Rikasha and the LureMaster

Guest Don

After you repair the portal in TotLM, Rikasha won't go with you. Here he is, pissed at the LM and moaning about being a prisoner, with a chance to either get free or go after the LM and nothing.

Rikasha could be pissed enough at the LM to get an unique racial specialty and kill the LM almost single-handedly. Maybe he has a weapon or magical object the LM lost and would give it to the party.

If you want to move away from all hack'n'slash, maybbe a better idea would be that Rikasha has a spell or a scrying glass that allows the once high priest of Helm to see what he has become and begin to do himself in, after giving you spells, items, XP or some such other thing. Rikasha could go get the fallen palladin of Helm to talk to the LM and perhaps the palladin gets his position back while they all help get rid of the remaining spirits.

My point is that there are so many possible ends to TotLM that are better and make more sense, the current end is waste.

Yes, you could avoid the new dialog with Rikasha and have thte current ending, if desired.

It's been a long while since I played TotLM, but I don't remember a Rikasha there. There was a Rakshasa who basically attacks you, if I remember right and that's what you're talking about. It would be a good little mini-mod to change that part of things so that you can ally with him or do something besides fight.

The Rakshasa ambush the player within the castle after failing to obtain the dungeon key. Rikasha is the only friendly creature (a Jackal) living in the caverns underneath the castle's dungeon.

He does say he's a prisoner, but also that he's old and desires to live the rest of his life in peace. He gives what information he has to help the party activate the portal leading to the castle throne room, but mentions nothing of wanting to help get rid of the Luremaster.

The party isn't allowed to attack the Luremaster until they pass his test of heroism, and then only to grant him the peace he was denied due to his torturous death in the castle's dungeon many years before. (The Luremaster is the tortured spirit of the bard you get to read about in various scrolls and books. I thought it was a sad story so I was always polite to the Luremaster.)

Once the Luremaster is gone, Rikasha is free to do as he pleases. I was glad to be done with the whole mess so I didn't bother going back to talk to him. I assumed he'd find his own way out, and so did Black Isle, apparently.

That he doesn't recognize his freedom if the player returns to him is an oversight, and might enhance the game for the handful of people who bother going back to the cavern after finally escaping from it. I don't see him offering to help in the battle with the Luremaster, but I do see him offering thanks to the player for re-activating the portal so he can go where he pleases. All in all, a very minor addition.

The IWD series was designed for people who love combat above all else. There's just enough quest reading to tie all the battles together.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I meant that Rikasha might want to leave when you first go through the portal, and it would seem that after all the answers he gave and time he spent making sure nobody disturbed your rest, you'd owe him that.

Going through the portal, he would see the LureMaster and given his attitude likely come out of 'retirement' for one last fight. Now, you can have something as simple as a hack'n'slash with a new ally, to the LM focusing on Rikasha to a new type of ending based on what Rikasha knows or says. Further, as Rikasha knew where the portal went before going through, he might take anybody or anything with him, such as equipment that would change the encounter or the fallen Palladin.

As both the LureMaster and the Palladin had served Helm, this may be the most interesting encounter.

The Rakshasa ambush the player within the castle after failing to obtain the dungeon key. Rikasha is the only friendly creature (a Jackal) living in the caverns underneath the castle's dungeon.

He does say he's a prisoner, but also that he's old and desires to live the rest of his life in peace. He gives what information he has to help the party activate the portal leading to the castle throne room, but mentions nothing of wanting to help get rid of the Luremaster.

The party isn't allowed to attack the Luremaster until they pass his test of heroism, and then only to grant him the peace he was denied due to his torturous death in the castle's dungeon many years before. (The Luremaster is the tortured spirit of the bard you get to read about in various scrolls and books. I thought it was a sad story so I was always polite to the Luremaster.)

Once the Luremaster is gone, Rikasha is free to do as he pleases. I was glad to be done with the whole mess so I didn't bother going back to talk to him. I assumed he'd find his own way out, and so did Black Isle, apparently.

That he doesn't recognize his freedom if the player returns to him is an oversight, and might enhance the game for the handful of people who bother going back to the cavern after finally escaping from it. I don't see him offering to help in the battle with the Luremaster, but I do see him offering thanks to the player for re-activating the portal so he can go where he pleases. All in all, a very minor addition.

The IWD series was designed for people who love combat above all else. There's just enough quest reading to tie all the battles together.

Archived