100% spell memorization

Drew

From some dickhead over at sorceror's place (me):

Actually, if G3 tweaks were to set the memorization chance to 150% instead of 100% the chances of failure really would be 0%. Memorization failure will never happen if you do it that way. That's what I do in my game.

I always figured the 100% (and, hence, the slight chance of failure) thing was by design, so I never said anything about this. At any rate, adding the option to really have a 0% failure chance would be a neat optional component. While you're at it, why not remove the intelligence limit for spells known and the intelligence requirement for memorizing high level spells as an optional component? The main purpose of this feature, for me at least, was to save the headache of having Jan chug two potions of genius before scribing his scrolls......so I think that would be a welcome addition.

Unless I've gotten lucky about 300 times in a row. I play at core difficulty. I tested my initial theory by upping the chance to 150%, taking 3 wizards, buying every scroll in athkatla and scribing them. There were no failures. I have used this as a "shotgun to the override" for about a year and a half and have never had a spell learning failure with it.

Guest Guest
Cheers, will give it a shot.

i tried this in insane difficulty and in fact it didn't work most of the times it fails so i guess you are only ok in easy or core, i always have to slide the difficulty to easy before learning new spells.

This component still sets the chance of success to 100%, which is why there is a 5% (I'm pretty darn certain the game rounds since, at 100%, the failure rate is a lot higher than 1%) failure rate for you. At easy, you automatically succeed at memorization attempts. There is no difference between core, hard, or insane for spell memorization.

Guest Guest

Just finished an easytutu game with the 100% chance installed and for some reason Dynaheir toasted almost every scroll I gave her, took 4 hastes for her to scribe one, needed a remove curse, had a scroll, tried to get her to scribe it, failed, createitem another one (didn't feel like running to get one) and failed, create another one failed, create another failed, create 3 of them at once took 2 more to get it written, so it even more then 5% chance, but then again I'm extreamly unlucky on the rolls in this game.

Hello -

I can verify that there are some problems with this component. The G3 tweaks version wasn't working for me on a BG2 test run I was going to do. My test run never really got off the ground, but I do remember Xan failing to learn scrolls in the Tutorial.

Hmm. It's patching right where it's supposed to--for the folks with failed memorizations, were you on difficulties greater than normal? Drew, can you check with 150% on insane? I wonder if the engine is knocking down the rate a bit for the higher difficulties.

While you're at it, why not remove the intelligence limit for spells known and the intelligence requirement for memorizing high level spells as an optional component?  The main purpose of this feature, for me at least, was to save the headache of having Jan chug two potions of genius before scribing his scrolls......so I think that would be a welcome addition.

Never responded to this part, but sure. You'll have two choices--100% learn spells, and a second alternative where you'll get 100% learn spells and no limits on number of memorized spells, max spell level, etc.

Hello -

Hmm. It's patching right where it's supposed to--for the folks with failed memorizations, were you on difficulties greater than normal?

I always play on Core Rules. In the case of Tutorial Xan, his INT is so high that he basically cannot fail, which is why the failure there was so conspicuous.

Archived