Edwin and Dynaheir

Guest musekissing

Guest musekissing

I have a question concerning the Edwin-Dynaheir relationship.

In an banter with the PC Edwin promises to kill Dynaheir (who is in the party also)

via an 'accident'. It is now 20 in-game days later and nothing happened.

Does this 'accident' ever happen or is my hope for naught?

There is also this global EDWINKILLSDYNAHEIR which is 3340529 ...

I'm sorry - I don't usually put Edwin in conflict with Dynaheir, as I prefer the "LG Crusade" style and have greatly admired the Dynaheir work BG1NPC does, so no ready answer is available here.

I will try to investigate the files tonight and see if the timer you report is used to trigger an attack by E on D. I may or may not be able to come up with an answer -- Domi is the expert who can remember what was coded. The rest of us have to do some serious digging to get close!

Unfortunately, no success. I searched all D files in the BG1NPC project, and checked the obvious BAFs, but found no references. Awesome conflict banters, though - next time, I will definitely put these two together.That probably means that I have missed it somewhere, but at least you know someone tried!

As I read through, though, two things occurred to me...

3340529 game seconds (/60/60/24)= 38.66 game days, so it may be coming up on you soon, or

you could expire the timer, and see what happens!

Guest musekissing

Thanks for your efforts ... at least someone tried. :)

Erm ... you must know, I'm not a native speaker.

Do you mean by 'expire' "expand the global" or does it means "set it to a special score that automatically triggers the event"?

Well, to be honest the second option would be rather odd. :)

I believe Cmorgan is talking about setting the variable to make the interaction happen. There should be two variables, one that tracks when the thing is supposed to happen and one to track what time it currently is. If someone can tell you what the "when will this happen" variable is and you set it to 1, then the interaction should take place (assuming all other conditions for it are met).

BigRob is right - that is what I meant. You probably want to wait for Domi, or just keep playing. The only reason I suggested that you might try to hurry things along and see what happens is that you provided the variable that needs to be set to 1:

Since the value is so large , it is almost certainly a timer, either LOCALS or GLOBAL.

This confuses me, because almost all BG1NPC global variables are supposed to use the prefix X# (example: "X#DynaheirRomanceInactive").

If you are interested in digging up an early answer, you might take a look around the forums to see how to use SetGlobalTimer. I know from personal experience that before you try experimenting, PLEASE make an archive save! I didn't the first time I tried to mess around with these ideas ... :) .

BigRob is right - that is what I meant. You probably want to wait for Domi, or just keep playing. The only reason I suggested that you might try to hurry things along and see what happens is that you provided the variable that needs to be set to 1:

Since the value is so large , it is almost certainly a timer, either LOCALS or GLOBAL.

This confuses me, because almost all BG1NPC global variables are supposed to use the prefix X# (example: "X#DynaheirRomanceInactive").

Are you sure it's a mod variable, and not part of the original game?

Could be -- perhaps a forum search over in Sorcerer's Place or the other BG forums might get some more answers. As far as I can tell from what musekissing posted, it doesn't look like part of BG1NPC.

Guest musekissing

But there are also globals like DYFRIENDTALK and JAFRIENDTALK without 'X#'

and these are surely part of BG1NPC.

I also would be a little confused were it core BG globals as it is not possible to get E&D together in a party in core BG. When you encounter Dynaheir, have to decide whom you take ...

Actually, some of our very early globals did not have the prefixes, as the work was done sooo long ago. There is a part in Edwin's script where he kills Dynaheir off. It really does not have any content, it just plays Edwin's music and kills Dynaheir. The conditions to be met are:

("EdwinKillsDynaheir","GLOBAL") timer expired (easily replicated by setting it to 1)

The party should be "rested" (ie just woken up after a night of rest

and

Global("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL") should be at 5 (easily replicated by setting this value to 5)

it could be that the conditions are conflicting and the event never occur. I will try to check into it at some point. :p

Archived