Auren's Swords and the Iron Crisis

Deathsangel

Guest Guest
Correct. With these timelines I believe Charname should be around 15, cause the Time of Troubles wasn't that long ago yet.

It depends. Sometimes it can be really hard to tell. Some of the novels that WotC publish don't have an exact year listed for the events. Other times, major events that do occur in the Forgotten Realms are never mentioned.

The Starlight and Shadows series (which consists of Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, and the Wind Walker by Elaine Cunningham. A very good series btw) has several major events in it. One of which has the main character, Liriel Baenre, discovers an artifact that allows drow to use their innate magical abilites on the surface unhindered.

As of yet, I have to find a Forgotten Realms novel outside of the Starlight and Shadows series where these events have reprocussions.

Guest Guest

Sorry, forgot to add this to my last post. Anyway, my point is, by now the Time of Troubles could have been a decade or several decades ago by now.

It's one of these issues that have been debating again and again and again, with no decent conclusion. We can't really approximate how long the Time of Troubles was, nor (apart from the tiny bits of information in game e.g. you have just come of age), how old your character is.

Oh, and anyone mentioning the fact elves 'come of age' at 120ish will be killed without warning (except this one).

Also, anyone mentioning the fact that Auren is too young an elf to be an adventurer will be destroyed. If you don't understand this statement: yay for you! Don't worry about it.

For those of you who know what I am talking about...well...please just take the advice.

Guest Guest

:rolleyes: The way I understood it, Bhaal walked the land *before* the cataclysm. As in, for years, perhaps centuries preceding the Time of Troubles, Bhaal was sowing the seeds of his rebirth (or so he hoped). Just look at some of his spawn in ToB: a fire giant, drow, even a dragon; heck, there's even a draconic grand-spawn running around! You don't get that in less than a hundred years, much less 15!

...Okay, I'm done.

Guest Guest_berelinde_*

About Thunderhammer sword not crumbling.

That's not terribly surprising, and in real life, it has an obvious explanation.

Blacksmiths tend to keep bar stock lying around for ages. Sure, they're always using it, but they're always buying it, too. And they put the new stuff on top.

My father was a blacksmith, as was his father. Sure, he would need to go out and buy more metal, but there was always some lying around. He tended to just sort his stock by type and not worry too much about what he bought when. It's entirely possible that some of the stock he had could have been there since the days of his father.

Thunderhammer could have had stock from before the iron crisis began.

That makes sense, especially if the contaminant was an oxidizer. Sorry. It's the chemist in me coming out.

You're right: if iron was crumbling because it was mixed with an oxidizer, the crumbling iron would contaminate any iron stock lying about--albeit more slowly, since it would be working from the outside in.

I don't know why I am so fixated with this. I'm willing to take magic in the game at face value, but when it comes to chemicals and iron, my ancestry and profession throw up a lot of roadblocks to suspended disbelief. I'm sorry. Don't take my comments as criticism. It's a personal hang-up.

But your suggestion is 100% correct. Depending on what was used to contaminate the iron, a few pieces could ruin an entire stockpile, no matter when it was originally obtained.

Exactly. I was agreeing with you.

I was just explaining why I had to come up with a reason that would pass my own logic checks.

Enchanted sword: no crumbling

Regular sword, made from old stock: contaminated from contact with new ore, would crumble.

Sorry. The wordy reply was confusing.

The fact that I needed a logic check was kind of silly. It's someone else's story, I should just take it at face value. But, like I said, when it comes to chemistry, I needed a reason that made sense to me.

I'm going back under my rock, now.

Archived