someone who hadn't bathed in 5 years standing upwind...)

Archived