First Impressions

Guest marbre

Guest marbre

I didn't know quite what to expect with this mod (keep in mind that I haven't played though BGII). While the increased banter does add more depth to the characters, the independent actions they take can be frustrating (e.g. monteron initiating a fight in Feldpost's inn right after talking with Marl). A touch too realistic? :)

A lot of hours must have been put into the dialogue, but I think english majors will have a hard time with some spelling and grammatical errors. Last time I checked, "funnily" wasn't found in the dictionary. :)

If you keep a quick log of any language things you find, it would be greatly appreciated -- the Project has had (?<60?) a whole ton of authors from all over the globe for the past few years, and we are always on the lookout for information on typos/inconsistencies.

It would be a great help if you could give "actor" (i.e. Garrick), "setting" (i.e. when he is talking to Imoen about Player 1), and "error" (i.e. he says "Yo, homey, we be chillin' in da Hoodd" - should be spelled " 'hood")

As for the internal consistency stuff, yup -- sometimes NPCs act much more "true to themselves" as opposed to "true to player expectations". To quote Micro$oft, "That's a feature, not a bug " :)

Yeah, we have always welcomed the help of the editors, proofreaders, and folks who caught the typos. I think that each file in the mod was proofread about 4 times on average, but things happen. Please, feel free to report anything that you think is amiss. On another hand, Nightmare is quite right, "funnily" is a legitimate adverb:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/funnily

I understand that some people might have issues with the useage of particular words, especially if they feel that those words are "illegitimate" or somehow compromise English language, but please do give us a slack, but our goal was to produce fun and exciting dialogues, and we did it using the vocabulary we possessed. If you still think there is something wrong in a particular case, please, feel free to post the sentence, and it'll be checked.

Guest Guest
Yeah, we have always welcomed the help of the editors, proofreaders, and folks who caught the typos. I think that each file in the mod was proofread about 4 times on average, but things happen. Please, feel free to report anything that you think is amiss. On another hand, Nightmare is quite right, "funnily" is a legitimate adverb:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/funnily

I understand that some people might have issues with the useage of particular words, especially if they feel that those words are "illegitimate" or somehow compromise English language, but please do give us a slack, but our goal was to produce fun and exciting dialogues, and we did it using the vocabulary we possessed. If you still think there is something wrong in a particular case, please, feel free to post the sentence, and it'll be checked.

I apologize, If I appeared critical -- that wasn't my intent. It is quite apparent that a lot of time went into this. The mod caught me totally off-guard -- i.e. montaron in fieldpost's inn -- which is probably what you were intending. That's good, a refreshing new approach to the story. But some of the dialogue did strike me as rather odd. I see from the link above that "funnily" is indeed a legitimate word. Okay so my vocabulary base is limited (and my oxford desk dictionary doesn't have that word in it). But when my pc spoke to Imoen outside candlekeep overlooking the dead body of Gorion, the caption "Imoen seems a little quiet for her. Funnily enough..." just didn't sound right. In that situation, It was perfectly acceptable that she was quiet, it was a somber time for them. That's all I'm trying to say.

Guest Guest
Last time I checked, "funnily" wasn't found in the dictionary.  :)

Have you seriously never heard the expression "funnily enough"? :)

Anyway, try this: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=funnily

No. I asked my wife, and she wasn't familiar with that expression either. Usually it's "oddly enough." Maybe it's use is tied to certain age groups, or in certain regions?

Guest Guest_berelinde_*

Maybe I'm a freak, but spelling and gramatical errors do not bug me all that much. I'd be forced to make an exception for cases where I've had to put my glasses on and squint at the dialog box to work out what was actually being said. And thre have been times when this has been the case, although not with the BG1NPC Project.

I understand that the authors would like to present the most perfect form possible. And I will make note if I see anything obvious enough to interrupt game play.

I blame the convenience of spell checker software and the spontaneity of IM for my attitude.

The people who write these mods do a lot of typing, and often, I would imagine, late at night after their day jobs. And everyone has a couple words they habitually spell wrong. I myself had to rephrase the last sentence because one of the words I have never mastered is a word which begins with an "m" and means "to spell incorrectly."

Archived